In the Market for a Warn Winch, Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look for a used M8000 and swap out the motor for the 9.5XP motor. I bet for less than $800 you'd have it done. I swapped a new 9.5XP motor onto my M8274 and upgraded to a contactor and only have $1000 in it. The other day I think I saw some 3/8" SK-75 rope on Pirate for cheap so you could get synthetic line and save some weight too.

There's more than one way to get this done and save you some $$.

@onlyonedr Normally I would probably consider doing what you have listed but this being my first winch and at that price, I would rather spend a couple hundred more and get a new, in-the-box winch that I don't have to do anything with. I can see myself going your route and getting over my head fairly quick by spending more money and getting something that doesn't necessarily work right.

Thanks for presenting the option though.

And if you're going synthetic line I highly recommend you check out, if you want to be done with it for a long time, Master Pull
Superline XD. It has an outer sheath that does everything they say...real world. I've had Amstel Blue fail...which led me to the MP S-XD. Yeah it costs 2-3X more but no rinsing/washing and more importantly it hasn't let me down when I've need it most...

Or just stay with steel cable IMHO.

@spressomon I just looked up the cost on those lines. Yikes! That will be one of those "down the road" upgrades. It's good to know about that product when it's time to replace the stock line mine will come with.

I just ordered the Warn 89611 ZEON 10-S from Amazon (Boyd Performance Diesel). Warn is offering a $100 rebate right now through the end of March. Plus, no tax or shipping if you buy your winch out of state. I think that's the best price I'm going to get for that winch at this time.

I'll post some pics of it when I get it.

Stoked. Look what came in the mail today.
full

full

nice!
I replaced my steel cable with the Warn Spydura and it has been a great rope. The weight savings and safety are a big plus...also big heavy fairlead goes away with synthetic.
You may consider a 6 to 10' sleeve over the rope. It keeps clag out when driving and is nice when winching over rocks, etc.

@Mad Matt I would like to say 'yes' but to be honest, I haven't really got a chance to put it through it's paces yet. The build quality is very nice. Installation was pretty straight forward. Once I get a real chance to try it out, I'll make sure to report my experience here. I have a 4-night trip to Death Valley this coming October. I hope (not) to have to use it then.

As a owner of 2 Warn XD9000i winches I can tell you that anything below 9000 lbs is not going to make you happy with a 100 series LC. You need a minimum of a 9000 lb winch and a 10000 would be a lot better. I have mine mounted on a 40 and a Silverado Z71 and they are sufficient. Always buy higher than you thnk that you will need. You can buy accessories later. Pay for what you really need in a winch now and just pick up a few shackles to get by with until you have the money to buy the rest. Resist the urge to buy cheap winch accessories. Spend the money once on quality and be done. You and your vehicle's safety depend on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom