Loose Mirror Problem - Not Shaky mirror - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, now it has...:rolleyes: got a "new" set of mirrors on the way...

Bummer. My fix may be broken as well. Its in the garage so its last on my list right now. I had the truck towed down to my shop (Dad's garage) to rebuild the head. I forgot to fold my mirrors when the truck left (was loaded facing rear) and I think the wind broke my fix. I have a second passenger mirror assembly lying around for the fix. But was bummed.

I found the "broken tab on top of post" issue to be an easy fix. Disassembled mirror - without unbolting from door - then used a 3" long 3/16" panhead bolt up through post and spring with few 3/4" fender washers on each end. I was able to fit bolt right alongside wires. Tightening the nut down is more than enough torque to tension the spring until the top washers hit the top of post. Tested tension by swinging mirror both ways and seems like it will hold forever, arguably even better than original design. I used a phillips bolt although hex head would have been bit easier to secure while you're tightening nut. I didn't bother with lockwasher under nut since spring keeps it tight.

Enough room to route the wires the original way with that panhead bolt?

yep - snug but it works. I suppose the threads could eventually wear the insulation down but who moves the mirror that often? There was just enough slack in wire to pull mirror off post or unplugging terminals. good luck!

Worked

yeah I used a 1 inch fender washer on top and cut out a notch with a dremel for the wires to go through, seems to be enough room. Took about 10 minutes.

It just happened to me, my mirror broke but I read the post and I got it fixed quickly, there is another way to fix it, here I go:

1. Disassemble your mirror completely, (OUTER PARTS ONLY).
2. Compress the spring with a pair of channel locks and secure with several zip ties, be careful since the spring holds lots of tension.
3.Drill a hole where the broken tabs used to be (large enough to fit a strong enough nail)
4. Assemble the unit back up, leave the u washer on top and once compressed enough use a nail that fits snugly though the hole that you made and bend the ends and there you go, this worked for me quite well and the spring is going no where now.

Once again thank you for your help, keep em coming.

Thex

yet another mirror spring fix

Thanks to all these great posts, even I was able to do this, with a slight variation - Third attempt after 3 hours of :doh:: I used 3 sizes of washers all on 1/4" bolt with the wiring running up thru next to the bolt. This eliminates the need to grind some of the washers for the wire - I screwed that up by grinding a "C" so happened to find the small washers lying around. Works like new, saved a ton of cash. Here's a pic before I put the medium fender washer and locking nut on top.

washers.jpg

I need to head to the hardware store, mine broke a while back and I have just zip tied it to keep it from flapping in the wind.

Just a follow up to see how all of your fixes are going? Ive had my ds mirror secured with a bungee cord now for a year and a half... and think it may be time for a less redneck solution. The bungee cord and the ends of the zipties securing my shaky mirror do give my truck a certain appeal... but its getting close to time to 'cleaning' it all up.

Over 6 years and still going strong. I have even folded the mirrors in when things are tight and still no problems. :hillbilly:

Now that I have said this, the mirror is probably going to fly off and poke my eye out. :doh:

Haha, funny how life works like that. Have a few hours before work and am about to head out to ACE to bolt up my DS mirror and remove its bungee cord field fix.

Sent from my iPhone

Shoulda gotten pics, but I just used one fender washer, 3/16 3" bolt, but and locking nut, and my mirrors is perfect with the wires running through the spring perfectly. Quick easy 5 min fix!

Sent from my iPhone

Another method is to drill down through the vertical mirror housing support bracket to enlarge the hole just enough to pass a section of hollow All-Thread (used for lamps). Then reassembled the housing, spring and other parts putting fender washers on each end of the All-Thread (top and bottom), keeping the least amount of All-Thread showing inside the housing (top side). Next, thread the nuts on the All-Thread to secure, tighten and compress the spring. As the spring compresses, let the excess All-Thread drop to the underside of the mirror support bracket and cut off the exposed nipple with a Dremel tool. Feed the mirror control wire up through the All-Thread and reattach to the motor on the mirror body.

Last edited:
I fixed mine by cutting new slots for the retaining clip as described in post #36. I tried the bench vice and zip-tie method to keep the spring compressed without success, but did have luck with safety wire. I wore a face shield throughout the process - that spring is strong.

Side mirror spring.jpg

Once again IH8MUD makes life easy. Great fix. Thank you all for contributing!

I used a 3/16 bolt. By putting a fender washer (I notched it) on top of the "U" clip (retaining all the components that were under the "U" clip in their original order) there was space for the wire to pass through with ease.

10 or 11 posts from the top shows what I did by putting two new grooves into the piece and shortening the spring slightly. Didn't have to buy anything, just worked with what was there

What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom