Key Won't Turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Something real funky just happened.

Recently a black relay box has been falling down and hitting my left foot while driving. Not a big deal, I just jam it back up in there til it falls down again. Today after jamming it back up above the footwell, I grabbed my steering wheel to help pull myself back off my floorboard.

Steering wheel wasn't locked.

I thought, this is funny, so I pulled on it a little, and boy is it locked up now. No play in the steering wheel, and now my key won't turn. Never had a problem with the key turning so I don't think it's the tumblers.

And just to screw with me more, the truck is leaving the headlights on even when off, something it's never done before.

Any ideas?

Worked like a charm! Thought I was gonna break something as hard as I had to pull on that steering wheel lol.

So I'm guessing something on that relay is what's making the headlights stay on then?

Step #1 is to go to the dealer and get them to cut you a new key from the VIN. Every time I pick up a new-to-me Toyota I go to the dealer and have them cut me a new key. It's amazing how well everything works with a sharp cut key. Also, with a please and a thank you, I have yet to pay for that service. Just make sure your registration matches your driver's license.

Guessing the black box is to an aftermarket alarm, it may be connected to the headlights. Unless you have the remotes and know it works properly, an aftermarket alarm is best removed, IMO.

Step #1 is to go to the dealer and get them to cut you a new key from the VIN. Every time I pick up a new-to-me Toyota I go to the dealer and have them cut me a new key. It's amazing how well everything works with a sharp cut key. Also, with a please and a thank you, I have yet to pay for that service. Just make sure your registration matches your driver's license.

I had my dealer do that (to try to get into my glove box, still with no success), and the keys they cut didn't work in any of the locks or the ignition. The pattern looked right, but it seems that the length was too short or something.

Guessing the black box is to an aftermarket alarm, it may be connected to the headlights. Unless you have the remotes and know it works properly, an aftermarket alarm is best removed, IMO.

I had a couple of black boxes dropping on my feet from the same location (conveniently enough, it too was falling down on my feet). One was the factory keyless entry unit (alarm unit?), and the other was the factory glass break sensor. I have no need of either, so I just unplugged them. No issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom