Ham radio licensees listen up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New to HAM

KI6ELZ here

So I finally got my Amateur radio license – Basic Technician
I have a pair of ancient iCom IC-2iA hand held radios that work great, and a Bearcat bc560 scanner.

As a volunteer NERT (neighborhood emergency response team) member I plan on getting involved with the NERT HAM communications team here in SF. My unlicensed radio was the star of my group at the City wide disaster drill this past April. My group had one licensed ham but he had no radio so I let him use mine to communicate all of our incidents to the Fire Dept command center.

I'd forgotten about this thread.
I received my technician license a few months back. My call sign is KI6DKA. It took me a while to remember it. Used to pause between the KI6 and the rest.
Anyway, I'm glad to see so many other hams in Mud. Hams are a great resource and provide an incredible service to our communities.

Regards

Alvaro

Pskhaat said:
Just Tech myself, but wanna get CW someday.

Scott,

What's your call sign

Alvaro

Ham radio

Hey Paradice did I miss or rather mess something up Call Sign KE6HEH 2m 440 220 10 M So Calif.Rubiconcruiser my mud name. Thanks.

Vonzipper said:
I'm a total noob when it comes to Ham, However, I did pass my test....:beer:

Same goes for me. KD5WYY from Lafayette,LA
my dad is a real ham "geek" (not ment to be offensive) and we have hams in all of our cars, i got my license to comunicate with them.

When and if i get a LC i will probly put a ham in it

N0UP, Extra in Nebraska.
1974 FJ40 in a whole lot of pieces, soon to be many more.
Hopefuly drivable with radios next year.

Steve

antennas

Anyone built any nifty mobile antennas? im considering building a whip.. I would like to hear from anyone who has already done so...

jon

homebuilt antenna

i was thinking more along the lines of a homebuilt antenna, but good link anyhow.
.. ive seen a few plans here and there for mobile HF antennas and was wondering if anyone here has attempted at building one...

My Kenwood setup in the truck.

ham1.jpg

ham2.jpg

mobi-arc said:
My Kenwood setup in the truck.

ham1.jpg

ham2.jpg

Nice! I like it! Now if I add a little tablet PC for my mapping I will be DONE!

Just Found Thread

Hi I'm VE3UOD..

I use a Kenwood TS-731 VHF / UHF rig in my Cruiser coupled to a glass mounted antenna (so I had no holes to drill into the Cruiser or coaxial cables to run through the door jams etc).

I've been a Ham Radio operator since the early 1990's..working all HF, VHF & UHF bands..
I use my radios on a daily basis to communicate with other Hams that are mobile or just sitting at home. Great fun..

For those that are interested this site http://www.rigpix.com/index.shtml will show you pictures of new and old rigs that may be of some use to you.. After all you never know when you are going to stumble upon an older rig for sale that works just fine..That will look good in your Cruiser..

Last edited:
Been into radio and electronics all my life

But just got the ham license about 3-4 years ago. Tech, no-code (too lazy). I keep telling myself I'll learn the code and get the general license because I really do like the HF bands much better than the VHF/UHF stuff, but I'm hoping the FCC will just drop the code requirement altogether.

2M on the trail is SO much better than CB at it's best. No comparison. If you're on the fence about this, go with the 2m gear.

Kenwood THF-6A tri-band HT and a pair of hacked 2M Yaesu FT 2500M's. Mag-mount Wilsom 2M antenna.

KG6OWN, Los Angeles

Dana

ham radio heard here!

Kd4cvr in Gainesville, GA tech licensed in '91 same year as the battle cruser. (called the battle crusier due to its encounters of swapping insurance info with 5 other road warriors and came out the true victor! but it will not win a beauty contest!) Anyway I am new to this fourm and have only a 2m sitting on the console. slight alt. whine. Always looking for used parts to improve the cruiser's looks.
DALE

Vonzipper said:
I'm a total noob when it comes to Ham, However, I did pass my test....:beer:

I think that describes me as well. My dad is the Ham guru of the family. Ham radios are to him what Cruiser are to me.
My call sign is WD5GJH
Dad's is N5XYO...he just needs a cruiser to put one in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom