New to me Pop-up trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have oficially caught the trailer bug...

So some of you have seen my Off road/Utility trailer thread(which I am still working on) But I had an interesting phone call last Wed. after we came home from the Relic Run 2010, It was a nice lady who had seen our group in the local paper and looked me up in the phone book to see if I would be interested in an old Pop-up trailer, I'm a sucker for a deal, So I went over to have a look, I chatted with my wife about it and also passed along the info to the other RR10 people, Obviously I don't need another trailer, But my wife thought it might be fun.
Here is what I came home with, A 1978 Rockwood RW1008.

79Rockwellcamper7.jpg

79Rockwellcamper4.jpg

79Rockwellcamper.jpg

79Rockwellcamper3.jpg

The bad...

79Rockwellcamper5.jpg

79Rockwellcamper1.jpg

79Rockwellcamper2.jpg

It has a few other small 1" or smaller holes, However for $100.00 we couldn't have asked for more, We could have gotten it for less, But the lady was a single mother of 3 and she threw out the $100.00 price.
I have put new bungee cords on the slide outs, Run new copper tubing for the stove and heater, My wife or nephew will be sewing up the holes.
I plan on doing an SOA on it so I can fit some 13-14" wheels on there, It towed great.
I did have a question about a plug on the frame, Its a square/rectangle socket with 6 pins, 2 above 4, I plan to use the flat 4 plug, So I guess I just need to see what wire goes where.

For $100 that's a borderline steal. With some TLC, that could be a very nice trailer that you could turn around and sell for 5x what you paid for it.

I have oficially caught the trailer bug...

really?!

lolol :lol:

Looks like a lot of positives there, especially if the floor is solid and the frame is intact. If it's wired for 6 wires does it have brakes? I wouldn't omit them if it does.

You'll be camping in no time!

:popcorn:

good luck, Pat

Brian, you know what must be done...:D

I expect to see it completed and looking like the big brother of my camper by next spring at CM.

Now get to work!:steer:

We will have to see, I wasn't planning on this being the full on off road camper.
My main concern is just getting larger/updated wheels and tires.
But, I will run it up the pole to see.

really?!

lolol :lol:

Looks like a lot of positives there, especially if the floor is solid and the frame is intact. If it's wired for 6 wires does it have brakes? I wouldn't omit them if it does.

You'll be camping in no time!

:popcorn:

good luck, Pat

No brakes at the moment, But it has the bracket on the axle.
I stand corrected, The plug is a 4 over 2

0723002056.jpg

The flat 4 plug is the addition from PO along with my pigtail to reach the tow vehicle

Yay me!
Wiring is complete, Till I decide I want a battery for the trailer, It has a couple of breakers built in, One for a battery and one for 120V.
What a pain in the A$$ it it to track down a grounding issue, Let alone how the PO had it wired to their vehicle, But, Now I get to register it, Then I can see about SOA and better tires and cleaning the heater, My wife has decided she wants to do the sewing, I said hells yeah! Saves me some money.
I may even get to use it this Summer or Fall if all goes well.

Thats a steal at 100 bucks. I must say though, I've never seen a trailer plug like that though. Could the other 2 pins have been used to charge a battery while towing?

FWIW, one of the best things I did on my project was to rip every inch of pre-existing wiring out and start from scratch. It's unbelievable that my camer in it's previous 30 years never burnt to the ground...:rolleyes:

two weeks till the Relic Run, I needed to get a few things squared away!

5854960513_cbf204a27e_z.jpg

5855515210_9b8e2b79d2_z.jpg

First off I wanted to get rid of the puny 20" tires on this thing, So I figured I better do an S.O.A. on this muthuh!

5854961073_284d51fed0_z.jpg

All I needed to do was buy a $25 kit and bolt it on, I think I will go through and weld on the spring perches once I have it square.

5854962287_70d9297dac_z.jpg

5855514132_7cbe5baa85_z.jpg

Now I have 4.5" in front of the tire and just over 5" behind the tire, So I could very easily 26-27" tires, Not to mention improved road manners.
I hope to have the tires tomorrow along with some bearing buddies.

It's pretty easy and cheap to swap hubs to a 5 lug style which opens a lot of options for wheels. You might also consider adding some shocks, I find my SOA pop-up a little bouncy on washboard without them.

It's pretty easy and cheap to swap hubs to a 5 lug style which opens a lot of options for wheels. You might also consider adding some shocks, I find my SOA pop-up a little bouncy on washboard without them.

Yes, I was considering swapping to 5 lug, That way I know I can get a 26" tire, Its just adding at least $100.00+ to the project, Not a huge amount..
I hadn't thought about shocks yet, I usually air down the tires a little bit, I generally don't haul ass on the dirt with a trailer.
Thanks for the suggestions :cheers:

450dude had the same trailer as mine he did shocks and it made a world of difference. I'm just trying to find the time to do mine.

Good to hear, I will see how our next trip goes and see if I can figure something out.

Here is the SOA finished project.

5858400635_5716ab7254_z.jpg

5858400283_5f29efb07e_z.jpg

26" tires on 14" rims, I had to go with the 5 lug hub's but that wasn't a huge ordeal.

For those of you that may not know, My FJ40 is also sprung over with 35" tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom