Looking for info on: Continental Divide Motor Vehicle Route South to North (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to adventure from Mexico boarder through New Mexico along the continental divide trail but on 4 wheels this winter.

Looking for information or if you have a route saved and willing to share, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Figured someone on here has done this and stuck to mostly dirt/gravel roads.

Thanks for your time!

I would also love more information about this, so if you find it elsewhere, please share it back!

I would also love more information about this, so if you find it elsewhere, please share it back!
Will do… only hearing crickets …. 🦗

There is a series of books by a overlander( cant remember the name but I'll look ) that details trails like this. Theres one up in Oregon /North Cali & Wash that runs thru private prop with gates, has historic sites ( wells, trail stops, etc) and covers blm land. I dont know if there is a contiguos path, you may have to jump on pavement for sections. Maybe you compile a path using all trails and other sites then post the route for others, possible that particular run has never been connected via offroad. Try posting in the expedition build section

There is a series of books by a overlander( cant remember the name but I'll look ) that details trails like this. Theres one up in Oregon /North Cali & Wash that runs thru private prop with gates, has historic sites ( wells, trail stops, etc) and covers blm land. I dont know if there is a contiguos path, you may have to jump on pavement for sections. Maybe you compile a path using all trails and other sites then post the route for others, possible that particular run has never been connected via offroad. Try posting in the expedition build section
Thanks @peesalot (lol… as I type it out)
I’ll definitely post what I find and if I create I’ll share! Thanks for the heads up on the book and the other link to post in!

I know a lot about the divide from North MT down to the old pony express area in Wyoming

In the winter time, you're not getting up and over any off-road mountain passes and will be forced to stay lower. Areas in Wyoming will also be snowed out. The corridor from SW MT / Idaho area up into the bitteroots is awesome.

Actually driving on the physical divide isn't really possible for most of the route but there are some sections in Idaho where it can be done in late summer, no snow.

Just for reference, can share more details on routes if needed...Black is paved, silver is off road, red is scary 4x4, yellow is still to be done
1702490193024.png

Ya, not remotely possible in winter to cross Colorado as I'm not aware of any route close to the the continental divide that's less that 10,000'. And, Wyoming and Montana, if they are possible, could be miserable depending on weather, not just snow, but -20 and blowing 50 mph.

Ya, not remotely possible in winter to cross Colorado as I'm not aware of any route close to the the continental divide that's less that 10,000'. And, Wyoming and Montana, if they are possible, could be miserable depending on weather, not just snow, but -20 and blowing 50 mph.
I’m looking for mostly the New Mexico route and then will push north into Colorado when seasons change.
Have you done NM part before?

I am a Wyoming native and when I was younger I did not get off road much alone in the winter and then when it started to thaw in the spring there was still snow and mud outside of town. Our highways get closed a lot and I80 is the most closed stretch in the country in southern Wyoming. We can have weeks of sub zero temps with wind.

The offroad trails can be burred under feet of snow not far from town. Is best to ride trails in the summer.

I am a Wyoming native and when I was younger I did not get off road much alone in the winter and then when it started to thaw in the spring there was still snow and mud outside of town. Our highways get closed a lot and I80 is the most closed stretch in the country in southern Wyoming. We can have weeks of sub zero temps with wind.

The offroad trails can be burred under feet of snow not far from town. Is best to ride trails in the summer.
It is rugged out in your parts for sure. I've only been through once in late May. It was still spring run off and the water levels were high. Lot of really cool history along the southern part of the state.

This was in WY along the historic mormon trail / pony express route. Wind River range in the background. It's amazing to think people could survive here back in the day.

1702913771601.png
1702913803427.png

I live at that foot of the Wind River Range and is one of my favorite places in the world.

I had the fortune to have a 4th grade teacher that gave us a great window into the history of Wyoming and I loved every minute of it.

There were dry land farmers in that area and I don't understand how they survived.

The Union Pacific has a lot to do with people setting in Wyoming, and most that settled came by train. The pioneers that came through by wagon train it was just 30 days to get through.

The Mormons almost lost an entire party on the Sweetwater River because they had very little stock in February at Independence Rock. luckily a rescue party was sent from Salt Lake City and found the survivors.

Thanks for waiting, having trouble locating all my files. Here's what I did, I bought a GPS file from here and had it in my Garmin. However, he had a Google Maps version that was free (pictured below) but I cannot find it on his site anymore. You might be able to reach out and see if he would share it?

As far as any other information regarding the route what were you wanting to know? I have some minor highlights/details in my thread starting on post #17 but can provide more if you would like.

1703681487924.png

Has anyone put together directions for any of the parts of this ?

Has anyone put together directions for any of the parts of this ?
There isn't just a set route for a trek like this. You need to take each section at a time and have a few options planned

Thats why I asked if anyone had put together directions for the parts/sections of the route but thanks for pointing out tghe obvious.

Thats why I asked if anyone had put together directions for the parts/sections of the route but thanks for pointing out tghe obvious.
OK smart ass I just think taking the easy way out on a cross country off road trek is asking a bit much. I'm sure some people will have routes to share but what fun is that. Follow the divide and map out your own path

I've got dozens of routes but you should put in some time to study the maps and figure it out. Do you have Gaia or any sort of mapping software? What type of route file are you looking for? Here's an image showing an example of the amount of waypoints and routes that are possible in just a small section of the divide.

1705598095304.png

1705598204124.png

Last edited:
Bro, my post above yours literally gives you a site for directions... but I would hate to point out the obvious.

I could google it too, I was looking for directions from someone who has done a section or sections. I appreciate the link, thanks for all the help.
Mike NXP, relax, not a smart ass and you can shove yer maps up yer arse, " what fun is that " none for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom