How much would you pay for a 2UZ swap 'kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
A while back, a good friend of mine swapped an LS1 into his e36 M3 with the help of this kit-

Vorshlag E36 LS1 - Complete Stage 0 Kit - Vorshlag LLC

After driving around my 2UZ swapped 40 (see link in sig) for almost a year now, and putting over 2,000 miles on it, I am extremely satisfied with the driveability, reliability, and smoothness of the setup. I got countless responses and comments on my build thread about that engine swap, and how many people desire it.

The 2UZs are plentiful, as they were in Tundra's, Sequoia's, 4Runners, GX470's, LX470s, and maybe a couple others. The 4 spd autos are also plentiful.

I have been contemplating putting 'kits' together for someone that wants this setup in their 60 or 80. The reason I'm leaning toward the 60 and 80, and not the 40, is because the wide range of differences and modifications on 40's. It would be extremely difficult to accommodate everyone.

This kit would contain:

ECU
Engine harness that's already gone through with minimal connections for power, ground, and accessories
Engine mounts
Transmission X member
Headers
Driveshafts
Radiator hoses
A/C lines ready to bolt up to your evap/condenser
Shifter/linkage
Intake tube with OEM Toyota bolt-in air box
Throttle/likage (depending on year desired)
INSTRUCTIONS

*Optional
Evap equipment
Exhaust kit w/muffler, cat, and o2 bungs, and o2 sensors

You would have to supply the engine and transmission. I would want this to be as simple and painless as possible, and leave the guesswork out of it. The engine mounts can either be bolted in or weld in (we will have both options).

So the big question is-

What would you pay? What else should be in the kit? What shouldn't?
If there's enough interest, and the price point makes sens, I'll move forward with it.

Thanks

20151020_182226_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

I like where this is going. Would there / could there be a manual option? Have people done manual swaps to their 2uz's? Well I'm gonna go on a search but I like the idea of a Toyota v8 option instead of a GM.

I think this is a good idea as well. Though I have a H55F 5 speed in my FJ60 and I would rather keep the manual.

Skniper beat me to it. I had the same question about the transfer-case.

Why include driveshafts in the kit? This revolves around the t-case scenario, but also the suspension any said LC would have under it.

Transfer case would come from a 100 series, just like my 40. Pass side front and rear diff dropdrop.

I would include drive shafts because of the different flanges and possibly different locations.

easiest solution is to run 100 series trans/transfer case, mating an h55f would be ideal but expensive r&d.

I think your kit is possibly too comprehensive lol...you've only done a 2uz in your 40 right? so are your plans to build a 60 2uz then produce the required parts? I think a "swap kit" like your talking about is worth $2k especially if your including driveshafts.

What would be the ideal gauge setup?

I have a 2uzfe, 100 series trans, transfer case, ecu, transponder, wiring all sitting in a storage unit waiting for a rig......just can't bring myself to make my 60 automatic....NOW h151f would be awesome!!!!

I think the cut down harness is the big thing people want. I think if you build a kit with motor mounts, cut down harness/ecu, crossmember that would be a good setup for someone to start a swap on their rig, and piece together everything else.

Now that I think about it I priced it pretty cheap, you should charge more like $2800-$3000, not sure what headers you would use, and would this be using a 62 shifter? I guess you could do a 60 and a 62 kit, 60 would have the auto pedal bucket and 62 shifter included perhaps? or maybe a lokar option?

Sorry for the multiple posts....i've pondered the same thing for years now so I had a lot of ideas/questions floating around in my mind, I commend you for taking serious interest in production of this kind of kit. It would be very cool to see these become simpler to install.

Interested in any viable options to keep this thing on the road. I love my 2F in the sense that it's been great to learn how to wrench on, is straight forward and classic. But it's like my kids, you get some good days here and there but most of the time I'm convinced they're trying to send me to the nuthouse.

I think it's a good idea. I know I'm looking to swap in a v8 in my 62 in the future.

I have no clue about pricing though. Haven't done enough research to figure out these things.

Eventually I will go V8 and it would be nice to have a kit to use a 2UZ power plant also with my H55 and make it straight forward. I haven't a clue as to a fair price point however. But I do know I better start a separate savings account for the project.

IMHO AC stuff as well as drivelines you can let alone to the owner to do it locally .. believe RAD hoses too .. that would be easy to find and easy to source.

I'm in another vote for manual transmision option in your " kit "

X2 or x3 on keeping my Yota 5 speed with future V8 upgrade.

I'm on the verge of putting a 2uz/h151 5 speed into a 45lv and would pay $600 +/- for a plug and play harness/ecu. Im looking at Spitronics for that but would surely prefer supporting you in this....

reviving this thread. I'd probably pay $3-5k for a kit to get a 2uz with a manual into a 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom