nw shoes: Cooper Discover STT 35X12.50R15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
new shoes: Cooper Discover STT 35X12.50R15

For a while now, I was looking for new tires for my 1973 FJ40. I was torn between the TrXus MT and MTRs but price was a big concern. I only had about 1000 to spend and I still needed to buy a mini steering box mount instead of using the one I fabricated b/c I didn't like the way it turned out. So with that in mind I started reviewing tires online and talking to whom ever I could. I live in a little town and the closest warehouse or large tire chain is about an hour away so having tires shipped to me was an option. Although 4 wheel parts was out (there is a store in Fresno). They wanted 1300 for 4 TrXus MT when the list price is 195. There is an automatic 150 charge just to pull into the shop as a shop fee. What a rip-off! After deciding that the TrXus MTs would be my best bet, I decided on those for around 870 from Barnes 4wd (pirate4x4 distributor) after shipping but not including mounting and balancing which would have brought the price to around 900 to 920.

As I got closer to buying tires for my rig, the wife’s DD needed new tires and my DD truck will need some soon. I decided to stop at a local tire dealer and see what type of deal I could get on tires for my truck and her Grand Cherokee. The local shop is a Cooper distributor. The owner mentioned the Cooper STT Discoverer and I wanted to know what he could do for me if I bought 3 sets of tires off of him. The STT tread pattern is very similar to MTR or TOYO MT. I decided to look into reviews and what people have said about them here and on Pirate and since my rig is a 50/50 split between weekend driving and wheeling, I was curious and he offered them to me mounted and balanced for 750 bucks which is 170 cheaper than the MTRs and enough left over for a spare. (I will get later when I find a matching wheel). Keep in mind that this is a deal since I will have bought 3 sets of tires off them this year.

Most reviews said that the STT was a tad stiffer than MTRs and grabbed as well as TOYO MT and grabbed a heck of a lot better then BFG Mud and wore better over time. So for my use and the price, I decided to make the plunge. There isn’t a lot on the board about the tires so I figured I would start a post that reviews the tires as I get a chance to try them out on different terrains. I will update when the opportunity arises.

My rig is SOA in the rear and 4+ SUA in front for now. The tires are Cooper Discoverer STT 35X12.50R15s. The true measurements are 34.5 tall and the footprint is 10.5 wide. This is a bit off from the Cooper web page which states that with a 10” wheel, the tire should be 34.76 and the width should be 10. They are actually .25 shorter and .5 wider. The wheels are 15X10 Black steelies (will be bead locked when money allows).
DSCF2672.JPG
DSCF2673.JPG

Last edited:
i was thinking about getting those for my dd truck. can you tell me how loud they are on the freeway?

i was thinking about getting those for my dd truck. can you tell me how loud they are on the freeway?

They are very quite for a mud terrain. Quieter than a BFG and as loud as MTRs. Compared to my last set, they are a whisper.

Hi All:

I have a friend who has been running this exact same model and size tire on his VJ40 for the last couple of years. He has been pretty happy with them, but I think you got a better price than he did!

He has driven them in the mud up here in Washington State as well as on Slickrock at Moab.

Enjoy!

Alan

hey dan looks good yep those are the same ones i'm looking at....coolll

I bought a set of tires from the same dealer when I was stationed in lemoore (can't remember the name of the shop) Cooper discoverer all terrains for my four runner I used to have. Still looked good after 25,000 miles I think I paid less $350 for all four 31x10.50s in about 2000. Never were that great off road though.

I have the exact same tires. They are quiet, but I must agree they are not the best for off roading, particullary the sand. They don't get the best traction---maybe becasue its' the sand.

I have the exact same tires. They are quiet, but I must agree they are not the best for off roading, particullary the sand. They don't get the best traction---maybe becasue its' the sand.

I stay very very clear of sand. I do not like it at all unless it is nice and slow. I lived in Northern CA (Humboldt CO) and could drive on the beaches and I hated it. Gets into everything.

Tires are for the Central and Northern Sierras and occasional coastal mountains. Since MTRs and TOYO are a popular choice for that area, I figured I would give these a try.

Those remind me of the old Armstrong Norseman's, from back in the '70's. Seems like everyone had them, or Tru-Trac's. Looking at your spare, it reminds me of the tires I took off my Cruiser last year, same tread pattern. Man I really hated them, flat spotted BAD, and very noisey, but they came on the truck. How's those bad boys drive with the new p/steering? Looking good, Al

Slickrock,

What is the backspacing on your wheels? Having trouble finding the right fit. Sorry for the highjack.

3.25 but I am putting some 1.5 spacers on this week.

holy old thread revival

Sorry, I was following a link, and didn;t look at the date :idea: . Had been following his P/steering upgrade. Cool truck though. Al

How have your set of tires held up? I have a set of 33x12.5 with 17000 miles and they seem to be wearing really fast (below 50%)
brandon

How have your set of tires held up? I have a set of 33x12.5 with 17000 miles and they seem to be wearing really fast (below 50%)
brandon

I know the owner of the tire shop here in town. He has seen the tires make it 40-50,000 miles with rotation eery 5,000 miles. Make sure you run them at the recomended PSI on the sidewall and rotate them. Mine have worn evenly and I am just hitting the 3,000 mile mark. (don't drive it much ion the street)

Sorry, I was following a link, and didn;t look at the date :idea: . Had been following his P/steering upgrade. Cool truck though. Al
Thanks for the complement. I'll post a pic when I get the spacers in. If you wanted the width with my spacers, you would need to run a 1.75 back space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom