Importing my 1982 FJ40 from Surabaya Indonesia port to the LA California Port...... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not really sure where to post this, but I need some direction on getting my 1982 FJ40 from the Surabaya Indonesia port to the LA port in California. Wondering what is the easiest way to get this done? Ive owned this FJ for over 5 years and have all the legal documents, also the FJ is registered in my name in Indonesia. I'm American but have a valid Indonesian DL and Goverment ID.

Upon arrival in LA, I need to be able to drive this FJ from the LA port to my home in Dallas using Indonesian plates, DL etc... My passport is USA and DL is Texas.

The cruisers here do not have a 16 digit VIN like in America, but the original body plate is in place (on firewall near carb), frame serial number is very clear (right hand side near winch) and the engine serial number is also clear (near oil dipstick). I have registration papers going back 17 years, all numbers are the same. My local registration and title-work have all these numbers listed. The government here is very strict, and verify these numbers upon renewal every year.

I plan to re-title the FJ in Texas where it will reside for good. How to re-title without the 16 digit serial number??

Any information would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20220720-181424_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Not really sure where to post this, but I need some direction on getting my 1982 FJ40 from the Surabaya Indonesia port to the LA port in California. Wondering what is the easiest way to get this done? Ive owned this FJ for over 5 years and have all the legal documents, also the FJ is registered in my name in Indonesia. I'm American but have a valid Indonesian DL and Goverment ID.

Upon arrival in LA, I need to be able to drive this FJ from the LA port to my home in Dallas using Indonesian plates, DL etc... My passport is USA and DL is Texas.

The cruisers here do not have a 16 digit VIN like in America, but the original body plate is in place (on firewall near carb), frame serial number is very clear (right hand side near winch) and the engine serial number is also clear (near oil dipstick). I have registration papers going back 17 years, all numbers are the same. My local registration and title-work have all these numbers listed. The government here is very strict, and verify these numbers upon renewal every year.

I plan to re-title the FJ in Texas where it will reside for good. How to re-title without the 16 digit serial number??

I guess I not allowed to say a importer sorry to the mods

Can't help you getting it to LA but I can perhaps speak to the 16 digit VIN (although I think you mean 17 digit). I recently imported a 1983 FJ45 Troopy and a 1994 FZJ75 pickup and both had less than 17 digit VINs (10 and 12 respectively). That was not an issue clearing customs or registering them in Alabama. I doubt Texas registration will be an issue although it's obviously not a daily routine registration so there could be a delay here or there.

I also don't think you should have any issue driving it across the country to Texas from LA as long as you have the import papers.

T
Can't help you getting it to LA but I can perhaps speak to the 16 digit VIN (although I think you mean 17 digit). I recently imported a 1983 FJ45 Troopy and a 1994 FZJ75 pickup and both had less than 17 digit VINs (10 and 12 respectively). That was not an issue clearing customs or registering them in Alabama. I doubt Texas registration will be an issue although it's obviously not a daily routine registration so there could be a delay here or there.

I also don't think you should have any issue driving it across the country to Texas from LA as long as you have the import papers.
Thank you Sir! Its a nice rig with great AC and body so I'd like to get it back home with me.
Screenshot_20220720-181424_Photos.jpg

A little over a year ago, containers were prohibitively expensive from the middle east to the US. I think at the time containers were just expensive - period. Given the price difference, I went RORO and didn't have any issues. I recommend you price both ways and then make a decision.

A little over a year ago, containers were prohibitively expensive from the middle east to the US. I think at the time containers were just expensive - period. Given the price difference, I went RORO and didn't have any issues. I recommend you price both ways and then make a decision.
Thank you. Can you send me the freight company name or website? I see many RoRo on google. Thank you

Thank you. Can you send me the freight company name or website? I see many RoRo on google. Thank you
I used a Saudi company. I don't think they will be of much help to you from Indonesia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom