Nexus 7 Tablet + Tuffy Console + Backup Camera + CB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, this only took me about 10 times longer than I planned for, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. Consider this more of an "idea thread" rather than a how-to, but feel free to ask any questions. For your viewing pleasure:

• Rooted, custom ROM Nexus 7 tablet which supports OTG, simultaneous charging, deep sleep and USB digital-to-audio (DAC)
  • Black Tuffy 013 Console with Sony MEXn5000BT head unit and powered USB hub inside console
  • Refurbished console, with Blue Sea dual-USB charging port, finished in black bedliner to match the Tuffy console
  • Uniden 520XL CB mounted to side of Tuffy console
  • Backup camera screen mounted in place of the factory clock
20150304_154050.jpg
20150304_154111.jpg
20150304_154119.jpg
20150304_154157.jpg
20150304_154228.jpg

holy s***, this is awesome

As you can see, the Nexus 7 is a great double-DIN fit and requires no trimming to the exterior of the radio bezel, although dremeling is required on the hidden side. The Android tablet is a great alternative to a traditional head unit but this definitely isn't a great fit for everyone. The tablet can talk to the head unit via bluetooth or plug into any type of audio input via the USB DAC which has RCA and optical audio ouputs. I opted to include the Sony head unit in the Tuffy for AM radio, CD playback, bluetooth for phone, and to power my speakers (except the subwoofer in back). Here are a few more pictures...

20150304_154252.jpg
20150304_154326.jpg
20150304_154515.jpg
20150304_154643.jpg

Great job!!

boss....

was talking about this exact setup with a buddy of mine and we were going over the aspects of using a tablet with a DAC -
this then requires not only full amplification but also full xrossover units - as the DAC converts the tablet output to low level sound....
total cost - at least $500 - not even considering where one could mount a 4 channel amp and separate crossover / line driver.

was thinking about your exact setup as a modern HU - with USB inputs is way way cheaper - and incorporates everything you need (high signal out put, amplification fader control, etc....) again all for $150 - $200 - opposed to $500+

good thinking putting the HU in the center arm rest area.

again great job - for you cruiser audiophiles - bookmark this thread....

Umm, seriously? A backup cam instead of a clock, now that is awesome! Well done sir! More pics please.

Nice work. Is there a way to connect the backup cam to the tablet? If not, do you mind sharing your source for the back up camera and screen?

boss....
was talking about this exact setup with a buddy of mine and we were going over the aspects of using a tablet with a DAC -
this then requires not only full amplification but also full xrossover units - as the DAC converts the tablet output to low level sound....
total cost - at least $500 - not even considering where one could mount a 4 channel amp and separate crossover / line driver.
was thinking about your exact setup as a modern HU - with USB inputs is way way cheaper - and incorporates everything you need (high signal out put, amplification fader control, etc....) again all for $150 - $200 - opposed to $500+

Indeed, the "audiophile" way to go here is to run a setup like this:

Tablet -> USB hub -> USB DAC with Optical output (about $30) -> DSP with a remote control for volume, fader, etc (like an Audison Bit Ten D) -> Amp

The funny thing, I had actually intended to go that very route and even acquired an Audison Bit Ten D (which is ~ $500), but opted for the head unit route since I already wanted a Tuffy console. The Sony is actually a very nice unit that has some nice features, but most of all I like having the volume control right where my hand rests. Even though I'm not using my "fancy" equipment, the sound is actually very very good. I'm not an Audiophile by any means, but I've built a system or two...

Nice work. Is there a way to connect the backup cam to the tablet? If not, do you mind sharing your source for the back up camera and screen?

Not very easily. There are some hacks out there, but nothing that is up to par IMHO.

Well done! More info on that back-up camera monitor, please?

Sure, the screen is a 2.5" LCD unit that I picked up off Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sli...365-/330474185074?hash=item4cf1cbe172&vxp=mtr

Mounting it in place of the clock requires 1) Removing the clock which is held in by a couple of screws from the back; 2) Dremeling a little bit to make room for the screen; 3) Fastening the screen on from behind (I used some Gorilla glue on the edge of the monitor --- not the screen part).

The backup camera is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P914W7C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...which I mounted in my Kaymar rear bumper just above the hitch:

20150304_182650_resized.jpg

Awesome work!

Well done!

Awesome job love the backup camera:clap: one more thing to do:bang:

found my research on turing an ipad into your HU.

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/?category=Audio+Kits

as you can see tis quite pricey as a dac is required to covert the usb out to rcas. trouble then is the rca level is low thus you need a line driver / xrossover combo then also a 4 channel amp to power your speakers. me thinks you did the right route as your HU does it all.
was exactly what i was thinking but never thought of mounitng the HU in the center.

again bravo. looks great and as you i got not complaints using my iphone via my jvc headunit powering my speakers (upgraded pioneers).

excellent job, I've thought about a setup like this.

I actually have a full on car pc, however it is WAY overkill for a vehicle, a tablet is all that is needed.

Could you hook up a webcam to the tablet? Webcams are a bit of a pain in vehicles because they require a lot of light and are delayed depending on the length of your cable.

Sure, the screen is a 2.5" LCD unit that I picked up off Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sli...365-/330474185074?hash=item4cf1cbe172&vxp=mtr

Mounting it in place of the clock requires 1) Removing the clock which is held in by a couple of screws from the back; 2) Dremeling a little bit to make room for the screen; 3) Fastening the screen on from behind (I used some Gorilla glue on the edge of the monitor --- not the screen part).

The backup camera is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P914W7C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...which I mounted in my Kaymar rear bumper just above the hitch:

View attachment 1040446
Wow. Incredible idea. I'm nowhere near creative enough to think of this myself.....which is why I'm doing this exact setup. Thanks for sharing your research and model numbers. I'll be sure to give credit where credit is due when I put this up in my build thread. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom