EVSwap Land Cruiser 80 Series Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any recommendations for getting started learning about diy EV conversions? In my case, not a Cruiser but a Porsche 912e that has been sitting in my garage for 5+ years waiting for me to find time for an engine swap. Many of the online kits I looked at early on were 20K up. Given this car has the same engine as in the old VW buses (4 cyl Type4 VW) , parts and rebuild kit's are pretty cheap. It would be cool for sure, but not sure if it's worth it.
Check out www.diyelectriccar.com it's got a ton of builds. I'd stay away from the "kits." As you found out they are very expensive and secondly they are usually far from complete. EVWest has the most complete kits but they also have very poor service, so once you buy it you are on your own. Check out www.bratindustries.net, he has a lot of parts for the aircooled Porsche/VW stuff. The most cost effective option is to use his axle adapters for a Nissan LEAF motor. 2020+ LEAF Plus models have 212hp so that would be a riot to drive.

Check out www.diyelectriccar.com it's got a ton of builds. I'd stay away from the "kits." As you found out they are very expensive and secondly they are usually far from complete. EVWest has the most complete kits but they also have very poor service, so once you buy it you are on your own. Check out www.bratindustries.net, he has a lot of parts for the aircooled Porsche/VW stuff. The most cost effective option is to use his axle adapters for a Nissan LEAF motor. 2020+ LEAF Plus models have 212hp so that would be a riot to drive.
Looks compelling. Is that the EM47 motor you have? Even the EM57 has double the HP the 912e originally had.

Looks compelling. Is that the EM47 motor you have? Even the EM57 has double the HP the 912e originally had.
My truck has the EM57. All LEAFs from 2013 to 2022 have EM57s. The increase in power comes from the inverter and battery used. The EM57 is capable of over 400hp with a different battery and inverter. That's something different from how we think of ICE vehicles; with an EV usually the power is limited by the batteries.

Here is a dyno of a LEAF powered CRX making 300hp. The owner made upgrades and pushed it over 400hp.

Back in July I went with the Rising Sun Club, Stay the Trail, and the National Forest Rangers to open a gate for Kingston Peak Trail for the season. I drove the EV Land Cruiser up above 12,000ft elevation and below 18% battery! It was a nail biter! Check out the video:

Back in August EVTUNERS did a little walk around and test drive of my EV Land Cruiser. Check it out!

If you haven't listened to the EVTUNERS Podcast "The Next Great Car Era" you really should. He is an excellent interviewer and asks the in-depth questions that we want to hear. Not the high-level crap that a lot of people who don't really understand the technology ask: https://thenextgreatcarera.com/

My truck got featured in EV Builder's Guide! So cool!! It was awesome to meet Jerome and show off my truck. His writing and photos are really great too.

nTCMBFQ.jpg

dtS6s0W.jpg

dQQKB8b.jpg

VlNskcJ.jpg

X469lDr.jpg

CsiMgsr.jpg

B9vGZK4.jpg

Thats awesome, nice work. Is the content available online ? Have alot of ?'s regarding the drive system, regen & one pedal , great build.

links to more on the tesla in the fj40, Thats sick, and pass drop front & rear, curious how it does with the axle reduction, any stress on motor or doesnt exist with electric motor ? did you weigh that motor ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom