LX450_Diff Lock is not "ON" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried to make it clear in my other posts. You've really got to do this on a low-traction surface. You need a wheel to slip.

x2 - you could do more damage than good trying to get your CD to lock on a high traction surface (i.e. pavement). There is a reason the CD is not locked all of the time!

Hi, corsair, atticus and all other friends, I'm happy to say, ohhhh, the CDL in ON with the ABS! Also, RR/FR are also engaged! They are now working perfectly! I will send some pictures later to show you guys how beautiful those lights are! I hope this thread can be an example for newbies to overcome this common puzzle. I guess my CDL has not been used for a very very long time. Millions of thanks to all of you!

Key: try tight 8s on an unpaved ground!

Last edited:
Very common and congrats for getting this working.

-B-

x2

Glad we could help!! Now just plan to exercise all of the lockers regularly to keep 'em happy. I try to "exercise" mine on a monthly basis

Hi, corsair, atticus and all other friends, I'm happy to say, ohhhh, the CDL in ON with the ABS! Also, RR/FR are also engaged! They are now working perfectly! I will send some pictures later to show you guys how beautiful those lights are! I hope this thread can be an example for newbies to overcome this common puzzle. I guess my CDL has not been used for a very very long time. Millions of thanks to all of you!

Key: try tight 8s in a unpaved ground!

No s***.

Seriously, I'm glad that you got it worked out. Keep 'em loose.

I have a 96 lx450. Diff lock will not turn off/disengage. Tried everything. Circles. Figure 8's. Moving from low high. Driving in reverse. Is there a way to manually turn off diff lock until I can get to repair shop... Noise and fighting it is a huge problem in the parking lots until I can get it to shop next week.

Kudos for using the search. Your problem appears a little different than original poster but should get some help shortly

Which diff lock is stuck on to help folks help you?

If center did you do any driving on dry pavement with Ctr locked. May be bound up preventing unlock. Can you lift all 4 wheels to help diagnose (space and tools to do so). I would look at the switch on top of the tcase

If rear...Were you wheeling hard or with those tires in your avatar before this happened?

You may have twisted an axle shaft. What you describe was my symptoms. Got done with a trail and could not disengage rear. Depending on how bad you may be able to remove the slicker motor hosing and try physically moving the dog collar back toward the pass rear tire direction to uncouple the locked splines.

I'm new (and a girl) so thank you for your patience. I am however somewhat capable in tooling (grew up in a shop w my dad). I don't know if it's center or rear. This truck was a play truck that got put up for several months after an all nighter where I was not present. I'm only driving it while my other car is in the shop. So, first, how can I determine if it's center or rear I suppose?

I'm new (and a girl) so thank you for your patience. I am however somewhat capable in tooling (grew up in a shop w my dad). I don't know if it's center or rear. This truck was a play truck that got put up for several months after an all nighter where I was not present. I'm only driving it while my other car is in the shop. So, first, how can I determine if it's center or rear I suppose?
Oh, and those tires are not on it!!!! ;)

Easy way to answer that would be to see which side of instrument cluster are the diff lock indicator lamps illuminated. Left side under tach is Ctr diff and will have abs light on beside it to the left of activated/locked

Right side of instrument cluster under your trip odometer reset peg has lamps for front and rear lockers

A couple questions/info that may help

The rear can only be locked if the center is locked previously as detailed in the first page of this thread. How many lights are lit up on dash?

A locked center will illuminate the abs light (because disabled w/ Ctr lock) and the Ctr diff. Truck icon with ball in middle b/w the axles

Can you grab a picture of the dash light that is on?

You mention noise and fighting in parking lots. Either diff lock will add driving resistance esp with tight maneuvers and it's not good for the drivetrain. But the rear diff if locked would likely chirp the inside tire repeatedly pulling into a parking space.

Do you have a button on the dash that says Ctr diff lock? Or two hazard buttons? Or a button with two axles and a ball in the middle? Would not have come standard on a 96 but someone could have added a Ctr diff lock switch quite easily and it would be located right above the air vent selector for face and feet/face

It would be awesome if someone added this unknown to you and you simply pushed it by accident locking the center. The solution would be select it again and drive around in some gravel/dirt and see if you can't unbound the system and unlock.

I see you are in rock hill now. There are a couple places I could recommend if you wish to take it to someone if you have no success. Hopefully we can get it sorted out here first.

Easy way to answer that would be to see which side of instrument cluster are the diff lock indicator lamps illuminated. Left side under tach is Ctr diff and will have abs light on beside it to the left of activated/locked

Right side of instrument cluster under your trip odometer reset peg has lamps for front and rear lockers

A couple questions/info that may help

The rear can only be locked if the center is locked previously as detailed in the first page of this thread. How many lights are lit up on dash?

A locked center will illuminate the abs light (because disabled w/ Ctr lock) and the Ctr diff. Truck icon with ball in middle b/w the axles

Can you grab a picture of the dash light that is on?

You mention noise and fighting in parking lots. Either diff lock will add driving resistance esp with tight maneuvers and it's not good for the drivetrain. But the rear diff if locked would likely chirp the inside tire repeatedly pulling into a parking space.

Do you have a button on the dash that says Ctr diff lock? Or two hazard buttons? Or a button with two axles and a ball in the middle? Would not have come standard on a 96 but someone could have added a Ctr diff lock switch quite easily and it would be located right above the air vent selector for face and feet/face

It would be awesome if someone added this unknown to you and you simply pushed it by accident locking the center. The solution would be select it again and drive around in some gravel/dirt and see if you can't unbound the system and unlock.

I see you are in rock hill now. There are a couple places I could recommend if you wish to take it to someone if you have no success. Hopefully we can get it sorted out here first.

It is the center diff indicator light with the abs light on as well. No switch/button was ever added (all stock)... Wish it was that easy and was my first question to the old owner :-(

Yes with Ctr locked whether by button or low range selector. You should have abs light illuminated as well as Ctr diff. Icon

Like this (minus the two on the right ;) )
image.jpeg

Center diff lock comes on automatically when the transfer case is shifted into Low range. With car shop pres, put transmission into Neutral and then shift transfer into high. Put transmission back into drive and In figure 8's til CDL turns off.

Oops. My fault, Responded in haste and read your post as a question.

Ok well your axle locker isn't engaged at least but still not good to drive around with the center locked. If you can jack up at least one front and one rear you may have luck releasing it but doubtful

Sounds like the switch in top of tcase and I'm not certain enough to tell you how to proceed on further diagnosis. Usually it goes bad not allowing you to lock it not the other way around

Maybe a member better versed in the switch and motor assembly could chime in. @Tools R Us @inkpot maybe ?? Or try searching the forum for center diff lock threads for some evening reading

And just to be certain. You aren't in low range by chance are you. Doesn't sound like it if you've been out drivin around

Ok, so, contacted previous owner again and they did have a button/switch at one time but it broke!!! Looks like I can just get a new switch and try that.... Thank you all, will update tomorrow.

Man Inkpot. You're good. Answering before you were summoned :D

Good start. It would be located here and other Toyota switches may work in its place. Commonly another hazard switch is used. Here's it's locale. Maybe hit a junkyard up and save a few bucks

image.jpeg

Has it been on the whole time you've owned ?

Center diff lock comes on automatically when the transfer case is shifted into Low range. With car shop pres, put transmission into Neutral and then shift transfer into high. Put transmission back into drive and In figure 8's til CDL turns off.
Never turns off regardless of high/low

Oops. My fault, Responded in haste and read your post as a question.

Ok well your axle locker isn't engaged at least but still not good to drive around with the center locked. If you can jack up at least one front and one rear you may have luck releasing it but doubtful

Sounds like the switch in top of tcase and I'm not certain enough to tell you how to proceed on further diagnosis. Usually it goes bad not allowing you to lock it not the other way around

Maybe a member better versed in the switch and motor assembly could chime in. @Tools R Us @inkpot maybe ?? Or try searching the forum for center diff lock threads for some evening reading

And just to be certain. You aren't in low range by chance are you. Doesn't sound like it if you've been out drivin around
No, not driving in low

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom