Old warn winch identification (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_4278.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4281.jpeg
IMG_4280.jpeg
IMG_4278.jpeg
Hi all
Would anyone be able to identify this old warn winch please?
It has 6301 and 38231 stamped into it but I can find no models that relate to these numbers so assume they are serial numbers.
Many thanks in advance.

IMG_4279.jpeg

That is a Belleview winch. Cable-operated brake. Not particularly useful or valuable unless you want a period-correct piece for a restoration. I had one sitting around for years that I got for free; finally sold it for $75 a couple of years back. Warn bought the company, put their name on the winches, and then continued developing the design into the deservedly-famous Model 8274.

The 5687 is a really well made winch. Belleview was a machine shop. They designed and built it for Warn. Machinists designed the 5687.

When Warn absorbed Belleview their #1 priority was lowering the cost to manufacture the winch and add some features. The 5687 became the 6014 and then the 8200. The 8200 is functionally the same as the 8274.

The 8274 was the next evolution of the 8200. The 8274 is a much cheaper winch to make. The reason why the 8274 housing splits horizontally like it does- In what seems like really stupid engineering- The reason is because they could only afford a small die casting machine and making the housing like that made it possible to die cast them without huge capital investment in a big die casting press. Accountants designed the 8274 (and all subsequent winches).

^^^
Accountants designed the 8274 (and all subsequent winches).

Seems like they have done a good job. Warns are great winches.

I forgot to mention the 5687/6014/8200 winches were sand cast, not die cast. The sand castings are substantial. Die castings are not bad, but they are only used for mass production. Die casting allows very thin casting sections and eliminates most of the machining sand castings can require.

Sand castings are craftsmanship while die casting is soulless mass production.

^^^
Accountants designed the 8274 (and all subsequent winches).

Seems like they have done a good job. Warns are great winches.

I don't mean to crap on the newer winches. I was giving reasons to elevate the early stuff. Give a different perspective. Folks crap on the early winches because they lack some utility/functions of the newer winches.

What if there were parts available to take these early, higher quality winches to the same functionality as a modern winch without sacrificing quality?

What if there were parts available to take these early, higher quality winches to the same functionality as a modern winch without sacrificing quality?

That is the reason for my comments - lack of parts available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom