My 1974 FJ40 Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1974 FJ40 "semi-restore" Thread

I picked up this 40 from a fellow mud member and have been getting it back to streetable condition. It's a 1974 FJ40 with a SBC400 mated to the stock tranny/TC. Overall in good condition... a little minor surface rust on the rear panels, some surface rust on the chassis, and one spot of rust through underneath near the driver's seat. Nothing that can't be fixed or alleviated! So far I have:
- new plugs, wires, distributor, oil change
- new valve cover gaskets
- new thermostat and gasket
- flushed radiator
- new master cylinder for drum brakes plus one wheel cylinder
- in process: mini truck power steering conversion (almost done)

Next up- fix a couple of minor electrical issues, then start treating the rust. Will probably not do a frame off, but will treat underneath with rust bullet, treat the surface rust on the body, and patch the one rot spot. Otherwise, I'm ready to drive it!

198082_1930185297439_1326437975_32233351_7766942_n.jpg

196458_1930192137610_1326437975_32233362_4237689_n.jpg

198198_1930167656998_1326437975_32233335_2662820_n.jpg

199353_1930175137185_1326437975_32233345_1559153_n.jpg

188543_1930171937105_1326437975_32233339_4946502_n.jpg

Last edited:
Love the color schemes:beer:

cruiser

nice cruiser. What part of NC do you live in. I lived in Kernersville for about 10 years. I was just up there visiting friends several weeks ago.
Red is one of my favorite cruiser colors.
Congrats on the purchase.
Gary

nice cruiser. What part of NC do you live in. I lived in Kernersville for about 10 years. I was just up there visiting friends several weeks ago.
Red is one of my favorite cruiser colors.
Congrats on the purchase.
Gary

Thanks Gary. I live in Hillsborough, just outside of Chapel Hill and work in Burlington. Pretty much right in the middle of the state!

Nice clean truck ! I like the 70 series turn signals !:clap:

Looks real nice. Looks cool with the dual exhaust. Keep us posted on the P/S upgrade. Been thinking about it for my '74

I had one of those mighty hardtops in my garage at one time and it looks just like yours except it didnt have the cool 70 series turn signals.......hmmmmm where did u buy this cruiser ?

welcome to mud steve:flipoff2:

DSC02416.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those mighty hardtops in my garage at one time and it looks just like yours yours except it didnt have the cool 70 series turn signals.......hmmmmm where did u buy this cruiser ?

DSC02416.jpg
Where did you get those horns?

33's, no sweat. I made two trips to tellico with 35's before I did the power steering conversion. Could barely lift my arms for day's after we came home. I guess thats why the early cruisers had that huge steering wheel. I needed all the leverage I could get!

Drove my truck home on Friday with power steering... what a difference! Folks on here are definitely not lying when they say it is the best mod you can do. I do have a little wander in it. Some may be from the tires, which are cupped. Getting new shoes today to alleviate that variable. Any ideas on how to tighten up the steering just a bit? You can turn the wheel a few inches before it starts affecting the steering. Rag joint maybe?

I had one of those mighty hardtops in my garage at one time and it looks just like yours except it didnt have the cool 70 series turn signals.......hmmmmm where did u buy this cruiser ?

My wife blames YOU for the addiction! Just kidding.... I'm really enjoying it so far. Dropping some money in it, but not quite like yours! You need a build thread Allan. That is one sharp 40 sitting in your garage.

I do have a little wander in it. Some may be from the tires, which are cupped. Getting new shoes today to alleviate that variable. Any ideas on how to tighten up the steering just a bit? You can turn the wheel a few inches before it starts affecting the steering. Rag joint maybe?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/311579-fj40-steering-how-remove-slop.html[/QUOTE]

Was it ever determined if it was the shims to fix the caster or the center arm rebuild that would fix it? What did you do to yours?
Thanks Allan.

Center arm rebuild should help the slop in the steering i would recommend to just do everything down the line TRE's etc etc.
but as folks say with the design of the steering on the 40 it will always have some kind of slop,thats why most people go with the saginaw steering box set up plus its power to turn the larger wheels
all depends on what your doing with your rig.....

Castor blocks should help alot on the wandering or either a cut and turn.....some say 2-3 degrees some say even higher....
stock is set 1 degree but you have the 4 inch lift on there.... so
get underneath that rig and measure away so u know what degree castor blocks to purchase.....do not get the aluminum ones...

I have not done any of the above yet,when i convert to disc brake and shackle reversal im gonna do it all at once...got all the parts just lazy...

Just an update: found the source for most of the steering slop. Number one, the tires that were on the 40 were cupped, so that contributed. Number two was a tie rod end on the passenger side that the nut had come loose and the clip was missing, causing lots of play in the tie rods. Tightened the but back up, put a paper clip in temporarily until I find a good clip and the steering slop all but disappeared. There is a tiny bit of play, but not enough to worry about driving it anymore.

I had BFG all terrains mounted yesterday. That really made a difference in the ride. There will be as many street miles as off road miles, so I compromised and went all terrain. The ride is much softer now and more controlled. I'll post pics later one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom