Modified Running Board? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some searching and didn't come up with much. The way I understand it, there is aluminum under the plastic on our 100 series LC's, but I know the brackets are steel. Has anyone tried to modify them into sliders? I'm about to get 865's and crank the Tbars and will need some type of step for the wife. I don't need sliders, but if I could use the factory brackets and get rid of the weak AL, I was thinking I might have a step/slider of sorts? Only other option is cheap tube steps, but I don't care for the looks a whole lot. I have seen single steps make from Aluminum that would work, but they also would hang down 10" or so, which is no bueno for any offroading.
Any thoughts? Has anyone cut up their running boards before to make some type of sliders?

The brackets are junk, either keep the factory steps or bite the bullet on a nice set of step sliders.

My wife is glad I did.

The aluminum isn't really the problem. How it mounts is. The running boards bolt to the body of the truck. Sliders bolt or weld onto the frame of the truck.

The 6 relatively small bolts holding the stock running boards onto the body of the truck are no where near strong enough to hold the weight of the truck like sliders are meant to.

You could leave the running boards on.

Order some Slee Step sliders.

Order whiteknuckle sliders with a step welded on.

Or run no sliders or runningboards but use those electric pop down steps like these: http://www.offroadadventures.com/articles/view/id/573

I'm sure you've seen these, but for just over $500, it's not a bad deal. It's still over $500 though.
Keep an eye out for Metal Tech's monthly deals, if these things went on sale you could get them for cheap. They are very similar in design to MT's 100 series slider. I have the regular MT version and I use them as a step every day.
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-485-opor-100-series-land-cruiser-sliders.aspx

That being said, I like the look of the Slee steps best of all. They look like a running board.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. That answers my quesitons! I would like those electric steps, but I would get sliders for the same cost or less. I'll do my lift first and see how much the wife complains before I drop too much on sliders. Thanks!

The aluminum isn't really the problem. How it mounts is. The running boards bolt to the body of the truck. Sliders bolt or weld onto the frame of the truck.

End thread. This is the key reason why the factory running boards will never be useful offload. Man up and buy some Slee Slider Steps and the :princess: will still be happy.

My wife LOVES her aluminum sliders! :clap::clap::clap:

Seriously, as soon as I build a set of sliders for my 100, my wife's 100 is going to get a pair also.

The pic's are just to give an example of how well the running boards do NOT hold up to serious off roading.

One thing to note though, they DID keep from buckling the rocker panels. Just don't know how many more times they can take it. By the way... I do have my running boards in the garage in perfect condition. Anyone interested???:D
20120706_081529.jpg
20120706_081613.jpg

This is gonna kill ya... I sold my OEM running boards for $500. I know. Crazy. A local body shop was repairing an '05 100 and new ones were $900+. I have MT sliders now. Love'em

But before ^that^ I looked into modifying the OEM sliders. Even "hiding" real sliders under won't work - the running boards are too low, and the Home Depot shelf brackets Toyota used to mount the boards are in the way. It's all or nothin. ;)

This is gonna kill ya... I sold my OEM running boards for $500. I know. Crazy. A local body shop was repairing an '05 100 and new ones were $900+.

:eek:

Time to start calling local body shops to see if I can offload some of my OEM bits. Sheesh.

I get a set I would let go for $450.....oh and I have a front bumper with fog lights!

ya know... there's something to this. A network of perfectly good used parts - the owners of which will part with them for very reasonable prices. I'd sell my OEM bumpers in a second... as would 75% of guys on this forum. Hmmm... ;)

ya know... there's something to this. A network of perfectly good used parts - the owners of which will part with them for very reasonable prices. I'd sell my OEM bumpers in a second... as would 75% of guys on this forum. Hmmm... ;)

Running boards, front/rear bumpers, fog lights, 3rd row jump seats, various interior trim bits, mats, bulbs, springs/TBs/shocks, OE battery tray etc. etc. All stored and I would let it all go for pennies on the dollar over what Toyota charges for replacements. I never plan to sell the truck and if I have to I'll buy another 100 and move stuff over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom