Is There Low Beam Wire Harness Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a pages of posts regarding the poor light output 9006 bulbs offer on our trucks and the options to get higher quality light, from HIR 9011 bulbs to HID and 7" round conversions. I'm not here to talk about that.

I know there are wire harness upgrade kits for 80 land cruisers send direct power from battery to bulbs and that improves the low beam output. Both 80 and 100 uses the same bulb type for low and high. Perhaps the wiring are similar.

Does someone make something similar for the Hundy? Are 100 headlight wiring similar to the 80's quality and circuits? Does the 100 have issues with wiring that makes the 9006 objectively worst than other cars?

I installed a high beam 65W bulb (HB3) into the low beam by simply cutting off the two platic tabs inside the bulb wire connector that prevents it from being mounted into a HB4 wire plug. Additionally, you will need a larger O-ring for the HB3 to rest into HB4 opening in bulb housing. Harbor freight O-ring kit has the corret size O-ring. I also did a thread about this mod.

not that I know of.
more than likely.
no.

I've not seen overheated headlight wires in the LC, LX is a different story, they're always too brown.
If you mean something like the Slee harness for 80's, then I've not seen it.
I've made 100s of headlight harnesses for the 100. No one has ever asked for just an upgrade. It would be expensive and excessive except for maybe the LX.
I'd swap my low beams in a LX to an external relay If I had one(LX)
Output is so bad anyway on Lexus that everyone upgrades of just deals with it. DOn't take that the wrong way, stock wire is good for stock bulbs. There's just an external or user error that causes the fault.

what they (slee) are doing is upsizing the wire from the battery to the 9006 connector in the car, supplying a ground in a shorter length.

In older cars I've seen this wire mod help and I did it on a couple mk3 Supras with 80's wiring. However, even then I've only seen it take poor lights up to mediocre best case. You still just have old halogen lights with [by today's standards] poor reflectors/projectors.

Conversely, you can get an ENORMOUS improvement out of HID or LED retrofits. Those aren't as cheap as a DIY wiring upgrade, but they outperform by miles. I know that's not what you want to talk about, but a primary reason why wiring upgrades aren't discussed is because even in rather extreme cases that improvement is dwarfed by HIDs/LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom