Ham radio licensees listen up! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my ticket in the mail today!! Yeasu FT-60R HT for now Looking at a dual band for the 80 as well.
KC0ZAG
Denver,Co

Congrats Dan !

My hat is off to Rising Sun's entire group of newly licensed hams. Excellent example for other clubs to follow.

Cheers, R -

Why dont you ask the board controllers of the mud board to set up a ham radio forum..All the board hams can be in one area instead of all over the board.

KC0ZAC

I'm a newb shopping for a radio. The Yaesu 7800 is the front runner at the moment. Its the antenna I'm puzzling over. I know the best route is to punch a hole in the center of the roof of my FJ60. I'm not totally opposed to that but I don't want the antenna to be frequently busted by low hanging tree branches. I'm looking for a dual band antenna. Is it better to go with a shorter 1/4 wave roof mounted arrangement, or a side/front bumper mount 5/8 wave longer antenna? ALso, I'm frequently carrying gear on the roof like bilkes, kayaks and other junk. The permanant mount just seems like too big a commitment at this point. Maybe a gutter clamp?

KC0ZAC

I'm a newb shopping for a radio. The Yaesu 7800 is the front runner at the moment. Its the antenna I'm puzzling over. I know the best route is to punch a hole in the center of the roof of my FJ60. I'm not totally opposed to that but I don't want the antenna to be frequently busted by low hanging tree branches. I'm looking for a dual band antenna. Is it better to go with a shorter 1/4 wave roof mounted arrangement, or a side/front bumper mount 5/8 wave longer antenna? ALso, I'm frequently carrying gear on the roof like bilkes, kayaks and other junk. The permanant mount just seems like too big a commitment at this point. Maybe a gutter clamp?

60wag-I am using a lip mount at the suggestion of Paradise Cruiser. It works great and fulfills all of your requirements. It leaves your roof completely free. I'll get some pics after work today if you like. It puts the antenna on the side of the rear hatch, so it's as high as possible and off the roof itself. I would not drill a hole, it just isn't needed.

You are looking at a dual band radio, so finding a 5/8 wave (on 2 meter) dual band antenna is difficult or impossible. I have a 50 inch 5/8 antenna for on the road, and a shorty flexy dual band 1/4 wave for trails.

KI6CXS

I saw your post in another thread about the short flexy antenna for trail use. I like it. I also like the lip mount clamp on thing. That's where I'll start and then maybe add a taller antenna for road and Moab use.

I notice some people add the fat braided RF ground strap between the antenna base and the roof of the truck. Maybe it falls under the "bonding" approach of tying everything together. Is it worth the trouble?

TIA

thanks for all the support Ron and others.. what a cool hobby. Rest of you get on it- the test was way easy...

and I'm officially leaning back towards the FT8800r now.. I just need to decide & buy one so I can quit thinking about it... :rolleyes:

KCOZAF (I finished the test before Convert)

KD5FGA. TM-D700A mounted in the 74 FJ40.

Working on a General upgrade to my ticket.

I'm studying for my Technician "no code" ticket and will probably take the test in January. I have a background in General Aviation so most of it is no trouble, other than the ham-specific electronics and that "antique" jargon ;) I'm not so interested in yakking or trail communications, but I would like to be able to use my local repeater group for emergency communications when the cell coverage is poor. I guess I can email the guy that runs it, but maybe someone can answer a couple of questions:

How well does this system work in the wilds of North Idaho or Montana (assuming I'm not buried deep down in a steep valley?

Is such a private repeater system worth the US$50 annual fee? Here's the coverage map:

http://www.ak2o.org/srg/coverage.html

I'm also very intrigued by the digital possibilites of Ham Radio, and I want to be able to carry a TinyTrack on my dirt bike rides away from camp so my wife will be able to access my track data at home via Internet APRS. That way if I don't or can't report in, she will be able to see if I am in trouble and can send the troops to my exact location. The price is right (US$108 including a gps WAAS antenna). Can anyone comment on how well these mini transmitters work?

http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/tt3plus.php

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

I notice some people add the fat braided RF ground strap between the antenna base and the roof of the truck. Maybe it falls under the "bonding" approach of tying everything together. Is it worth the trouble?

TIA

I don't know if it's worth the trouble on 2 m or not. I did it and a local radio guy said it was well done, but it might have been just as good without. I bought the braided grounding strap from AES, and made my own connectors with copper sheet, and soldered the strap to the copper. FOr the lip mount, I grounded the antenna mount to the hatch, the hatch to the hinge and a strap that crosses the hatch to body interface. If I get ambitious, or run out of projects, I'm going to apply the same treatment and ground the body to the frame and the body and frame to the engine. Then if I ever pass the General exam (book = BORING), I'll be ready to do a fancy HF install.

I do know, that for lower frequencies above 10 meters, it becomes progressively important to have better grounding.

John -

I would like to be able to use my local repeater group for emergency communications when the cell coverage is poor.

How well does this system work in the wilds of North Idaho or Montana (assuming I'm not buried deep down in a steep valley?

Depends entirely on the repeater locations/coverage, and the local terrain.

Is such a private repeater system worth the US$50 annual fee?

There are many open, and private systems such as this one scattered throughout the western states. The best bet is to get out on the trail and experiment with the repeaters in your specific area. Coverage is often better than you might expect with these systems, but there are far too many variables to predict without actually getting out there and trying it yourself.

Joining clubs to help support private systems in as many different locales as we typically have events and run trails is problematic and not very cost effective. However doing so in your own home area can provide valuable support (to the people who pay for it, as well as yourself) if you feel a specific system may be of value to you.

Can anyone comment on how well these mini [TinyTrack] transmitters work?

The TinyTrack, and other similar devices are not actually transmitters. They are formally known as Terminal Node Controllers (TNCs) and function in a digital radio system in the same manner that a modem functions in a computer, converting a GPS data stream into a packet data format that a radio can transmit over the air.

In practice, you plug your GPS into one end to provide tracking data, and plug the device in turn into your transmitter (or hand-held). They are as accurate as your GPS, and effective as your radio. The TT is popular with hikers, and are used on many trail rigs - especially in search-and-rescue operations - for the very reasons you stated.

HTH... Cheers, R -

Ron,

I was at Frenchman's Lake (east side of the Sierra) this past weekend and decided to try some repeaters. I tried Diablo, El Dorado and Yuba. I really wasn't expecting to be able to listen to any of them nor, being able to succesfully hit the repeater. And none did but the Yuba repeater. It was vey cool to be able to do this. There's alot of ground between that repeater and Frenchman's Lake, plus a whole mountain range. Very cool.

Regards

Alvaro

The TinyTrack, and other similar devices are not actually transmitters. They are formally known as Terminal Node Controllers (TNCs) and function in a digital radio system in the same manner that a modem functions in a computer, converting a GPS data stream into a packet data format that a radio can transmit over the air.

In practice, you plug your GPS into one end to provide tracking data, and plug the device in turn into your transmitter (or hand-held). They are as accurate as your GPS, and effective as your radio. The TT is popular with hikers, and are used on many trail rigs - especially in search-and-rescue operations - for the very reasons you stated.

Thanks very much for all the info. I was confusing the TinyTrak with the Micro-trak 300, which is a little cheaper at US$95, but it comes as a kit and does not include the gps attachment. It is indeed a self contained "turn on and drop in your backpack" 300 mw transmitter, assuming it's plugged into a gps for data. That is really what I want, so I don't have to bring a 2 meter handset along on every ride.

http://www.byonics.com/microtrak300/

I understand that a powerful mobile radio, rather than a handheld, would be much better for using repeaters in the boonies and for short range simplex to another 4x4. Got any links to an online "Beginners Guide On How To Choose A Radio"?

Thanks again.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Ham Radio Licensing ALERT

The long awaited decision has come:

The FCC has dropped the morse code (CW) requirement across the board for ham radio licencing in the U.S.

This may have significant impact on operating privleges for current Technician class license holders. Effective date, and other details to follow as they become available.

Alvaro -

>> Very cool.

Yes it is ;) I would like to get more detail from you... more on this after the holidays.

John -

>> Got any links to an online "Beginners Guide On How To Choose A Radio"?

None that I am aware of. Just takes a lot of reading... many variables here, and not a simple choice because the practical application of communications is different for everyone.

Cheers, R -

Last edited:

The FCC has dropped the morse code (CW) requirement across the board for ham radio licencing in the U.S.

Cheers, R -

Very Cool-What does that mean in terms of the General exam? I'm slowly plowing through the material, but if I could challenge the test, and forget the code, I could put that effort in overdrive.

Thanks for the update, Ron.

Funny, when I was struggling years ago to get my code licenses, I hated the CW thing and thought they should drop it. Now that I have had mine for many moons, I feel it is a shame and am severely disappointed that the hobby has dumbed itself down in such a manner. :rolleyes:

It is most likely to keep the band plans filled with hams, as the ranks are thinning. It is not such a cool feat to talk with someone in Kamaroon anymore now that the internet can do that with the press of a key.

For those of you who want to get up onto the HF bands, the gate is now open for you. The tests are not that hard, unless they dumbed those down, too. :D

I do highly recommend getting higher privledges, check out all the study guides available. If you can pas the initial test, it is just a little bit more studying/memorization.

Good luck.

Jim, KD4CNK

Is there a place online to get the question pool for licenses? I had a tech license but it expired on me. Need to retake the test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom