Loose Mirror Problem - Not Shaky mirror - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.joncahillphoto.com
On my way to drop off the boy at daycare, my passenger mirror moved into the window. I am not talking about normally shaky mirror syndrome, but the mirror pivots on it base freely. Like when you pull them in for a tight garage parking job. I took apart the mirror after work and figured out what is wrong, but cant fix it and need help. I know the mirror uses a spring to put tension on the normal position so it doesnt shift in traffic. The spring rests on a post with a few discs on top (for movement) and a U-shaped disc to provide the tension constantly. How in the world do I compress that spring to place the U-shaped pin back again??:mad:
I have tried pipe clamps and all sorts of way to compress it, but can find a way to compress it enough to slide the U-shaped disc into lock the spring down. Any thoughts or fixes? I tried searching, but all I find is the shaky mirror syndrome, thats for another day.

I had this same problem. Before you expend the time and energy trying to compress that spring, be sure that the post is intact. Near the top there should be a slot on each side of the post where the u-shaped disc slides in to lock the spring in place. On my post the post had given way enough to let the locking disc slip past, so it would no longer hold the spring.

My solution - the auto shop teacher at the school where I teach whipped up some super strong two part body filler(?) and we used it to fill in the gap between the mirror and the mirror base. Kinda ghetto, but it won't be flopping around anymore. HTH.

I had the same thing, mirror pivot let loose. The locking tabs on top of the post broke. Since it's my trail truck I simply put a hose clamp around the base of the mirror and mount. :hillbilly:

I didnt think of those redneck ideas. I thought of using a bolt on the inside to bolt it down and dill another hole for the wires. Or drilling a whole in the post and use another spring that will fit. I did find another shorter spring at work today, maybe it will fit.

Looks like there isnt much of a real fix other than new, or redneck. Off to the weekend road trip in the 4Runner, than back to working on this. Just wish the company 4runner had lockers....oh well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The top part of mine where the slot for the retainer was broken on mine....used a green mirroor base, rattle caned it to match my black and then tried to put it back together....what a PITA. I had to make a jig to compress the spring while giving me room to slide the retainer in. my jig consisted of a piece of AL bar stock that I milled a slot in the bottom wide enuf for the retainer to slide in with a hold bored in it with a large enough diameter to clear the post but small enuf to compress the spring and washer. I used a large C-clamp with this for compression while holding the mirror base in a vice.

Good luck

Just realized my driver side mirror is doing this. Does anyone have a diagram showing how this should all go together?

So I pulled it all apart, no diagram is really needed. I looked at the other mirror and its obvious how it all goes together. Don't know how I'll get the spring compressed but the top of the post does show signs of wear. I don't know if it will hold the clip or not.
If I can fix it, I'll post the solution here.

Last edited:
ok.. I took it all apart. Top of the post is definetly broken. Doesn't look like it can be repared. I will use an adhesive to glue it in place.

Any suggestions on where to glue it? either on the post itself on the inside of the mirror assembly or between the mounting bracket and the bottom of the mirror.

Also, any suggestions on what to use to glue it? I think the mirror assembly is plastic

it's an easy fix, take the screw out of the bottom middle of the mirror and slowly, gently lift up on the bottom of the mirror as you pull out on it. unplug the 3 wires (note there location/order brown,red,black i think). you will most likley notice the top out side edges of one or both the corners are broken off. you will need to repair this. lay the mirror down on a flat surface. use some duct or metal tape on the bottom side of the black peice and mold a little pocket. mix up some "JB weld" and put it in the pocket you made with the tape. let it set over night to cure. i used a drimel and a small file to reshape the hole and thin it out so it would hang back on the hook correctly. (use good side or other mirror as a patteren). I spent about 10 minutes taking the mirror off, prep, and mixing up the "jb weld" once it cured i spent another 10 minutes with a drimel and fitting it back on. if you make the "jb weld" to thick it will not hang correctly, just reshape it to fit, if you take to much off, apply some more "JB weld" and start over. i't been almost a year and haven't had any more issues with mine.

good luck.

Last edited:
I bet you can pick up the entire assembly in a junk yard for cheap. Just another idea.

I like this idea. I was just going to use some double sided tape for now but this seems doable. I have just a few questions if I can ask them...
you will most likley notice the top out side edges of one or both the corners are broken off.

The top of the post is worn and doesn't hold the clip that holds the spring down. Is what your talking about?

As far as the mold, I'm a little confused about where exactly it should be.

Is it on the post itself or on the black peice that slides over the post?

about the spring, any tricks compressing it in order to get the clip on?

thanks for the help, much appreciated

Fixed. I tried jb weld and it didn't work. So, I ran a bold thru spring holder from the bottom of the mirror mount up thru the carrier. I Put a washer over the round spring retainer, tossed the u shaped retainer clip, in my box of stuff, thru some locktite on the threads, and tightened it up. I just fed the wires thru a small square hole already in the mirror carier.

Works perfectly, smoother than the other side.

I fixed mine about 2 years ago and it is still holding. Same thing happened to me.

Code:
I had this same problem. Before you expend the time and energy trying to compress that spring, be sure that the post is intact. Near the top there should be a slot on each side of the post where the u-shaped disc slides in to lock the spring in place. On my post the post had given way enough to let the locking disc slip past, so it would no longer hold the spring.

No epoxy or Locktite. I parked out in front of an Ace hardware store and picked through their hardware bins until I found what I needed. I ran a screw and fender washer up from the bottom through the shaft, threw on 3 spacers with a large ID over the center post to compress the spring and another fender washer on top. Tightened the first nut until the force felt right compared to the passenger side and then added a double nut to lock everything down.
P9020045.jpg
P9020044.jpg

Thats pretty much how I fixed it flagstaff. Ended up finding the right size hardware in the box o junk. Also ended up breaking my passenger mirror piece while assembling it. Ohwell, just another thing to fix. I taped it up where it is usable, but being that I have no front bumper I will work on that next as the mirror technically works now.

I used the bolt method as well, but for the washers I stacked 4 thin fender washers with an OD larger
than the spring OD so it would compress the spring. I grinded a V-shaped wedge out of the 4 thin washers
to give the wire a place to pass by the washer while still being able to compress the spring. Used a nylon
lock nut and a 3" long stainless bolt on top so it wouldn't back out instead fo double nutting.

Here is a pic from the top side of the mirror:

Window Pivot Fix.jpg
Window Pivot Fix.jpg

Last edited:
These are some pics of what the pieces look like and can be used for identifying the parts described above.

Pic 1 is a picture of what the post looks like. At the top yo ucan see it is completely work where the retainer clip holds the spring mechanism down.

Pic 2 is a mold made to replace the lip around the top of the post using JB Weld. (this eventually cracked upon installation and would not hold the spring in place)

Pic 3 is a redneck thought of compressing the spring (I know - major brain fart) this also was a failure, the heads of the zip ties would not allow the spring to slide into place completely.
IM005748.jpg
IM005755.jpg
IM005762.jpg

Here are some pics of the various internal parts of the mirror assembly. This may help some visualize what others are referring to in their brilliant solutions for this issue.

My solution? I bought a used mirror housing for 30 bucks.
IM005747.jpg
IM005753.jpg
IM005749.jpg

I was not able to use the ziptie method there either. I ended up using a bolt to compress the spring. With the addition of large washers, I have a fully functional pivoting mirror. Just had to re-route my wires with the help of a drill bit.

Man this is an old thread of mine. Nice pic there Jack.

15 minute fix.

FWIW, this happened to me today. The post clip retainers were bent, but not broken off. My 15 minute solution, including dismantling was to:

-Remove mirror and housing
-Drill Cross hole through top of post - This will take a pin later
-use two plastic clamps on each side of spring to compress (think of the trigger actuated style clamps that you gradually compress)
-With spring compressed, install washer, clip, and put pin through the hole drilled in step two - goes across the top of the retainer clip.
-re assemble mirror housing.
-Step 6 :beer:

This fix may work for 10 years or 10 days, don't know...

A helpful hint: Wire order for mirror adjustment from top to bottom is Black, brown, red.

Tried Flanks idea . . .
. .worked really well . . . for about a week
. . .the pin through the post tore the top of the post off
(sheared a slot in the top of the post)
. . . . . . the spring has a crap load of compressed energy !

gonna try the bolt & nut trick . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom