How much should I pay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. Getting a ton of hate on this thread, not to sure why. My plan is the same SOA, lockers, and armor. Not much that can change

Naw hatin' . . .it's your interpretation...
Post 1,3 and 10 by you have different directions. And like was said, hard sayin' not knowin' - pics, miles et cetera.
Saving it from the slow rot is great....
Did you buy it?

I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy yet, I work everyday until 7:30 and I feel it to late at that point. And I don't feel like it's right going on Monday because it's Presidents' Day, so wednesday is the plan currently because I don't have work. Can anyone give me an exact list or compile a list of what to look for? I know rear C channels and spring hangers. But what else?

Intact glass, solid floorboards under driver left foot, passenger right foot, roof gutters, mileage, gas cap? No openings in engine bay- (radiator, air cleaner oilcap,) transmission and transfer operable, front hubs lock unlock ok, check front steering and axle ball ends.
Start with $500 if they 'don't know what they have' and based on quality of conditions, offer more?

Naw hatin' . . .it's your interpretation...
Post 1,3 and 10 by you have different directions. And like was said, hard sayin' not knowin' - pics, miles et cetera.
Saving it from the slow rot is great....
Did you buy it?

Sorry if it seems like I keep changing my mind on this. Let me clarify a little, overall I am looking for a cheap, yet good platform to learn on. I want to do SOA, lockers, and armor. While doing so fix it up and maybe make it a little resto mod ish as I was saying. By that I mean dynamat, rewire the stereo and upgrade it, new seats or CCOT covers, center console, headlight upgrade, maybe learn to make a custom grill like schraff (sorry if I botched the name, can remember currently), rebuild motor, h55f, consider farther down the road coilovers,(I know it's very hard but not writing it off right now), and the list goes on and on with little things. Most importantly I want to do this all on my own, so I can really learn how to work on cars. I have a decent knowledge currently, but I want to improve it. Also while making an awesome rig to go camping, fishing, hunting, and whatever else comes my way. This has always been my plan in my head, looking back through my thread I realize what you mean by me appearing to change my mind and I apologize for the confusion, that was definitely my bad. Hopefully this clears the air lol

Intact glass, solid floorboards under driver left foot, passenger right foot, roof gutters, mileage, gas cap? No openings in engine bay- (radiator, air cleaner oilcap,) transmission and transfer operable, front hubs lock unlock ok, check front steering and axle ball ends.
Start with $500 if they 'don't know what they have' and based on quality of conditions, offer more?

So for the floorboards, can I see what I need to from underneath the truck? Or do I have to pull up the carpet to inspect?

So for the floorboards, can I see what I need to from underneath the truck? Or do I have to pull up the carpet to inspect?

Ideally you would unscrew the door threshold / sill and pull up carpet, also could remove interior side kick panel to see metal join to floor... From underneath, inside of wheelwell looking at exterior side of footwell helps, but I'm saying the key is whether rust has hidden away in there because the roof gutters are dry, allowing water into the seam, also can migrate along windshield edges. If the weather stripping is brittle and cracked, can be hiding more serious rust, but you are in a pretty dry environment... S. Utah? I think you already got it figured out where the major rust is, rear wheelwell doglegs and the frame c channels.

Sorry if it seems like I keep changing my mind on this. Let me clarify a little, overall I am looking for a cheap, yet good platform to learn on. I want to do SOA, lockers, and armor. While doing so fix it up and maybe make it a little resto mod ish as I was saying. By that I mean dynamat, rewire the stereo and upgrade it, new seats or CCOT covers, center console, headlight upgrade, maybe learn to make a custom grill like schraff (sorry if I botched the name, can remember currently), rebuild motor, h55f, consider farther down the road coilovers,(I know it's very hard but not writing it off right now), and the list goes on and on with little things. Most importantly I want to do this all on my own, so I can really learn how to work on cars. I have a decent knowledge currently, but I want to improve it. Also while making an awesome rig to go camping, fishing, hunting, and whatever else comes my way. This has always been my plan in my head, looking back through my thread I realize what you mean by me appearing to change my mind and I apologize for the confusion, that was definitely my bad. Hopefully this clears the air lol
I'm impressed with your imagination. It's awesome that you have such a strong interest in a 60. As others have stated, the most important thing is to get a good base to start with. And don't worry about being all over the board with your wish list. Check out my sons 60 (@mcguirejohnson ). He's on his 3rd suspension (2" lift, shackle reversal & Now a SOA) and he just turned 20. I've let him go hog wild with it and he's learned a ton. He could advise you on what not to do as well. The great thing is all this experience/interest is what's led him into his second year as a Mechanical Engineering student at Texas Tech. Good luck and don't stop asking questions.

I'm impressed with your imagination. It's awesome that you have such a strong interest in a 60. As others have stated, the most important thing is to get a good base to start with. And don't worry about being all over the board with your wish list. Check out my sons 60 (@mcguirejohnson ). He's on his 3rd suspension (2" lift, shackle reversal & Now a SOA) and he just turned 20. I've let him go hog wild with it and he's learned a ton. He could advise you on what not to do as well. The great thing is all this experience/interest is what's led him into his second year as a Mechanical Engineering student at Texas Tech. Good luck and don't stop asking questions.
Also, SOA is still a decent road truck. MJ has taken his to California, Colorado and several other road trips. Might want to consider some BMW (or other brand) seats though :)

I'm looking to go into a field around cars when I'm older. Not sure which one but they are my passion and what I love and my belief is if you do what you love it's not a job. That's awesome about your son!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Too far gone? I was trying to talk to the owner but he wasn't there, it hasn't been registered since 02. Keep in mind I am looking for a serious project to test my abilities and for a learning experience. I think this would be good

I saw go for it. No clue on price. $1000?

Some surface rust, but the gutters don't look bad. How does the frame look?

Well I was technically trespassing so I couldn't stay for too long but the frame honestly is pretty good. I'm sure the rear cargo area is rusty but that's what I'm looking for. I plan on going into something car related when I'm older and this would be investing in my future. I'm just going to keep going by every so often till he comes out and then we could talk price. Would you pay 1k for it?

I would definitely snag it for $1K if everything is there. Sounds like you're not afraid of a little rust. hopefully all the parts there and with a little luck the motor will be good.

I would definitely snag it for $1K if everything is there. Sounds like you're not afraid of a little rust. hopefully all the parts there and with a little luck the motor will be good.
Yeah. Rust does scare me, but it's a project that could take me a couple years to finish and I wouldn't care. I just have to time it right and talk to the owner at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom