H42 Transmission, Tcase, eBrake Rebuild in a '76 FJ40` (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still must put on the front and rear bearing retainers, get the transfer case and two remaining gears put back on.

Before finishing the t-case, must determine it I want to put in a different speedo gear. I was going to change to a different toothed gear to allow for the 33" tires to keep the Speedo accurate. But then I decided to change the diff gearing to 3.70, and now I'm back to scratching my head as to how to accurately calculate the speedo gearing.
And also 6 years later, I'm sitting here ready to put the speedo driven gear and cable in, but I don't remember which drive gear I installed. I guess it is the 18 tooth, as I am holding the 6x17 pair of drive/driven in my hand.
850B5C82-D11F-4598-82BC-6DE984C45991_1_105_c.jpeg

I guess I ended up with an 18 tooth combo, because I have an 18 tooth driven gear bagged with the 17 tooth combo. 6 years is a long time. "Oh, I'll have pictures and emails to remember it with!" Yea, right!

Last edited:
Crap - I did this backwards didn't I? I put the long spacer inside, and have the short one outside. Bearing goes in a bit, but the washers and the nut don't snug up against the spacer. In my pictures, I see that the spacer was longer on the shaft before the Nut and washers (I think).

View attachment 855952
Without spacer. Note bearing depth

View attachment 855953
View attachment 855954
With spacer. Clearly not right.

Did I swap them?

EDIT: photo from early in the rebuild:

View attachment 855955
This is the spacer pictured above. Clearly in the wrong spot currently. This photo shows it on the output shaft prior to tcase.

EDITED TO MATCH FJ40Jim's CORRECTIONS BELOW:
Output shaft area needs to be in this order:
- Tranny
- Tranny output bearing
- Output shaft spacer (the one just above)
- transfer case
- inside the transfer case - T-case drive gear,
- inside transfer case, PTO gear or spacer
- output shaft t-case bearing
- yet another spacer or rear PTO drive
- washers and nut
- Tail cone

Is this right?
View attachment 855952View attachment 855953View attachment 855954View attachment 855955
I did the same thing because the manual photos are not clear. Mine had a PTO gear so the two spacers were quite a bit different and I put the long one in first.

Last edited:
I will be documenting my H42 tranny rebuild here for the good of the masses since I cannot seem to find a complete one anywhere.

Telling an H41 and H42 apart: Can you tell an h42 from a h41 visually? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/652966-can-you-tell-h42-h41-visually.html

I will do my best to get this right, and with the help of the Mud community, I'm sure we will get close.

Caveat emptor: I am not a mechanic. I did however sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night (yea, that's about as qualified as I am to do this).

I am using the FSM for a 1975 FJ40, and one from the 1980 FJ40 (Chassis and Body) from TrollHole's thread, (Tip: the '80 manual is more descriptive and asker to understand than the '75 manual where it relates to the 4 speed transmission - get both) as well as the notoriously ill informed Haynes manual. I will also be using sheer will and determination to get this done.

TrollHole's FSM Free Download thread: For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/610994-40-50-60-80-series-fsm-hell-price.html

I purchased my rebuild kit from TPI4x4.com. It came with a full set of blue paper gaskets, Koyo bearings, seals, needle bearings, crush washers. I'll detail the kit here in the near future.

I like to bag and tag all pars in zip lock bags, with the part name written in sharpie on the bag.

Step 1: Removal of the Transmission
This is widely covered in other places, therefore I'm not going deep here. Basically, you must remove the drive shafts, and remove the seat and tranny hump from inside, and several other parts to get the transmission and transfer case out. Can be done as a single unit or together. See my thread (in sig line) if you need details on this. It points to my sources of how I figured this out.

Step 2: Separation of Tranny and Tcase
Again, covered elsewhere. See my thread for how I did it.

Here is the transmission pre-tear down

View attachment 788427
H42 Transmission - Hump Side

View attachment 788428
H42 Transmission - No Cover Plate

Note the absence of the "Power Take Off" Cover present in older H42 models. My transmission must have been replaced at some point with a newer model that does not have this plate. Most documentation shows this plate and suggests your remove it as one of the first steps in the teardown. If you have it, take it off as it may make viewing and accessing the inside easier. Plus, you need to replace the gasket.

View attachment 788429
Front, "Input" side from Clutch/Engine

View attachment 788430
Back - "Output" side to Transfer Case

Step 3: Shift lever removal
I had trouble with this. I did not have or make a tool to do this task, so I tried a vice grip to push down on the shift lever and to turn it clockwise. Did not work. This may come back to bite me, but I just removed the whole unit as one by removing the cover plate.

View attachment 788431
Shift Cover Plate Removed

View attachment 788432
View attachment 788433
View attachment 788434
Shift Lever and Cover Plate

Step 4: Top Cover Plate Removal
Simply removed the bolts and tapped the cover to loosen it with a dead blow hammer. Pried it off the two locator pins that sit at the 11 oclock and 5 oclock positions on the case where the cover fits on. At first I thought these were sheared bolts, but looking and seeing that they were chamfered on the ends, I figured they were supposed to be there.

View attachment 788424
Top Cover Plate Removed - Locating Pins shown

View attachment 788425
View attachment 788450
Locating pins detail
View attachment 788424View attachment 788425View attachment 788426View attachment 788427View attachment 788428View attachment 788429View attachment 788430View attachment 788431View attachment 788432View attachment 788433View attachment 788434View attachment 788450
I did a requild of a H42 and transfer case last year and posted it on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom