Lou's [it only needs a clutch] 1976 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That doesn't look quite right, Lou. Did you replace the bearings and races? Koyo bearings? There should be no issue with the hub body seating into that seal.

Last edited:
That doesn't look quite right, Lou. Did you replace the bearings and races? Joyous bearings? There should be no issue with the hub body seating into that seal.

bearings were in great shape and were japanese....so i repacked and rolled....ive read up and some say it takes some seating....tightening and loosening the nut etc....driver side is good to go now....pass side is still a little tight....but it's close....just has a lot of drag....

Here is the driver side on top. And the pass side on bottom. The pass side jam nut is almost all the way on. Just thought it needed to go on a tad more......

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Are these rubber rings/gaskets pertinent to the hub reinstall?

Didn't have any when I removed them. Not sure where they would go anyway. There's no definable groove that I can see.

image.jpeg

Take lots of pics. I'm tearing mine apart this week. @euclid let me borrow his bigass socket.

i feel like the whole assembly should still be sitting back about another 1/4" or so.......i am going to try and get the snap rings on and if they fit well, i guess im GTG......

Take lots of pics. I'm tearing mine apart this week. @euclid let me borrow his bigass socket.

what do you want pix of lol....im not very good at remembering.....i think about it and take one or two here and there and remember when all done.

on a side note, i got the driver side snap ring in no problem. just had to pull the shaft out a hair......about to eat some dinner and close it on up the rest of the way.

Not too familiar with Warn hubs but I think that O-ring goes under the dial if rebuilding the hub

Not too familiar with Warn hubs but I think that O-ring goes under the dial if rebuilding the hub

that is kind of what i was thinking. there was no need to remove the drive gear from the hub, as it is all in good shape. theyve been cleaned out very well and greased....

Driver's side went in all smooth. Not enough axle showing on the passenger's side. So. I will have to fiddle with it some more. Been hanging with the kiddo. So not much progress today.

Once I get that side worked out. I should be moving along pretty good.

image.jpeg

Pretty sure I was right. That putter seal was keeping the hub from seating properly. Got it sorted. I think. Still feel like they both should be a little further back. But they're both buttoned up.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

chose to use an angel grinder with a worn out flap disc. was able to round off the front of the stud and use an old castle nut to cut back on. put a new one on after removing the old....

pretty sure it's good to go now.......whew......

I was gonna suggest a thread chaser or die, but looks like you got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom