HAM radio information thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update: CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

First Tuesday of the month on the MARC repeater system at 8:00 pm or immediately after the MARC Net if they run over. Feel free to check in at 7:30 for the MARC net. See below for link to frequencies.

I will have a x-band repeater set up for those in the Springs wtih 2m only radios : For those with 2m only use frequency 145.500 Mhz. and I will have a cross band repeat set up to the MARC repeater in the Springs.

Here is some general HAM radio information for those wanting to learn more about what it is all about. I got these from Wes at MARC.

Top-notch, impressive professional new video on Amateur Radio and RF applications/opportunities around the world. Good emphasis on Amateur Radio EmComm applications. Recommend every ham bookmark this video for future use in promotion of Amateur Radio. It's available in a "Full" and "Condensed" versions depending upon the presentation audience and venue.

Discovering Amateur Radio
Written & Narrated by K1AN
www.RadioQRV.com

Discovering Amateur Radio - Full Version
World Genesis Foundation
YouTube Video, runtime 32:14
Amateur Radio - Full Version

Discovering Amateur Radio Condensed Version
YouTube Video, runtime 19:45
Amateur Radio - Condensed Version

I mined some old threads and summarized a lot of my own research below.

The American Radio Relay League is the national association for Amateur Radio in the USA

American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO

For test locations:

Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

Self test study guide

No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Audio Review

2010 - 2014 US Technician Class Amateur Radio Exam Audio Review

On line practice tests

QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams
eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams

A link to radio information with more links

Ham Radio equipment

Great mobile application website

KØBG.COM

4 wheeling and HAM radio
4x4 Ham

Here is a list of link to repeaters and Nets (HAM radio regular schedule chat sessions). By tuning in at these times you have a greater chance of hearing traffic and a good way to learn protocol.

Comprehensive list of Colorado Repeaters

View attachment channel-listings.pdf

Here is a link to Pike Peak FM association, one of their repeaters is on top of Pikes Peak

On the left side bar click on Regular nets to find times and frequencies.

Pikes Peak FM Association Inc.

Colorado Repeater Association list of weekly nets

CRA: Special Interest Nets

repeater and system list

CRA: Repeater and System List

Mountain Amateur Radio Club (MARC) , Tue. night nets 7:30 and good network. I was in the Mt. Antero area, near tree line and hit the Badger Mountain repeater and talked with someone in Lake George several years ago. Could have talked to the Springs just as easily.
Mountain Amateur Radio Club General Information
Tue. night net 7:30 pm
Mountain Amateur Radio Club General Information

Cheyenne Mountain repeater Group (CMRG)
Cheyenne Mountain Repeater Group

Colorado Connection, linked repeaters statewide, has three different weekly nets

Colorado Connection - Thursday Night Net

The Colorado Connection Repeater Sites

The Colorado Connection Repeater Sites

2 meter net for Colorado QRP Club. These guys try to get long distance contacts with low power. Scroll down near the bottom for the Colorado Springs frequency

Colorado QRP Club Events, Meetings and Nets

2 meter band plan, shows what type of communications occurs at different frequencies within the 2 m band

2M Frequencies

El Paso County public service frequencies
El Paso County, Colorado (CO) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

El Paso County Races site, seems to be down right now
http://shr.elpasoco.com/Law+Enforce...ices+Division/Special+Communications+Unit.htm

Wilderness Protocol

Wilderness Protocol and LiTZ (long tone zero))

Utah repeaters

Repeater List for Utah

http://www.ecso.com/sdarc/index.html

New Mexico mega link - similar to Colorado Connection but more extensive

NM5ML

General repeater guidelines with some net information, from Wes of MARC:

Leave breaks between transmissions (a second or so) so anybody with emergency or priority traffic can get it if they need to. We encourage people who appreciate and use the repeater system on a regular basis to support the club and help pay the costs associated with operating and maintaining the system. Appropriate and courteous language as we have families listening, proper ID by stations at least once every ten minutes and at end of conversation; net must be continuous, not on for a while, then
off for a while, then back on; must have an announced start with a "prologue" that lets others listening know what the net is and who is involved and a closing statement when the net is concluded and the system returned to "normal" operation. This is all standard net protocol on any public system.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I will be out of town for the first saturday but able to make the first. will that work?

Great list of links!
I programmed a bunch of 2M repeaters from around the state a few weeks ago. Wondering if there's interest in the club on getting a common list of repeaters on our radios.

I was talking to somebody from Golden the other day on the way home from work via one of the linked repeaters.

I will be out of town for the first saturday but able to make the first. will that work?

Not sure I understand as you mentioned the first Saturday twice. Anyhow it would be best to contact the guy putting on the class.

Great list of links!
I programmed a bunch of 2M repeaters from around the state a few weeks ago. Wondering if there's interest in the club on getting a common list of repeaters on our radios.

I was talking to somebody from Golden the other day on the way home from work via one of the linked repeaters.

I have a couple of programming files you are welcome to have that I got from a Rising Sum member. I know Luke is working on one as well. We should also post a list of frequencies for trial Run's as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Update and correction

Jeff got some incorrect information regarding the class. I updated the RACES link per Jeff's information.

I contacted Bob 3/4/12 and he said there still is room in the class but only a few seats left.

Come on, this is a great opportunity!

Last edited:
Colorado Springs folks,

I'm still a newbie HAM and was wondering what freqs I should program in my radios. I have 2m and 70cm (I own a Yaesu FT-2900R and a Baofeng UV-3R HT) capability & I'm wondering what the best repeaters/simplex are to monitor down here. I just run a Slim Jim sitting on a painters pole, so I don't know how far out I can get (though I've talked to folks in Denver, Salida, and Cheyenne, WY)

Thanks,
Dave / KD0PGD

I would say for repeaters Colorado connection, CRA repeaters, Cheyenne Mtn repeater group and mountain amateur radio club (MARC). For simplex there seems to be activity on 146.460 and there is always the national calling frequency 146.520.

I have a programming file if anyone would like it just shoot me a pm.

I updated the main thread to include MARC (their Tue. night net) CMRG info.

I also updated to include a link to the New Mexico mega link

Last edited:
Got my vanity call this morning, so now I'm WØALE!! That call sign makes me thirtsy!

hey thanks co-hunter. I have been looking into getting my licensee here in colorado springs.

I can vouch for gigaparts, I've bought a lot through them. It is worth checking out HRO in Denver, they actually sell cheaper at the store and there's no shipping. I think they have a "no compete" thing with the website.
As for 2 meter only, I say yes, thats fine. Leon will say no. There's arguments for both. If you're using it for safety reasons, then a dual band is a better choice. There may be a repeater you can hit at 70CM where you can't reach a 2M.
I say buy a lower cost single band radio, see if HAM is something you use as a tool or maybe something you might want to make another hobby out of, and if that's the case, buy more expensive radios. That class is going to get you pretty excited about radio technology.
Another word on radio cost. strangely, I've never found a good deal on ebay or amazon that HRO couldn't beat.

I agree with Luke, the toughest part is deciding on radio(s) :D. I knew my purchase was to include emergency com so I went dual band, didn't want to be limited. I have found good deals on ebay, look at craigslist too. QRZ and eham have classifieds as well. BTW, right now Yaesu and some Kenwood models have manufacturer discounts depending on model.

As a coincidence, I'm likiley seeling my Ft 7900 in the near fututre due to an upgrade, TM-D710 :D

I'm getting ready to start prepping for the class in April and have begun reading the book.

Today I ran across this website that covers the test question pool in an audio format. After listening to three of the files so far, they sound pretty good. My commute to/from work is about to get a lot more productive.

Test March 2nd in Woodland Park

The Mountain Amateur Radio Club VE Team will be conducting a VE session at
10 am on Saturday, March 2nd, in the Community Meeting Room of the Woodland
Park Library, 218 East Midland Avenue. The MARC VE Team is affiliated with
the ARRL/VEC and examinations for all classes of license will be offered.

Full information, including driving directions to the Woodland Park Library,
is available under “VE Sessions” on the MARC website at
http://www.nx0g.org/ve.html or contact Wes Wilson (KØHBZ) at k0hbz@arrl.net
or call (719) 687-8758.

If attending, please BE SURE to bring the following items to the session:
1. A valid PHOTO ID, driver's license preferred (if you do not have a valid
photo ID, please call for alternative identification requirements).
2. Your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (now required – this includes children).
3. Your ORIGINAL amateur radio license (if any) AND a PHOTOCOPY for the VE
Team to keep.
4. The ORIGINAL of any relevant CSCEs you may have AND a PHOTOCOPY for the
VE Team to keep.
5. Cash, Check or Money Order for $15 (standard ARRL VE Fee). Checks and
money orders should be made out to MARC and cover all different exams you
wish to take at the VE session.

MARC VE Team policy, as with many VE Teams, is to not allow same day retests
on failed exams.

For already licensed hams, MARC members should be monitoring the MARC
repeater system 146.820- or 448.650- (both 107.2 Hz) if you need help with
talk-in.

73 Wes KØHBZ
MARC VE Team

That price is pretty good for that radio. The rebates on many radios are good right now. How good a deal it is depends on how well it fits your needs.

gigaparts and ham city have good deals as well.

Interesting cartoon, seems like you are ready for the test ;)

I don't have to prepare, I just have to find out who is.... :)

Nice work on passing the exam.

Too bad on the time, I think I have been in and out in an hour. Congrats on the test, next :beer: is on me.

Kilo Delta Zero Uniform Quebec Quebec.

Remember that, because everyone is going to think you're saying KD0QQQ on the radio :D

Vanity calls are easy to research and acquire if you feel you need a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom