My ARB Bumper "DRL" Modification (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARBDRL11.jpg

ARB DRL MOD
Johnny Lange

I made a little altercation to the ARB bumper of the weekend. I had thought about this and some other lighting ideas for a few months. This could easily be made for a smaller strip of LED off road light as well.

DRL = Daytime running lights. All the new cool cars (Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc) have em now so I thought what the heck. Of course, in doing some research on the actual DRL’s, I found a ton out there but the Phillips brand (Model: DRL8, $150-$170) appeared to be the units I wanted as they gave the most light and offer a dim display feature that can be hooked up to your parking lights for nighttime use. The package touts all the safety features of running DRLs; less accidents, enhanced visibility (to other drivers), etc. That’s all great and dandy, but I just think they look cool and let’s face it, LED lighting is the wave. I guess if someone sees me coming down the road and it prevents an accident, then wonderful.

After having these lights in for two days now, these units are really bright, it's amazing. A friend commented I could "almost" use them as headlights at night. Overall, I am impressed with the quality and brightness of them and would recommend them. *In some of the pics below (certain angles), they do not look as bright, but they are. The shot with the headlights on depicts their brightness and is most accurate.

I am not sure if anyone else with the ARB bumper on their 80 used the turn signals in the bumper, I never did. They were duds. I found the larger OEM turn signal under the headlight worked fine. Since I didn’t use the ARB signals, I used this area for the DRL’s. I removed the ARB turn signals and taped up my cut line. Some moments later, my opening was a few inches longer (towards the center). After test fitting the new homemade DRL housing, I smoothed things up and made things pretty and painted the cuts the on the bumper for rust protection.

I essentially I made a bracket out of some strip metal and welded it all together. I then made and welded a light mounting tab to the back of it. After smoothing it up a bit, I painted it in a Semi-Gloss black to match the ARB’s powdercoat finish. By the way, "Rustoleum Professional series" does this well – Home Depot, $4 a can.

The hardware is all stainless steel (allen head) via Home Depot. I used two larger bolts on the ends, and four smaller bolts on the top and bottom. The four upper and lower are not really needed, but I felt they added a little “look” to the bracket and they are now Zombie proof.

The wiring schematic on the lights suggests hooking up the lights to your battery (switched power supply that is), but I ended up adding a switch to turn them off if I ever needed to. Otherwise they are on when the car is on.

Now I am happy and my 80-Series kinda looks like a spaceship coming down the road. I think it's updated things a bit.

Give me your thoughts. I have some ideas for version II as well. :)

:beer:

*The LED DRL lights below show a certain greenish hue to them, this is actually NOT the case and is just caused by the photography. They are a true white-bright light tone like my HID lights (4300K) for the record.

ARBDRL01.jpg

ARBDRL02.jpg

ARBDRL03.jpg

ARBDRL04.jpg

ARBDRL10.jpg

ARBDRL12.jpg

ARBDRL13.jpg

ARBDRL14.jpg

ARBDRL15.jpg

ARBDRL11.jpg

Great mod. I like the look.
Have though about DRL myself.

Awesome! The 80 looks great!

And fantastic photography skills!

I take it the tape is because you needed to open up the hole?

And are you making enough brackets for the class?????

I'm gathering all my ARB mods now since I just got my bumper and I was having trouble trying to figure out what to do with that space. I agree, since I had the new clears along with the turn signal mod I didn't really need another turn signal up front.

BTW, what other mods did you do to your bumper? I see a bunch of bolts on the wings that weren't originally there ;)

Thanks gents.

Yes sir, tape line is what I had to cut out for the whole shebang to fit. I could possibly be convinced to make some additionals to "share with the class". :) We'll see.

Thanks gents.

Yes sir, tape line is what I had to cut out for the whole shebang to fit. I could possibly be convinced to make some additionals to "share with the class". :) We'll see.

Count me in for a set. If you know the hole size let me know. I'm about to make all my modifications to mine before it goes for powder coating.

I had made some pretty stout (3/8") armor plates that go on the INSIDE of the corners of the bumpers some years ago. Looks like the original pic of the plate is gone, but here is the thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/100843-input-arb-side-armor-plates.html

Yeah would be cool to see the inside plates. Your thread didn't come up on my search. A lot of the older threads aren't coming up anymore. Its odd. I'm looking at just boxing it the wings. Should suffice.

Nice work. Agreed that the redundant turn signals are a joke. Seems like ARB has some bumpers for other vehicles that actually have a fog light option.

Your truck looks so bad ass!!!!!

That looks sick, Johnny!

If you haven't gotten rid of the ARB orange lenses, I would like to buy them from you, that is assuming that they're the same size as the 60 series' ARB openings.

We still need to hook up one of these days...

Hope all is well!!

Count me in for a set.

X2 ..

That looks amazing .. I already have LED bulb there and clear lenses .. but this it's tha sh*** .. looks awesome .!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom