GOBI Roof Rack -1st off the line! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a couple of shots of the ladder. It's rock solid and sturdy. Used it quite a bit this summer on my camping trips.

GOBI Ladder 001.jpg

GOBI Ladder 003.jpg

I wanted one for my 100. I called the guy after finding his cell on a thead somewhere. They said they had more photos and even had one in stock. Since i was going to be in Colorado, I thought i could swing by and have it installed. Gave them my email and never got photos or a quote.. Called again a week later and he passed the phone to his wife to take my email, never got photos.

Tried to throw money at them, and nothing. Front Runner being installed now.

Installation Tips

I've been meaning to post some pictures of my installation, so here you go. I hope these are helpful to the next guy.

Here are the rubber seals that were under the stock roof rack. To me the directions were not clear whether or not you should remove these but in my eyes it made since to remove them.

040913175023.jpg

Once removed, I cleaned the epoxy/glue off the best I could, particularly at where the new seals were going. I wasn't sure what I could use to remove the glue without jeopardizing the paint so I just used soap and water with a lot of elbow grease.

041013114400.jpg

After cleaning it the best I could, I re-installed the gutter trim. Then I put down the first rubber seal as the directions indicate.

041013121659.jpg

Followed by the plastic spacers.

041013121718.jpg

And then another rubber seal.

041013121736.jpg

040913175023.jpg

041013114400.jpg

041013121659.jpg

041013121718.jpg

041013121736.jpg

Installation Tips

Next carefully set the rack on the mounts and bolt it down.

041013181637.jpg

The final step is to install the wind shield and enjoy.

041013183551.jpg

041013183607.jpg

Roof rack in use, typically carrying the kayak and rod holder.

sunday 180.jpg

Pete's (11).jpg

So far I have really enjoyed the rack. Like I said above, I use it mainly to carry my kayak to and from the beach. However, I also climb on top of it and use it to clean the top of the cruiser and to wash the rack itself after returning from the beach. After one season at the beach the only sign of rust is on the screws on the light mounts. I'll probably see if I can replace them with some stainless steel ones before next fishing season.

Until next time.

041013181637.jpg

041013183551.jpg

041013183607.jpg

sunday 180.jpg

Pete's (11).jpg

how is the rack holding up thru winter? any corrosion issues?

I'm three years in with my 80 rack full time on the roof. I don't wash the truck often. Its garaged at night but outside parked all day. Rust is generally not a problem here in Colorado but they have started to use mag chloride in recent years in Denver. Slight discoloration onto some of the mounting bolts where they must have scraped off some powder coat on installation. Powdercoat (two layers - primer and top) is like new except places I have scraped it from use (like driving under trees and hitting my roof load). I have has metla jerry cans, wood, tools, etc, up there for week long trips barely seeing pavement and the powder coat has held up fine.

That is clearly the best looking 100 Series rack on the market.

I love Gobi products and almost bought one of their racks for my old 4Runner years ago. However, for the LC, it looks way too narrow. I like how Gamiviti and FR covers the entire width of the roof.

I love Gobi products and almost bought one of their racks for my old 4Runner years ago. However, for the LC, it looks way too narrow. I like how Gamiviti and FR covers the entire width of the roof.

I never really knew what it was that I liked so much about it and its that. I like the narrow look.

I never liked any roof rack for the 100 Series. So I retro'd a low profile rack onto mine. This Gobi just slays everything on the market.

IMG_5881.jpg

Makes sense. When you add accessories no each side, the width works well. The awning, or high lift, or axe and shovel, don't stick out too far. With the accessory brackets removed for daily driving you are left with a clean look.

thanks for the response gonna look into this when weather gets better here; my friend has a baja rack on his 4 runner and its has minor rust issues but its only 2 years old (only one winter season here in north east use) the rust is on the weld areas which seems odd.

another question for ya what do you guys do for snow removal? those that keep their trucks outside. It would seem difficult to get the snow out from under rack etc. Here we have to remove snow from your roof or you may get a ticket from the police etc

Same point to be made again regarding the width and hanging accesories or awnings off of the rails. Works great to keep a tight profile. Removing snow from underneath the rack...can you use a compressor and blow it off or maybe just a yardstick???

thanks for the response gonna look into this when weather gets better here; my friend has a baja rack on his 4 runner and its has minor rust issues but its only 2 years old (only one winter season here in north east use) the rust is on the weld areas which seems odd.

another question for ya what do you guys do for snow removal? those that keep their trucks outside. It would seem difficult to get the snow out from under rack etc. Here we have to remove snow from your roof or you may get a ticket from the police etc

Because of the expanded metal on the floor of the rack, I bet you'd get very little accumulation on the roof, if any at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom