EVSwap Land Cruiser 80 Series Conversion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check out my EV Land Cruiser conversion. I have a full build thread here but I thought this new EV forum section would be a good spot to unload my photos and videos of the thing in action.

Build thread: 1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-land-cruiser-ev-conversion-evj80-project.1268985/

The truck uses a motor, battery, and other electronics from a 2017 Nissan LEAF. 80kw power (100hp), 187 ft-lbs, and 30KWH battery. Range is 50-60 miles depending on conditions. Top speed is 75 MPH.

It uses a BlackBox doubler and has the OEM transfer case for rock crawling. Been to Cruise Moab twice and wheel it in Colorado. It is a riot to drive. Literally better than a standard 80 series in every single way....except range. Range is a big problem 😅 So when I am wheeling I usually trailer it to the trailhead. But as far as driving feel and performance, it's no question the electric version is better. Way more fun to drive. This year I plan to add another battery to double the range.

fmZSdeA.jpg

gMGYBT2.jpg

xqdNro2.jpg

D0SFMbQ.jpg

cFV3Otn.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tim of Gamiviti (@nakman) and I hung around up in the misty mountains and took the EV80 out for a little cruise. Check it out!

Gamiviti is the maker of my roof rack and specializes in solar powered gear like fridges and water storage systems for overlanders. Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/

Been to Cruise Moab twice and wheel it in Colorado. It is a riot to drive. Literally better than a standard 80 series in every single way....except range. Range is a big problem 😅 So when I am wheeling I usually trailer it to the trailhead. But as far as driving feel and performance, it's no question the electric version is better. Way more fun to drive.

Can confirm. It's pretty impressive. And I just drove it around the parking lot at CM! But the jump from gas to diesel engine (I've got a lot of experience with that) is about the same as the jump from diesel to EV IMHO.

It's so cool. I can't wait to see what you do next!

Dan

Can confirm. It's pretty impressive. And I just drove it around the parking lot at CM! But the jump from gas to diesel engine (I've got a lot of experience with that) is about the same as the jump from diesel to EV IMHO.

It's so cool. I can't wait to see what you do next!

Dan
Going to have to let you take the wheel on trail somewhere ASAP!

I read a post on the Rivian forums explaining how the lack of low speed torque and control really hampers the Rivian offroad. I've seen the same thing with the Hummer EV in videos. Basically, you need low range in an EV just like you need low range in an ICE 4x4.

I've read about--and have seen the videos--Rivian's lack of slow speed crawl control. Today was the first time that I've encountered off-roading situations wherein the Rivian four motor strategy had me experiencing real challenge.

For those in the Puget Sound region, this trip was at the Reiter Pit ORV area. The trail photo below was one of many obstacles that were rough. That Jeep Rubicon handled everything with ease, being able to lock front and rear axles and, importantly, tackle obstacles with precise control.

To clear these obstacles, I had apply rapid and aggressive accelerator pedal input. Then, once the R1T made it up obstacles, the moments that followed were with an out-of-control 7000 lb. truck sorting itself out/me trying to brake and steer to regain control. The result was damage to the truck.

I wish, wish, wish that Rivian would program the Off-Road Rock Crawl setting to make the Rivian R1T and R1S perform like a Jeep. Then again, maybe that's not possible with our Quad Motor drivetrain.

Lack of Crawl Control Off-roading Leads to Battle Scars - https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/lack-of-crawl-control-off-roading-leads-to-battle-scars.16234/

In comparison to this description, my Land Cruiser is the best ever.

Question from a place of complete ignorance, couldn't that easily be overcome with adjusting pedal sensitivity/range? IE, an "crawl-mode" where a "TPS" range of 0-100% = 0-5mph?

Question from a place of complete ignorance, couldn't that easily be overcome with adjusting pedal sensitivity/range? IE, an "crawl-mode" where a "TPS" range of 0-100% = 0-5mph?
The problem is that electric motors like what's in the Rivian, and pretty much all modern EVs including my conversion, experience something called "stall." Older DC brushed motors like we had as kids or what have been around for over 100 years don't really experience it in the same way. Modern motors rely on the controller to send timed pulses at the exact right moment to control the motor speed at 400 times per second. Old "brushed" motors just rely on physical brushes that jump a gap and change polarity.

So in order to get the theoretical maximum torque from the Rivian, it needs to send these timed pulses in the right way with exactly the right power otherwise the next pulse could come too late or too early causing the motor to heat up. If the motor gets stopped hard, like when a tire contacts a vertical ledge, the pulse could burn out the coil of wire in a split second.

When you are on flat ground and enable Launch Control or whatever in your Rivian or Tesla Plaid the computer knows the properties of asphalt and what to expect so it can put down the torque. But if you are on rocks, the amount of load is going to vary all over the place and be unpredictable as the suspension moves, the truck bounces, tires slip and then grip, etc. So the computer has to reduce the power sent to the motor or risk it burning up in a big plume of smoke.

I think an eV crawler would be AMAZING, and for a trailered right, it would be the way to go.
Perhaps I should rethink my FJ40 repower....

I think an eV crawler would be AMAZING, and for a trailered right, it would be the way to go.
Perhaps I should rethink my FJ40 repower....
It really is amazing to drive. It blows away the gas engine and automatic transmission in nearly every way. I keep saying it but the EV conversion is better in every single way....except range. The way the torque modulates and is tied to your foot position is just epic.

Yesterday I went out and really pushed the truck to the limits of the battery. I climbed up about 4,700 vertical feet and did a total distance of 42 miles (21 out and 21 back). At the very top of the mountain I was at 12,150 ft elevation and my battery lowest percentage was 18%. When I made it back down into town my battery was at 30%. This included a few miles of driving on the interstate and mountain roads before getting to the trailhead. My efficiency is about 2.1 miles/kwh which is about the same as what the Rivian and Hummer EV get.

I went out with our 4x4 club and met with the nonprofit Stay the Trail and the US Forest Service Rangers. Our club sponsors Kingston Peak trail so every year we go and clean the trail of trash and complete any service projects the Forest Service has for us. This year due to tons of snow the trail was not open yet. We went and opened the gates with the rangers and cleared out some snow drifts so that the trail could be officially opened. The ranger districts are really low on staff, there is only a handful of Rangers for tens of thousands of acres of land. They need all the help that they can get and our club is dedicated to keeping the trails open. Stay the Trail is dedicated to educating new OHV users about the legal 4x4 trails and conservation. In CO going off trail is illegal and results in the closing down of 4x4 routes and other bad stuff. The mountain wildlife is very delicate especially above tree-line.

This is definitely the furthest I've driven the truck in one go and the lowest I've taken the battery out in the wilderness and the highest elevation I've reached yet. It was all uphill so I knew that at any point I could turn around and coast pretty much all the way back to civilization. I also had buddies with straps in case I needed a tow. In the end I didn't need any of these contingencies and I was able to get all the way to the peak and down the other side to the service project area and then back up and over back to where I started. I had a few nailbiting moments on the way up, but once at the peak my confidence grew.

The truck performed flawlessly as always. Not a single issue cropped up. The Rangers thought it was awesome and we met a lot of hikers who were blown away by it too.

3VNPVcv.jpg

wTdRBnU.jpg

ODNEYwd.jpg

ghvOy41.jpg

Y5hBEVW.jpg

C56ZyA8.jpg

ZcRC8mE.jpg

W3fxmOL.jpg

QGnF08n.jpg

rhJ34c8.jpg

fhZoZ4W.jpg

tVLLTDg.jpg

IV490WL.jpg

qyb9W5g.png

I will be at Ohm on the Range's State of Charge '23 again this year! There are still spots open for the conference as well as Legacy EV hands-on training. Or come out on Saturday for the "La Vida Volta" EV car show expo which is FREE and open to the public!

Check out the website soc23.com

There are going to be some amazing EV conversions including TWO DeLorean conversions, the amazing EV Supercar, a '65 Shelby Cobra (replica) and of course my EVSwap Land Cruiser!

Public EV car show will be on Saturday the 5th at 3-7pm at Golden High School, Golden, CO.

Photo from last year's event:
1Ca6mcc.jpg

Any recommendations for getting started learning about diy EV conversions? In my case, not a Cruiser but a Porsche 912e that has been sitting in my garage for 5+ years waiting for me to find time for an engine swap. Many of the online kits I looked at early on were 20K up. Given this car has the same engine as in the old VW buses (4 cyl Type4 VW) , parts and rebuild kit's are pretty cheap. It would be cool for sure, but not sure if it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom