Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It certainly was a trip to remember that's for sure. BTW I'm very pleased with my purchase thus far Mark.

Since my last day of vacation was today I thought I had better get started. So around noon I pulled the truck into the garage and got started.

12HT swap 1.jpg

I go back to work tomorrow so the install will be a little slower. There are a few items that need to be transferred from the 2H to 12HT. I also need to locate a 12v TVS and build the exhaust system. I hope to have the 12HT sitting in place by the end of the long weekend.

I ordered the VSV that I need to complete the 12v change over. Given the difficulty I had finding the proper part number I thought I would post the numbers here. The part number for a 12v VSV is 90910-12010 and the part number for the 24v unit is 90910-12013. I hope this helps a fellow Cruiser head in the future.

BTW if anyone needs a 24v VSV I have a good used one available.

Mate you're gonna love that engine. My daily is a 13B-T BJ74, but for a few days in 2012 I drove a friends HJ61 w/12H-T and 3" system. Not only did it rev like a 2F, but it sounded like a Peterbilt from the grunty devilish growl down low, right up to the high-pitched banshee whistle up top. Damn did that thing scare people! And far out did it move! Not sure what your laws are over there about exhaust noise, but diesels are pretty quiet without a muffler til you up 'em and by that time the cops are too small in your rearview haha.

Mate you're gonna love that engine. My daily is a 13B-T BJ74, but for a few days in 2012 I drove a friends HJ61 w/12H-T and 3" system. Not only did it rev like a 2F, but it sounded like a Peterbilt from the grunty devilish growl down low, right up to the high-pitched banshee whistle up top. Damn did that thing scare people! And far out did it move! Not sure what your laws are over there about exhaust noise, but diesels are pretty quiet without a muffler til you up 'em and by that time the cops are too small in your rearview haha.

I believe you are correct Cult about loving this engine. I will be running a straight exhaust with no muffler. Roma did that with the 12HT he installed in his 60 and it sounded terrific.

I managed to get a little work done today. It has finally turned cold here so I waited until 1:00 to start installing the engine. But with proper attire it wasn't too bad at all. The temp was about 41F but no breeze to worry about. I actually broke a sweat. All in all the install went smoothly. Predictably slow since I was working by my self but it is sitting in placed bolted down. Tomorrow I'll swap alternators (24v to 12v) install the radiator and start connecting up the wiring and the throttle.

12HT install 1.jpg

I just realized that on 1/1/2015 I spent the day retrieving parts for the 45 from Tennessee. Now I spent most of this New Years day installing my new engine. I think I'm starting to see a trend here.

I just realized that on 1/1/2015 I spent the day retrieving parts for the 45 from Tennessee. Now I spent most of this New Years day installing my new engine. I think I'm starting to see a trend here.
Considering most sleep the day away that's not a bad trend. When I was in central Alabama the local club would have a ride on New Years. I had to work but cool project you have going. Thanks for the updates its one of the threads I enjoy following and catching up on. Good luck with the swap

Sent from my iPad

Thanks! Our next club meeting is Saturday the 9th. If your up near Huntsville you should drop by.

That looks right at home in there! You're going to love the sound of a straight pipe on this engine!
Keep it up and you'll be driving it pretty soon

Thanks Mark. It went in pretty easy. I did have to swap the left motor mount. The one that came with it was 1/2" longer than the one on the 2H. Not sure why they were different. But other than that it was just a slow wrestling match until the transmission shaft and the clutch were properly aligned.

Wait you said it 41F and cold???? hahahah I was laying on the garage floor in -18C working on my truck lol.

Love where this build is goin man!

I figured I would get a comment or two from our friends in really cold climates. It does get colder here as well and I have lived in Alaska before. So I know what real cold is. But the day after Christmas it was 76F here. So I'm a little spoiled on temperature this year. I hope at -18C you had a heater going in the garage. I have a portable heater for my garage. But it has to be colder for me to break it out plus using the hoist in my tiny garage ment I had to keep the door open.

Thanks for the reality check Varty!

nope no heater that day! i installed a new carb in -28c last winter my fingers were numb lol. Not ideal working conditions thats for sure

Straight through is where it's at!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom