New 70 series in US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw a car hauler in Chesapeake ,Va full of new 70 series various models. Still had shrink wrap on them. Wth I thought they were illeagal here unless 25 yrs old. What gives if there in NA we should be able to obtain one

Military personnel/ training exercises? U.N vehicles under an Temp. Import permit?, to be armored by a U.S company and shipped overseas?... I would have follow that truck hehe.

Cheers mate

New 7x variants come in quite often to get up armored.

Teaser!:moon:

If you want one really bad, start a car dealership in a state that has dealer plates. Know a guy running a fleet of defenders (around 5 of them), all on dealer plates. From the UK and just shipped them over and slapped dealer plates on them, color me jealous.

Get a nice, low mileage unit from someone like Land Cruisers Direct. Then find someone who can get you a low mileage 1VD-FTE drivetrain and ship it to you. Put that in the 25yo truck and then you'll have your rig. Though, I totally understand wanting to buy a new one with a factory warranty...

It's not that easy. They have to get thru customs, DOT and all the other hoops, before they get to a lot.

Defenders are iffy...and are much more likely to be not 100% kosher.....ie...they are easy to make look 25 years and older, while being younger.

If you want one really bad, start a car dealership in a state that has dealer plates. Know a guy running a fleet of defenders (around 5 of them), all on dealer plates. From the UK and just shipped them over and slapped dealer plates on them, color me jealous.

It's not that easy. They have to get thru customs, DOT and all the other hoops, before they get to a lot.

Defenders are iffy...and are much more likely to be not 100% kosher.....ie...they are easy to make look 25 years and older, while being younger.

They're never registered. Slap dealer plate on and go as far as I know. Several new-er, none were seized like a bunch of his customer's rigs.

So how do they get into the USA? You can't just send a new non US rig over to the US, it must go thru customs(and other agencys)....and regardless if a set of dealer plate....they will not let them in. Check out the new 70's Larry Miller Toyota bought in to the US a few years back, they had special permits for an exposition, after that....they can't touch the road.

I know there are tricks, some have used.

But dealer plates don't get you around import laws. Sure with dealer plates the rig has not transfered to a person but they are registered in the dealers name.

They're never registered. Slap dealer plate on and go as far as I know. Several new-er, none were seized like a bunch of his customer's rigs.

Easier than convincing corporate Toyota to re-engineer the 70 series trucks so that they can pass DOT, NHTSA and EPA regulations (and likely many others I am either forgetting or not aware of) just so that they can sell 2000 units a year (likely less)...

Saw a post with photo the other day on TLCA Facebook page. There were two car carriers heading north out of South Carolina. There was also on driving on the road with them. Speculation was they were heading up North for military use (training or up armor.) I think they were mostly tan quad cab 79s.

Saw a post with photo the other day on TLCA Facebook page. There were two car carriers heading north out of South Carolina. There was also on driving on the road with them. Speculation was they were heading up North for military use (training or up armor.) I think they were mostly tan quad cab 79s.
It's safe for the government to drive them but for God's sake let's keep those stupid civilians, who actually paid the them, out of 'em.

It's safe for the government to drive them but for God's sake let's keep those stupid civilians, who actually paid the them, out of 'em.

Thank you American Bar Association

Was in a buddies HZJ76 today, great truck. Not quite as comfy as my FZJ80, but gets 2x the milage. Someday in the US....someday....

Not even CLOSE to legal, and a ticking time bomb. I suspect you don't know the entire story.

Like was said before, it doesn't matter who is importing them, private party or dealer, they have to go through customs.

Agreed. Strongly doubt those Defenders are truly legal.

I have spent 14 years staying on top of all the laws governing importing non-safety compliant vehicles to US and there very specific and limited (and costly) options to do it legally. I also import one truck a year from central america. Many non compliant <25 yearar old vehicles slip thru CBP into US, and are registered in US, but that doesn't make them legal. There are ROW >25 year old 70 series that can be imported to US, you just have really want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom