my new roof rack pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can email them to me if you want them hosted. Are they all named the same? If not, what error message are you getting?

Was wit all da lites up dare? ???

Mike -

couple of questions:

- I assume it's sitting about as low as it can, true?

- can you measure the height from the gutter rail to the top of the rack for me?

- how high is the rack "tray" itself. 4 inches?

- where did you get the gutter clamps?

Looks good, I'm in need of something similar just not as long.

Riley

Looks really nice from what little I can see of it. Can you post more pics and list some sizes and materials you used? I'm wanting to make my own rack and looking for ideas. I need a good source of roof gutter clamps also??

Bryan
94 fairly stock

more pics

rack-front2.jpg

rack-sided.jpg

top-rack.jpg

Nice, I like it!

-Matt

youll have to wait till i get home on tue before i can post all the specs
as for the hight i had a short confer roof rack on it before. the confer was originaly on my fj40 but i took it off when i sold it and put it on my second one. well then i put it on the LX and it stuck out on the side a little bit and i didnt care for the hight witch killed the high way miles also. the roof rack clamps are the universal ones made or aluminum. i bought them from spector off road and they were expensive as hell. i looked all over for a diff source and im sure there is but i couldnt find one. There 4 inch clamps. the whole rack is brop no more then 8 inches off the rain gutter. I had to remove the facotry rack and the metal bars that are in the floor of the rack (you can see it in the last pic) as for the steel i dont remember off the top of my head as i finished the rack during christmas but the cross pars are 1 inch by 3 inch and really heavy stuff. also all the tubing onthe lower bars are of a heavyer guage then the top ones.

if theres any more questions feel free to ask.

mike

i might if the price is right :D :D although id have to say i sure wouldnt wanna pay for shipping. my rack is deff one of the most over built ones out there. I was thinking about powder coating it but then i just wanted to finish it. I think i might just look into it anyways for future reference.

thanks mike

How's the wind noise over/under the expanded metal on the hwy? The lights acta as a psudo wind breaker I s'pose. Nice job.

i dont know about the lights being a wind barrier because i wasnt able to do a whole lot of drinving before i put the lights on. Over all the racks very quite considering. I had a confer rack on before that was only a half rack and it had metal bars for the floor. I think the thing that helps this rack the most is the fact that its so close to the roof. I cant even get my pinky finger inbetween the roof and the rack at some points. yet i made it of strong enough steel that it doesnt flex any or cause any rubbing. the only down side to this rack that i can see it that its really heavy. other then that im very please for a first time building a rack.

mike

just a thought rather than powder coating,
its cheap and easy and looks pretty good for about two years is undercoat spray. you can get it at auto parts stores and it works well just starts to fade after a while. its tougher than regular paint with some texture and abrasion resistance.
Dave

Mike, The rack looks nice. :D

What did you do with the holes that were left when you took the stock roof rack and bars off?

Nice Looking Rack!

Do you have a sunroof? If so does it clear in both positions?
Jim

i do have a sun roof and yes it does clear the racks were just the right size were talking not even an inch clearence. as for the holes in the roof i had to take all the factory roof stuff off for my rack to fit and i didnt wanna do any welding to the cruiser incase i have to ever sell it. SO i went and got small screws the same thread and used black silicone and just screwed in the siliconed screws. that was the only think i could think fo doing to fill in the whole with out going the long route. thats and u cant see any of them any ways with the rack on there.

Mike, How about building this rack for a living so you don't have to go to school? :D Nice rack dude.

thanks every one. i think i might try building my own rear bumper. i was thinking maybe of building a tube one that covers every corner and angle of the body then covering it with a thinck sheet steel that way it would have rounded edges and not leave any holes. Ill let you guys know what i come up with i have to gather the tools I.E. pipe bender and find some time and steel.
hmmm maybe not a soon as i was hoping.

thanks agian
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom