Loose pinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is my front pinion supposed to have this much play in it?
Also how do I check my transfer case fluid?
The vid will be posted below
I can't get the vid on because it says it doesn't have an extension. The pinion has about 3 inches of left to right travel

Last edited:
nothing you are posting is remotely understandable. Left to right would indicate drive's side/passenger side. No way you have 3" of play

Sorry about the wording my phone was flipping out and I had to keep setting it down I guess I lost it. Yes left to right is driver side/passenger side. What's the normal play supposed to be like on the pinion?

Sorry about the wording my phone was flipping out and I had to keep setting it down I guess I lost it. Yes left to right is driver side/passenger side. What's the normal play supposed to be like on the pinion?

If you are referring to 3" of rotational play it means the diff is F'd.

Pretty sure he means rotating left to right, not horizontal play left to right. The play in the pinion rotating left to right is a little much but with lots of miles comes play.
That's exactly what I meant. It just hit 240k so I guess that's a lot of miles. Where do I check my transfer case fluid I can't seem to find it.

There may be nothing serious wrong with it either.

3 inches is an ambiguous measurement for rotation. Degrees would be better. The rotational slop is the sum total of all the clearances in the axle from the drive flanges, Birfields, side gears, pinion gears, etc. A little wear in all of them can add up to a lot of rotation.

Lots of folks have changed out gearsets for different ratios, so lots of good used ones around if you just need replacements

There may be nothing serious wrong with it either.

3 inches is an ambiguous measurement for rotation. Degrees would be better. The rotational slop is the sum total of all the clearances in the axle from the drive flanges, Birfields, side gears, pinion gears, etc. A little wear in all of them can add up to a lot of rotation.
About 35 degrees of movement

I am trying to track down a clacking (not clunking) noise up front. Goes away when under load and only occurs when coasting. I removed the front drive shaft and it's gone. Noticed about 10 degrees of rotation on the pinion sleeve to the diff. Does this sound problematic?

I am trying to track down a clacking (not clunking) noise up front. Goes away when under load and only occurs when coasting. I removed the front drive shaft and it's gone. Noticed about 10 degrees of rotation on the pinion sleeve to the diff. Does this sound problematic?
Have you greased the joints lately?

A good place to start. I just did both and the noise is gone. Unexpected as I replaced the u-joint bearings about 18 months ago. Perhaps I didn't grease them enough initially. My neighbor is a retired mechanic and thought the play in the Pinion sleeve was excessive. I thought is was normal (for a tractor) and wanted to get some opinions.
Many thanks for your response. I'll keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom