HAM radio information thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is what I asked for for Christmas...seems like a good starting place for me. Fyi, Looks like you need to buy a data cable if you wish to name your programmed frequencies. Better antennas and larger batteries are easy to get on amazon as well.

The UV-5R didn't show up under the christmas tree (but some tire deflators did :)), so I went ahead and ordered one myself tonight. I added a USB programming cable and a Nagoya NA-701 antenna.

I found a nice report showing performance on the UV-5R with a number of antennas and used it, along with amazon reviews, to select the antenna:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/pdf/AntennaTestingW9MDB.pdf

I am hopeful that this will be a decent radio, and I am surprised that I am spending quite a bit less on this than I did for my CB.

:cheers:

It's an ok little radio Andrew, you'll have good luck with it. I've had the opportunity to borrow one and play with it, the menu is very similar to the Yaesu menus. It can be a little tricky to get it to do what you want sometimes because it doesn't have some automatic setting features like the more expensive radios do. Great for simplex stuff like we do on outings. If you're going to be playing on the repeaters, make sure you study up on repeater shift and CTCSS coding, you'll be programming all that yourself.

Andrew, I have a UV5R and will be happy to email you my channel presets file with all the local repeaters. Can't do it until next week though. Just upload it with your cable and you should be good to go.

Andrew,

It is a real pain to program repeaters manually. I will need to program mine with a cable so I will be converting my Yaesu files to the Baofeng format. You can have the file if you want, pretty extensive file for CO and simplex. Includes some in UT, WY, and NM. Anyone is welcome to it. I also have it in Kenwood format. I have read Baofeng software is not the best so I plan to use CHIRP. I don't have a cable so I will be borrowing yours or Eric's :grinpimp:

Oh yeah, don't forget to get the license before you TX :D

Andrew,

It is a real pain to program repeaters manually. I will need to program mine with a cable so I will be converting my Yaesu files to the Baofeng format. You can have the file if you want, pretty extensive file for CO and simplex. Includes some in UT, WY, and NM. Anyone is welcome to it. I also have it in Kenwood format. I have read Baofeng software is not the best so I plan to use CHIRP. I don't have a cable so I will be borrowing yours or Eric's :grinpimp:

I plan to use CHIRP as well. I did not get the "official" cable with the Baofeng CD. You are welcome to borrow the cable and I would definitely appreciate the file. Maybe I can bring the cable to the Jan. meeting.

:doh: A license? ;)

I've been looking at the material and I will probably go ahead and sign up for the next test. I have a bit of an electronics/circuits background, so I am comfortable with a good part of the material. I will probably at least make a half-assed attempt at the general license, though I haven't figured out if it gives any privileges that I would actually use.

Andrew, I have a UV5R and will be happy to email you my channel presets file with all the local repeaters. Can't do it until next week though. Just upload it with your cable and you should be good to go.

Thanks, Brad. Are you using CHIRP?

It's an ok little radio Andrew, you'll have good luck with it. I've had the opportunity to borrow one and play with it, the menu is very similar to the Yaesu menus. It can be a little tricky to get it to do what you want sometimes because it doesn't have some automatic setting features like the more expensive radios do. Great for simplex stuff like we do on outings. If you're going to be playing on the repeaters, make sure you study up on repeater shift and CTCSS coding, you'll be programming all that yourself.

Thanks, Luke. I think I understand the repeater shift, but I have no idea what CTCSS is...i'll look it up in a bit. Most of what I have read seems to make sense to me, but I suspect the devil is in the details and I will have plenty of trouble getting things right.

Last edited:
Andrew,

Hmmmmm...... ;)

didn't quite get there yet...

T2B02 (D)
What is the term used to describe the use of a sub-audible tone transmitted with
normal voice audio to open the squelch of a receiver?
A. Carrier squelch
B. Tone burst
C. DTMF
D. CTCSS
~~

The cap I use is nice and water tight but I don't use it often. I only use the cap when I switch to my 1/4 wave mag mount in low overhang areas.

Kilo, delta, zero, zulu, echo, victor

Congrats on getting your ticket :clap:

Travis, that information is all in the first post of this thread and where all new information will be updated. Please check there before reposting duplicates so this thread doesn't get too cluttered and long.

By the way that flexi whip is an incredibly flexible antenna, I bought one for use on 2m and 70cm (as 3/4 wave, yes it works)

Last edited:
By the way that flexi whip is an incredibly flexible antenna, I bought one for use on 2m and 70cm (as 3/4 wave, yes it works)

Do you have a like to where you purchased that antenna? Thanks.

This is where I bought mine. You need to set up an account which is easy to do.

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=446637

It says whip only but it does include the antenna base that screws on top of the NMO mount.

:bang: This is getting ridiculous. Had my new (4th) antenna on today. I almost never pull into the garage, but after picking up the kids in our rain/snow/sleet/hail/thunder storm, I decided to do just that.... and took out my new antenna. AGAIN!!! :bang: Still somewhat intact, so I'll try epxoying again. :crybaby:

Time to get that whip.

I hate to laugh but :doh:
There goes another $70 :flush:

Hehe...got to use the toilet emoticon

Seriously though, that is a REAL bummer!!

Denver HamFest August 17, Golden, CO

Dear Fellow HamFest Enthusiast:

Time is running short! We are less than a month away from the Denver Radio Club 2014 Ham Radio and Electronic Hobbyist Swapfest which will be held on Sunday, August 17th, 2014 at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Golden, Colorado. (http://jeffco.us/fair/index.htm) Tables are selling quickly we invite you and/or your company to participate. If you expect to be a vendor at this year's event don't wait until the last minute. To receive the discounted table price advance reservations must be received by August 10th. Our hamfests attract over 600 amateur radio and computer/electronic enthusiasts. This is an excellent way for you to advertise your company or publicize a new product in your line. It's also a great opportunity to clear out some of those ham, computer and electronic items that you are no longer using.

Tables are available but will start going fast. To reduce mail clutter the flyer with details and a table registration form can be found on our website at http://w0tx.org/DenverHamfestFlyer2014.pdf. We are striving to bring in many buyers via great door prizes, technical seminars, amateur license testing and more. Indications are that this will, again be the major hamfest in the Colorado. Last year we added additional space and tables to the location and it worked very well with more room for setup. By using the entire Fairground's Exhibit Hall and are rearranging the table layout we provided easier access and additional space for the vendors. Last year we were a few tables short of a sell out. I would suggest reserving your spot early so you don't miss out.

We also accept any items that you wish to donate as a door prize. Donations to the Denver Radio Club, Inc. can be deductible as we are classified as a "Scientific and Educational Organization" by the IRS under section 501(c)3. Of course, we will notify you of the receipt of your gift and provide suitable donation documentation..

We are looking forward to hearing from you. Any swapfest correspondence can be directed to:

Denver Radio Club Hamfest
c/o Bryan Steinberg, KBØA
9245 W 20th Ave
Lakewood, CO 80215-1617
303.987-9596
- or -
drcfest@w0tx.org

Thank you in advance for helping to make the Denver Radio Club's 2014 Hamfest a success.

Sincerely,
Bryan Steinberg KBØA
Colorado, USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom