Builds Lexus LX450 Cummins 6bt/NV4500 swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Wheelingnoob I'm with you on the driveability, sound like the build I hope to copy someday.

I have an he351 that I plan on using also. It's an all around better turbo vs the stock 12v turbo. Bigger charge side to clean up extra fuel and smaller hot housing for quick spooling.

Plan today was to get oil pan off cleaned up, painted and reinstalled along with the rear main.

Got the pan off, zero material in the bottom no metallic bits at all. Very impressed with that usual there is some.

Started cleaning it up and brushed a bit of rust......... And holes. Pan is Swiss cheese under the rust and there is atleast 20 pits that are almost rotted right though. I was able to get the two holes welded up but don't trust the rest of the pan. So Cummins is getting in a replacement pan next week. Would rather do this part right becouse to drop the pan in the truck requires removing it.

That was about my day lol, everything looks mint in the bottom end. No sludge or heat marks, supper clean.

Ordered a intercooler last night along with a turbo outlet flange that I can weld my elbow directly too.

Poland to open my nv4500 today too but that all went out the window when the pan issue started up.

I need to actualy start putting this engine back together I have a huge pile of parts taking up room.

Oh also started making a shopping cart of performance bits. Just a 3k GSK and a AFC spring kit so far. I'll adjust the waste gate acctuator to get a bit more boost. Thoes mods should be all I need right now.

I also got a fitting for the inlet of the fuel heater housing so I can run 1/2 fuel line from the tank to it. I think 1/2 will be sufficient.

That pan issue is bizarre, any idea what causes that?

That pan issue is bizarre, any idea what causes that?
It likely has to do with the engine oil taking so long to warm up. On short trips it's never warm enough to totally dry it.

But it's not an issue to only the Cummins, I have seen it on Toyota, Chev and Nissan diesels too.

When I get my new one I plan to scuff it and coat in POR 15. Then semi annually oil the pan to keep any chips from rusting.

You know whats funny Jeremy? Like you I also sunk a little coin in doing my Isuzu/A440 swap, although it works well, I want to do 70 on the freeway consistently, which is why I am slapping in a 24v and nv4500. Haha! Look forward to seeing yours come together, and a mucho thank you for all the effort and information you've put out there!

You know whats funny Jeremy? Like you I also sunk a little coin in doing my Isuzu/A440 swap, although it works well, I want to do 70 on the freeway consistently, which is why I am slapping in a 24v and nv4500. Haha! Look forward to seeing yours come together, and a mucho thank you for all the effort and information you've put out there!

That is funny, am I ahead of you this time? Lol

Are you planing to change the final drive gearing? I just went for a ride in a 12v swapped truck with a NV4500 and it would not go any faster than 70mph it was right on the Governor. I can't see it getting good economy at that.

Funny thing is my Isuzu did 70mph no problem.

Interested to see how yours goes with a 24v.

Are you planing to change the final drive gearing? I just went for a ride in a 12v swapped truck with a NV4500 and it would not go any faster than 70mph it was right on the Governor. I can't see it getting good economy at that.

Where did the guy have the governor set on that motor? 3K? What size tires?

Where did the guy have the governor set on that motor? 3K? What size tires?
315/75's with a stock VE pump non intercooled from a 90. It started defueling at 2200rpm and stopped making power to accelerate at 2400rpm.

That is my reason to go to the 3k GSK. Honestly if the CND was not so crap I would likely go with a 4k. But that requires valve springs and such that Im not decided on yet.

315/75's with a stock VE pump non intercooled from a 90. It started defueling at 2200rpm and stopped making power to accelerate at 2400rpm.

That is my reason to go to the 3k GSK. Honestly if the CND was not so crap I would likely go with a 4k. But that requires valve springs and such that Im not decided on yet.

So 2400rpm at 70mph isn't that bad, really. Where the governor was set gives a false sense of "screaming engine at redline", lol. My truck is right around 2400rpm at 110km/h on 33's, and I'm not concerned about fuel economy due to high revs.

What's "CND"?

I don't have my 98 12v anymore but assume all the p-pump are the same. And remember 3200 as stock red line but all the rest 94-97 were 3k from dodge trucks. Mine pulled hard all the way. It does not defuel like the VE and has a higher stock rpm to start.

Do you have a p-pump from an industrial application?

Sent from my SM-G900V

So 2400rpm at 70mph isn't that bad, really. Where the governor was set gives a false sense of "screaming engine at redline", lol. My truck is right around 2400rpm at 110km/h on 33's, and I'm not concerned about fuel economy due to high revs.

What's "CND"?
CND = Canadian dollar.

I think you're ahead of me this time!

I'm pulling the motor and trans from my '01 4x4, it goes down the road 70-80 no problem (3.89 gears, I think, or 3.55), and uphill at that speed too, even pulling a trailer. With the taller tires on the 80 I am guesssing, without doing any calculations mind you, that I should get the same or better

You should have 3k gov already. Unless Canadian dodges where different?

Sent from my SM-G900V

My buddy had a 1st gen Ram 2500 that had a 2600rpm gov spring, it was VERY low even with 35" tires.

You should have 3k gov already. Unless Canadian dodges where different?

Sent from my SM-G900V
All the same from the reading I have done. Good to know they have 3k GSK in them already. May spring for the #60 springs for my exhaust valves then. I plan to run a PacBrake exhaust brake.

Gearing is an area that I am still undecided on. Unfortunately I have 4.56 gears currently (installed by prior owner...I have not yet verified). Assuming this is the case, I am going to have to do a gear swap as I am not looking to run 39/40" tires.

I currently have 315/75/16 and like the size, but am not totally opposed to moving to 37's.
My 6BT is a P-Pump with a 4k GSK and other mods. I am running an NV4500 trans.

Options I am considering:
A) Go back to stock 4.10 gears and keep 315's
B) Go back to stock 4.10 gears and move up to 345 or 37's
C) Re-gear to Marks 3.54 and keep 315's
D) Re-gear to Marks 3.73 and keep 315's

What would you guys do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom