Mystery Bolt wrapped in tape (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max.Powerzz

Cruisers and Art!
Threads
I found this bolt sitting loose on the starter near the engine block. The threads were wrapped in black electrical tape, zip-tied at the top, and it has oil on it. I poked around but didn't see where it could have come from, could this have been pushed into something to plug a hole? It was right next to the engine so I'm paranoid it was keeping oil in somewhere. No major drips (at least new ones) but I'm nervous to start it. My starter went out so I was tapping it with a hammer when I found this. The black thing at the top of the photo is the unwrapped tape.

fj40 bolt.jpg

fj40.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely something I wouldnt do... Not sure what thats too... Is there extensive oil anywhere...? It may have been sitting on the starter for years?

Just some oil, not a lot (yet). I knew you wouldn't plug a hole like that, I imagine it's something from a PO? Hopefully it's been there for a while, but the cruiser's been on some bumpy and off-camber adventures.

what's the bolt head look like?

what motor do you have in there?

That's great Max!

Thanks for the props too!

You'll enjoy your new GRS, be sure to document your install.
after reading your write up, I installed a GRS. I got to say, best $90ish I've spent in a long time, man what I difference I highly recommend this starter, money well spent.

after reading your write up, I installed a GRS. I got to say, best $90ish I've spent in a long time, man what I difference I highly recommend this starter, money well spent.
Thanks Bud! I appreciate the accolades!

I found this bolt sitting loose on the starter near the engine block. The threads were wrapped in black electrical tape, zip-tied at the top, and it has oil on it. I poked around but didn't see where it could have come from, could this have been pushed into something to plug a hole? It was right next to the engine so I'm paranoid it was keeping oil in somewhere. No major drips (at least new ones) but I'm nervous to start it. My starter went out so I was tapping it with a hammer when I found this. The black thing at the top of the photo is the unwrapped tape.

View attachment 1292562

View attachment 1292563

oil galley plug?

if that was it and you haven't run it since it came out , you'll know once you do... will be a gusher.

oil galley plug?

if that was it and you haven't run it since it came out , you'll know once you do... will be a gusher.

Oil galley plug is my worst nightmare. It's a 2F in a 1968, I think the motor came out of a 1976 (This was Kurt's first cruiser back in the day, but that was 15 years ago).

That's way too big for an oil galley plug

I know EXACTLY what it is!

It is a coarse-thread bellhousing bolt that was repurposed at some point as a temporary starter bolt. When they first tried to use it, they discovered it pinched the flywheel when fully seated because it was too long. And they couldnt stack washers behind the head of the bolt because the washers were all too fat to tuck in between the hole in the ear of the starter and the body of the starter. So they ended up with what you see.

Cheap detective novel, written by my oriental cousin...

LO TEC!

Last edited:
Nice work Lo San! You've been there before I assume?

Nice work Lo San! You've been there before I assume?

The life of a land cruiser mechanic is a cross between being a reader of cheap detective novels [mostly written by the highly imaginative author W.T.F.] and being a janitor cleaning up other people's messes [ @FJ40Jim 's sig line ]

Last edited:
Low-tec Plug for the PCV port above the starter. When the 2F was installed in the non smog vehicle all the rubber hoses were ripped off because desmog. Hopefully the PCV has been reconnected, along with CB and vac advance.

Start the engine. Most likely nothing bad will happen but if something does your problem will be clearly defined.

Low-tec Plug for the PCV port above the starter. When the 2F was installed in the non smog vehicle all the rubber hoses were ripped off because desmog. Hopefully the PCV has been reconnected, along with CB and vac advance.

Ahh! This theory could be confirmed by checking the underside of the hood for a dent from when the accumulated blowby of the now-bloated crankcase shot the lo-tec plug out of the PCV grommet.

Your new mission...Max Powerzz...should you choose to accept it...is to check the underside of your hood for said theoretical dent!

Start the engine. Most likely nothing bad will happen but if something does your problem will be clearly defined.
X2

I'd either have someone start it while you watch or... Hotwire under the hood (and sorry, but I'll not write instructions on the web explaining how to steal it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom