LHD to RHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just had my brand spanking "new" FJ40 arrive. Started the take down process, and have noticed what to me looks rather strange. If i am not mistake, i believe this car was a LHD initially, but has been converted to a RHD.

I have a few pictures below of inside the car, and also under the hood, but apart from looking at the pictures, is there any other information i can use to find out? Like using the serial number?

This information might be the clue….
1. The metal tag / id plate, is just inside the left hand door
2. The fuse box is under the left hand dash

Ok, so im not really clued up about adding pics nicely into the thread, so will explain them here.

1. Glove compartment on the LHS - it has 2 screws holding it firmly in place.
2. With the screws removed - as you can see, a bit of a mess in there and def no glove compartment.
3. Looking under the hood on the LHS
4. number 3 zoomed in. Is that the steering arm/mechanism?
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg

It is has the original VIN plate the model number should start with F40L if it was a LHD from the factory.

Looks like the steering wheel might be hooked to the otherside through the cabin through that pipe? Like drivng school cars are set up? Werid

That is certainly a steering box on the LHS. Is it not connected to anything? Wow.
facepalm_normal.jpeg

I will update in about 12 hours, tomorrow morning if not at work. She arrived late so didn't manage to get the best and most thorough check out. Will also get some better pics too...

Looks like the steering wheel might be hooked to the otherside through the cabin through that pipe? Like drivng school cars are set up? Werid

That could very well make sense!! Didn't even think of that. Tbh, I was always wondering what that was in there for??? It never made much sense to me and the place I got it from didnt have a clue. They hardly spoke English and she was cheap :)

Here is a pic from inside that I took a while ago and would probably confirm your idea. Should make my life interesting :) hehe
image.jpg

Headline: "Worlds first Land Cruiser US Postal jeep"

I cringed just typing it...

That looks like a ton of work for a poor job to cross over a Cruiser. Bizarro post of the week for sure.

Looks like the brake and clutch pedals are setup the same way. Personally I would switch back to LHD if it is legal to do. Guessing with all the original parts it would be a easy switch.

I believe this to be the original VIN, oops about being upside down

That would be one of two VIN plates. The one under the hood would have the modle number. Pre 78 it would be on the right side fender below the battery. 78 and later on the right side of the firewall. But this clearly is a LHD still with some mod to control from the passenger's seat, really weird.

Kenya is RHD same as Aus, but most of Africa is LHD. Maybe it came in from up north? Wild rig dude. Congrats on your new 40!

interesting ... I agree with the thought that if its legal to run LHD, it might make sense to convert it back, especially if you're tearing down the truck anyway ... you seem to have the steering box already there ... just another dimension to your project ...
:cheers:

how are the clutch and brake pedal attached one side to another?

weird is right

Just had a look under the dash…….

Looks like the brake and clutch pedals are setup the same way.

……. Yup, it has a series of rods connecting it to the other side, all look welded in a typical dodgy fashion with an arc welder. Not sure if the pics below will show it well, but one taken from under the dash on both sides.

Kenya is RHD same as Aus, but most of Africa is LHD. Maybe it came in from up north? Wild rig dude. Congrats on your new 40!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=858306&stc=1&d=1391236738

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=858307&stc=1&d=1391236834

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=858309&stc=1&d=1391236834

Cheers, it is a rather strange set up! My plan with this baby is to strip her down to the chassis and rebuild her from the bottom up. As to what i am going to do with her, i am not entirely sure, but have 2 basic ideas.

1. I would love to make her full street legal and become my safari car. Imagine driving around the Maasai Mara in this old school cruiser. If she did well, cold also be a good rental to make some cash for those wanting a more "original" safari experience. For this though, she would have to be converted to RHD as driving on the roads here is scary enough, let alone sitting on the wrong side of the car!!!

2. Rhino Charge car. for those of you who don't know what this is, google it! But would need to do a LOT of beefing up!

Either way, a larger diesel engine, maybe a 2H (it has a 2L at the moment). As far as the thread topic goes, i will cross that bridge when i finally come to it, but make no mistake, this shoddy set up as it is now…..will GO!!!!! hahahahaha

Once i start really working on the rig, i will create another thread :) but till then, i need to build a garage / working area, buy some tools and spend spend spend…...
IMG_1569.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg

Is there much free-play in the steering wheel?

Those vertical supports from the tranny-hump look really dodgy. I guess they found that "steering drive tube crossover" moving around too much and had to stiffen it.

And those rods transferring the pedal movements from right to left!... :eek:

(The driver sits on the right but both the clutch and brake masters REALLY ARE on the left!!!!)

I wouldn't be inside that cruiser on a mountain pass if you paid me..

Maybe you can sell photos of this to someone who does quality LHD/RHD swaps. (They may want to show customers a good example of the possible consequences of choosing less reputable shops.)

:beer:

It is has the original VIN plate the model number should start with F40L if it was a LHD from the factory.

Took a good few mins to locate the VIN number near the battery as it was painted over nice and thick :) then another 10 mins of work using paint remover and then a tooth brush and soap, the birth certificate came through, and as suspected LHD.

Now to decipher the rest of it

Is there much free-play in the steering wheel?

Yes, and i could add even more dodgy pics to this thread. It seems there is a few pieces of car tyre? on the steering column to help with…..your guess is as good as mine :)

And those rods transferring the pedal movements from right to left!... :eek:

(The driver sits on the right but both the clutch and brake masters REALLY ARE on the left!!!!)

Yup

I wouldn't be inside that cruiser on a mountain pass if you paid me..

Where is your sense of adventure ;) hahahahaha :steer::steer::steer:

Maybe you can sell photos of this to someone who does quality LHD/RHD swaps. (They may want to show customers a good example of the possible consequences of choosing less reputable shops.)

:beer:

Know any body as would be very willing to sell them :)
IMG_1587.jpg

Plenty of RHD 4x Cruisers down here mate, so your conversion back probably won't be the nightmare it appears to be. Good luck dude, bummer bout the surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom