Hand crank start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is handy for adjusting valves too.

That would be nice.

On one FJ60 for sale I was looking at, they had the plug for a block heater coming out of that hole, with a grommet around the hole. It had me excited at first, thinking that maybe they had swapped to a diesel, but it was just another 2F. I am sure the block heater was aftermarket, but it looked clean enough to be an OE option.

There is a certain technique, and grip (don't wrap your thumbs around the handle) and the handles will bend if you're not careful.
QUOTE]

And don't ever lock your elbows. ;) working to the beginning of the compression stroke helps.

for anyone who's ever kick started a motorcycle, it's the same theory, you're just using your arms instead of leg.

What part of that sounds made up?

The part where you say the handle will disengage if the motor backfires.. it is designed to disengage when the motor fires correctly... the opposite is true if it backfires... the crank nut is designed in such a way that if it backfires it doesn't disengage... hence be careful when trying to start one using a crank handle in case it backfires...

I was invited to tour the Toyota Museum Saturday. On display was this near perfect 1961 FJ25. In the back was the hand crank, and you could see the hole and flywheel nut. Pretty cool feature.

Doug
P1000063.jpg
P1000080.jpg
P1000079.jpg

The part where you say the handle will disengage if the motor backfires.. it is designed to disengage when the motor fires correctly... the opposite is true if it backfires... the crank nut is designed in such a way that if it backfires it doesn't disengage... hence be careful when trying to start one using a crank handle in case it backfires...

Ah yeah my bad, youre right. A backfire would keep the handle engaged, duh

Same principle applies to turning a prop on a plane. lay finger tips on edge in case it back kicks. never use thumb.

BTW, this idea would be a life saver if in a remote region where the starter does not engage. Now, I wonder how much pressure would be required to turn over a 3b ?

I think a flywheel that is spun up with a long rope and engaged with a frontal clutch could be enough to start a 3b if hand cranking would not work. Next idea, one I used on aircraft, Hydralic pump/hand pump/accumulator. More complex but amazing amount of torqe and rpms.

A friend 'jump started' his truck using a rope wound around a rear brake drum and running like hell while pulling on it. It worked, but we still razz him about running the battery down like that.

Reviving this old thread just because I think it's neat.

The 3b's have the crank start hole. But there is no way in hell you could hand crank it over.

There's a video
On here somewhere of guys starting a semi type rig in Africa by spinning the rear wheel with it jacked up and popping the clutch. I think you could absolutely do that with a 3b. Drain the oil, heat it up, put it back. How to warm cylinder without glow? I don't know. If there's a way I bet someone does it somewhere.
The advantage is you have inertia, gearing, and the clutch on your side.

Well, if you're ever taking the crank nut off, that hole is handy for a half inch extension from the air impact. And you could probably start the truck with an impact gun too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom