JT outfitters wiring harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so this morning my old wiring harness went up in smoke:mad:. I needed one NOW, couldnt find crap in my town so I bought the most affordable one i could find on line, it's from JT Outfitters and had it overnight-ed to me:eek:. I know i shoulda went to coolerman but i didn't have time to wait, i am moving to Japan next month and need to get my rig on the road. So i guess my question is, Any one have expierience with this harness and what will i want to have handy before i start from scratch with this thing. Got the usual, pick light, multi-meter, solder w/iron, connectors, heat shrink and spare wire. will use the diagram off the FAQ from here. oh and beer, unfortunately i am fresh out of patience though.

Wow.

Good luck brother.

:beer:

I would suggest making a very long jumper wire for testing connections. Long enough to reach to the rear of the vehicle. Also, I have never seen their kit but a label system of some sort is nice to have.

Good luck, I'm installing a painless system myself.:cheers:

yeah i got a 8 foot jumper wire with gator clips on both ends it's worked for me so far....well maybe not hence the smoke cloud but i obviously had continuity.

recreate what hasn't burnt as you find it if you want to use any of the OEM switches

It's almost always easier to repair than to replace an entire harness.
If you're going to replace it, you need to be very detail oriented and patient.
I once had an engine fire and burned up a lot of my harness. I was still able to repair it one wire at at time in less than a day.

i will do my best, this thing was already a spliced up rats nest so who knows what was supposed to go where. I don't remember the last time i had working blinkers, or when my headlights worked all the time. just thought it was part of driving a cruiser

ok i have a wire that is confusing me, it says its power for all gauges. is the #1 position on the round plug on the back of the gauge cluster power for all gauges or a ground? and if its a ground where would i hook a power for all gauges to ?

ok i have a wire that is confusing me, it says its power for all gauges

It can talk? :fliipoff2:

FJ157 said:
is the #1 position on the round plug on the back of the gauge cluster power for all gauges or a ground?

Pretty important to get this right. You need a multimeter so you can measure the original harness and poke around the gauge cluster and figure out what is what.

Use google to search for threads. Add "site:ih8mud.com" to your queries to get the most valid info.

I did a Painfull wiriing harness many moons ago, much patience for sure, couple beer after finish working on it:beer:..

Rob

X2 on the need for a multimeter

I also used the JTO harness for it's price. It is a good harness with quality wire. I am a somewhat a novice with wiring but it went ok. Remember it is a generic harness so use a fsm or Haynes manual to check for correct wires. The only problems I had was trying to determine which type alternator I had. Also, there were no instructions for the voltage regulator. After a couple of nighttime excursions and a dead battery that was fixed.

ok i have a wire that is confusing me, it says its power for all gauges. is the #1 position on the round plug on the back of the gauge cluster power for all gauges or a ground? and if its a ground where would i hook a power for all gauges to ?

Does this help?
barrel connector lay out.jpg

barrel connector lay out mirrored.jpg

Rudi
barrel connector lay out mirrored.jpg
barrel connector lay out.jpg

i think that will help i will double check tomorrow, i dont think i am getting spark though its my new issue. nothings every easy.

ok so i wasnt getting juice at the coil when the key was at the start posistion just when the key was in the on posistion.......(gene wilder voice on) its alive its ALIVE (gene wilder voice off)

I bought the JT Outfitters wiring harness for my 74 FJ 40. The original was shot. The new harness was by Quik Wire and really nicely made. Much nicer than a similar Painless Wiring harness.
I took the opportunity to relocate the fuse box to the glove box, mounted on the left hand side wall.
Before starting, I went to a FedEx Office and copied the wiring diagram from the Toyota Manual and had it blown up to poster size so I could easily read it. That helped a lot.
Next, I studied the Quik Wire harness and tried to get really familiar with how it was laid out. Some wires were bundled in different ways than I wanted to run them. But I followed the manuals lead and started in the engine compartment.
I took my time and looked at the stock harness for ideas as to how things were run.
I did call and talk to someone at JTO when I had a question about wiring the ignition switch. He insisted that I had to use a GM column for it to work. I found another way to use the stock set up and it is still giving good service after 6 years. Also reused the original gauges, the cigarette lighter and the trouble light socket.
Take your time, do it slowly, look at the stock harness and the wiring diagrams a lot, use a lot of heat shrink tape and it will work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom