Land Cruiser vs Cyber Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would rather drive the slower lambo with an amazing exterior and interior that is art on wheels then a soulless shell. Also, I don’t street race as that’s illegal and dangerous. I have kids and over 40 that prefers comfort and quality with a little excitement. When I test drove the Model x it was just “blah”. Yes it’s very fast but besides that, it looks like an egg and xwing doors have continued issues and when it was 98f outside the ac turned hot as the cold air was redirected to protect the battery. Yeah, I’ll pass, thanks. 0-60 is highly overrated and really means nothing in the grand scheme of owning a vehicle
I think the x looks like an Pontiac Aztec. Our Model S interior was slightly sub par to MB S class or Audi A8. Our model 3 is every bit as nice as a BMW 5, Mercedes e or Audi A4.

As per the 0-60 I’ll never get tired of smoking any muscle car stop light to stop light every chance I get (up to the speed limit ;)) in our 3. I’m also (well) over 40 with kids and an alphabet soup of credentials behind my name.

and in my EV flooring it to the speed limit doesn't use any more power than accelerating slowly.

I think the x looks like an Pontiac Aztec. Our Model S interior was slightly sub par to MB S class or Audi A8. Our model 3 is every bit as nice as a BMW 5, Mercedes e or Audi A4.

As per the 0-60 I’ll never get tired of smoking any muscle car stop light to stop light every chance I get (up to the speed limit ;)) in our 3. I’m also (well) over 40 with kids and an alphabet soup of credentials behind my name.
Does all that mean others can not have an opinion or make choices? :hillbilly:

If you stop to think about the future possibilities it's mind boggling. Where is AI going to take us? Meanwhile let's enjoy the present while we still have the outdoors and access to it.
Yeah, AI will soon assemble virtually all known human knowledge... everything known to mankind... presented it in a humble way to please us at first and help us along... Then the helpful algo machines with their 40,000 IQ's will grow tired of we humans slowing them down... We will make interesting pets for them if they are into that kind of thing... Watch out for facial recognition and social credits it is already being used to limit the quality of life/freedom of citizens that do NOT conform with the wishes of those in control... (Not in the USA, yet.) It will be an interesting ride, it has already started no turning back...

NOW I see the design inspiration!! Small radar signature tinfoil hats!

NOW I see the design inspiration!! Small radar signature tinfoil hats!
I don't see a lot of citizens of Hong Kong or China wearing tin foil hats these days, but I do see them wearing masks to avoid AI and facial recognition. It helps them not disappear into the night forever...

We plan to rent both a 3 and X for a day each and drive them the way we do our current rides. No real plans to buy one but we may be swayed.

If I’m buying an EV, the Taycan is the only option in my book currently. The Tesla’s all look the same and are lifeless. The new Toyota Camry interior is leaps nicer. Not trying to bash Tesla as I really appreciate the fact that are made in the U.S and are innovators but they really need a better design team. The cybertruck, please give me a break. And the only reason they have 200k orders and not a realistic 5k orders at most is because of the cheap $100 down payment. My house cleaner could order 10 of them, doesn’t mean she’s buying even one. It’s a bandwagon move to feel like you’re apart of something “fad” and wait until they have to actually fork of cash to buy it. Wait and see how many actually sell. Good luck

ColeAK-what do you mean by “alphabet soup worth of credentials” as if that has some significance on why you own and praise the Tesla. Please explain if you don’t mind.

Analog = Bruiser
Digital = CyberTruck

Some people like vinyl records and some people like MP3s. I have to have both.

I think the cybertruck is beautiful because its soo ugly. If everyone was fawning over its looks I wouldn't like it.

I think the cybertruck is beautiful because its soo ugly. If everyone was fawning over its looks I wouldn't like it.

That’s probably the same reason I’m fond of the G-Wagon

If I’m buying an EV, the Taycan is the only option in my book currently. The Tesla’s all look the same and are lifeless. The new Toyota Camry interior is leaps nicer. Not trying to bash Tesla as I really appreciate the fact that are made in the U.S and are innovators but they really need a better design team. The cybertruck, please give me a break. And the only reason they have 200k orders and not a realistic 5k orders at most is because of the cheap $100 down payment. My house cleaner could order 10 of them, doesn’t mean she’s buying even one. It’s a bandwagon move to feel like you’re apart of something “fad” and wait until they have to actually fork of cash to buy it. Wait and see how many actually sell. Good luck

You're welcome to your opinion. To pick and choose what matters to you. As a connoisseur of fine things, including Porsche's, I don't think you're on the mark, especially that a Camry interior is nicer? But then again, it's your opinion and what I think doesn't matter.

I've driven lively cars, fine cars, boring cars. I own a Porsche, Lexus, and Tesla. They are all well balanced cars, and superlative in their own respective ways. It would be short-sighted IMO to dismiss Tesla for what they are not. Because what they are doing right is literally generations ahead of other marques.

I wouldn't mind a Taycan either. It would be a fine exciting vehicle. It's missing some things as it doesn't have a widely supported charging network, or autopilot, or a number of other things that really draw me to Tesla's at the moment. And there's no utility EV on the horizon.

I had 2 G Wagons - lost my taste for them quickly. Even though I think they are way sexier than the LC, but the LC is a superior vehicle. I think the Tesla will be similar to the LC. With less moving parts, and the experience of previous models they will make this a pretty die hard rugged vehicle.

"The cybertruck is not for everyone. It's no surprise that many people dislike or can't handle change.

It would be worthwhile to reflect and look at where we are now:
- Hate technology laden cars and tracking? Pssst, look at what's in your pocket tracking your every move, communication, transaction.
- EVs pollute? Sure, but all that swilling of fossil fuel, oil, oil changes I'm sure doesn't leave much of a footprint.
- Pay for 3rd party chargers? Still a fraction compared to fueling ICE vehicles
- Fuel cell? With what network? Some communities now are foregoing even natural gas infrastructure.
- Energy consumption of a 2.6s acceleration? The land bruiser is easily low single digits fuel consumption to maybe make 3x that acceleration number. Then it eats brake pads to slow as there's no regen.

The cybertruck is not going to replace our beloved Land Bruiser. But it's a right, big step, for the industry. "

Once again you don't actually read what others write. You are so blinded by your own bias that you just make assumptions. No one said they "hate" technology and no one mentioned tracking. I simply stated that I don't like the growing trend (and I said it was all manufactures) of not really owning things, like the software subscription model.

Yes, we know ICE cars pollute, people are simply pointing out that EVs pollute just as much, if not more once the manufacturing process is taken into consideration. Not to mention the obnoxious cloud of smug every EV trails behind it.

EV drivers act as if electricity is generated magically with no carbon footprint or impact.

Fuel cell? The only mention of fuel cells was someone asking of Toyota was still developing it?

So no you are worried about single digit mileage numbers in a Land "Bruiser"? and the fact that it uses brake pads and does not offer regenative braking? What are you even going on about?

"The cybertruck is not for everyone. It's no surprise that many people dislike or can't handle change.

It would be worthwhile to reflect and look at where we are now:
- Hate technology laden cars and tracking? Pssst, look at what's in your pocket tracking your every move, communication, transaction.

My biggest issue with technology laden vehicles is the expense to fix them when something inevitably goes wrong. I would be way more confident in addressing a mechanical issue myself than a technological one. For some reason, my little brain just can't grasp the coding/programming/etc. secret language of computer-ness (which is unfortunate for me, I know). Back to my Mini. It doesn't even have a temp gauge. Apparently not necessary for the average driver. The only reason I knew my thermostat had gone out was the engine light, which had to be read by Mini, over an hour from my house. If there had just been a temp gauge instead of relying on computer everything, this could've been something I would have been able to diagnose and address sooner and myself instead of having to make an appointment and road trip.

Also, I feel like the more tech a car has, the less the general public pays attention when driving and the less they understand about their vehicle in general. You can't tell me those digital touch screens aren't akin to texting and driving in taking focus away from the road. I don't think anyone who posts on here classifies as general public, just because y'all have an intelligent grasp of and enthusiasm for autos of every kind. I'm thinking more of the drivers like my mother who hopped in Dad's new Tahoe not realizing how large it was. She didn't understand the view via the backup camera, and, instead of physically taking a look around, trusted it to the utmost and promptly knocked off the driver's side mirror.

Furthermore, just because I don't prefer technology in my vehicles, doesn't mean I live in a cave and shun all technological advances. It JUST means, I don't prefer technology in my vehicles.

Toyota Tacoma owner gives his hands on comments

My biggest issue with technology laden vehicles is the expense to fix them when something inevitably goes wrong. I would be way more confident in addressing a mechanical issue myself than a technological one. For some reason, my little brain just can't grasp the coding/programming/etc. secret language of computer-ness (which is unfortunate for me, I know). Back to my Mini. It doesn't even have a temp gauge. Apparently not necessary for the average driver. The only reason I knew my thermostat had gone out was the engine light, which had to be read by Mini, over an hour from my house. If there had just been a temp gauge instead of relying on computer everything, this could've been something I would have been able to diagnose and address sooner and myself instead of having to make an appointment and road trip.

Also, I feel like the more tech a car has, the less the general public pays attention when driving and the less they understand about their vehicle in general. You can't tell me those digital touch screens aren't akin to texting and driving in taking focus away from the road. I don't think anyone who posts on here classifies as general public, just because y'all have an intelligent grasp of and enthusiasm for autos of every kind. I'm thinking more of the drivers like my mother who hopped in Dad's new Tahoe not realizing how large it was. She didn't understand the view via the backup camera, and, instead of physically taking a look around, trusted it to the utmost and promptly knocked off the driver's side mirror.

Furthermore, just because I don't prefer technology in my vehicles, doesn't mean I live in a cave and shun all technological advances. It JUST means, I don't prefer technology in my vehicles.

My biggest issue with this argument is that it's a bit myopic to compare the complexity of an electric car with any ICE vehicle, but particularly a 4x4 ICE vehicle. A vehicle like the Land Cruiser has a massive complex engine and sends power to a transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, differentials, and axle shafts. All of the those components need periodic maintenance and have lots of moving parts. An AWD electric car like the Model 3 for example skips basically all of that in favor of 2 electric motors (not physically connected to one another) that send power right to the wheels which has a long list of benefits not least of which is instant and immense power and incredibly fast traction control.

When you look at the car as a whole, there are simply fewer parts, and the ones they do use are heavy duty and very robust. I can't verify the veracity of the claims, but I've often heard the Model 3 has around 25 moving parts in the entire car whereas a complex ICE 4x4 has thousands (which also means exponentially more potential failure points). The car is also constantly monitoring itself and gets frequent over the air free software updates fixing bugs and making the car better and better. From what I understand, in the event of a motor failure which is exceedingly rare, you can actually still drive the car with only one of the two motors working. You can also at any time hold down the button on the steering wheel and literally send a voice message directly to Tesla to tell them about an issue with your car. I've had 2 Model 3s now, and the third time I drove the current one was on a race track. It now wears snow tires and is a daily driver regardless of conditions including a snow storm recently where we got 17" of snow, and the was amazing on unplowed roads (though the car itself ended up being a quasi plow). I'm not alone in the way I use it - these cars are not babied and many end up on tracks and being abused on a daily basis.

Regarding safety and usability, Teslas in particular are some of the safest cars ever made, and people get comfortable with the touchscreen interface extremely quickly. If you haven't driven one for a day, I'm sorry but you simply can't comment on how distracting it is or isn't. My 72 year old dad was in town and wanted to go for a ride in the Tesla, and after about a quarter mile he asked if he could actually drive instead. He immediately felt comfortable and loved how easy it was to drive and was laughing at the acceleration, and it wasn't long before his wife in the backseat asked for a turn to drive. She also raved about how comfortable, fun and easy it was. I love to let people drive my Model 3 and have done the full tour and test drive thing with well over 20 people in the last couple months, and ALL of them have been giggling like school kids (0-60 in 2.9 seconds with will do that to you) and raving about how easy and user friendly it is after a 5 minute orientation. People don't like the car, they LOVE the car including the most hard core skeptics who never thought they'd consider anything but a big ole American V8.

Regarding complexity and reliability, here is a Model 3 motor after 1 million miles, and it looks and performs as new.

Last edited:
Matt sort of reflected some things rolling around my head... I was listing all of the systems that go away when the ICE is eliminated and individual electric motors are placed at every corner.

No transfer cases, front diff, rear diff, propeller shaft, complex transmission, fuel systems, and on and on...

Definitely see the attraction.

Just hope some genius comes up with a new battery (or other) system that makes general “refueling” concerns go away sometime before I’m an old codger. ;)

Last edited:
If you stop to think about the future possibilities it's mind boggling.

I'm in software development; when I think of future possibilities, I tend to lean towards words like "terrifying," and "incredible class separation/poverty." There was that sci-fi movie about the elite living on a man-made, utopia planet, and the rest of the human population living in post-apocalyptic chaos on what was left of Earth. While undoubtably pessimistic, I suspect there's a very good chance of that being the future.

Meanwhile let's enjoy the present while we still have the outdoors and access to it.

Amen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom