GOBI Roof Rack -1st off the line! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

because, for that much money he'd get one tiny LED bar and have to install it himself.

And the problem is???:D

Dude, it's all about the carbon foot print man...
are you digg'n it? (to be said with a silly grin on your face and flowers in your hair, all whilst eating your tofo burger)

(My best tree hugger impersonation)

Too late now! I considered that, but decided to go with the PIAA's instead.

They are now available for the public, just call or email Paul at Gobi Racks and he'll get you set up with what you want. I also bought the Hi-Lift jack mount and rachet strap attachments, which I have yet to mount as well, but will be on this spring.

Back to the LED light question, I priced out the RIGID LED 40" bar for the front and two 2x2 spots for the rear and the lights alone would have been almost twice as much as the PIAA's with installation that I decided to go with. Since I am not as mechanically inclined as a lot you guys out here, I didn't want to do the install myself. I know my limits and when it's better to pay someone with experience, than to do it myself.

Does the wire loom for the lights run down the windshield channel molding on the DS? If so, how is it held in place, and do you get wind noise from it?

The wires for the lights run down both sides of the windshiield channel, no noise, and there's a sticky tape that holds them in place. I have driven 5-6K miles, lots of highway milage, with them in there with no problems or wind noise. The wind deflector for the rack is very effective to reducing noise as well.

agree with you on the price those led's are cool but very pricey; also I have seen the 2x2 dually and its wierd, it does not provide a good amount of throw. How are the piaa's ? I have seen some videos of the big led bar which provides lots of light but that thing is expensive.

Having the the additional PIAA lights has been great, the few times I have used them so far. I have not been able to really compare it to anything else yet, so it's hard to compare and contrast.

Those little PIAA lights provide that much output?

Also, I would think you have very little wind noise because of the deflector, many racks wouldn't. Take it off and let us know. I know my FR howls without some kind of wind deflection.

The small PIAA nice for additional lights off-road, but don't have the brightness other, bigger lights or the LED light bars have. If I were to do it over, I would have spent the extra money on a LED light bar. Paul said the wind deflector makes a noticable difference on noise, since I don't have a deciible reader or any other objective way to measure "how much louder" it may be, I will trust his work and experience and keep it on, knowing that it's quieter than without it.

They are the same as a Yakima cross bar, as all of my attachments fit...so...maybe 1"???? Check Yakima's website maybe...

Awesome awesome awesome! Thanks! Have a blast @ Moab, wish I was there with you! Aaron

I don't have a use for a roof rack and want to buy one because it looks cool:grinpimp:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

when you installed this rack did you simply remove the factory racks? or did you have to take the gutter lining out to reveal other points for the rack mounts?

The factory rack came off and the Gobi is designed to mount directly into where the feet of the factory rack go.

GOBI Rack

I just put a GOBI Steath on my 07. Left the channel trim in place. It can be done. Not sure what the advantages/disadvantages might be to leaving the channel in place. Looks cleaner to me although may be an issue with debri. Since I park in a garage, not much chance of appreciable accumulation.

Best regards,
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom