GMB F and 1.5F 'Made-in-Japan' Water Pump Gone ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

16100-60080 10.jpg

16100-60080 4.jpg

16100-60080 1.jpg
16100-60080 7.jpg
16100-60080 5.jpg
16100-60080 2.jpg
16100-60080 4.jpg

16100-60080 9.jpg

now ....

a singular perspective of a original MADE IN JAPAN GMB
16100-60080

this photo shoot below took place a few years after the above spring 2019 spread of goodies goodness

but , long before the Late 2022 production ends & NOBODY is told till @cruiseroutfit digs at and for a official WHY factor here now in the Spring of 2024 ?

i received only 2 small stock orders from GMB usa from the initial COVID19 lock down first week till say almost now 3-ish years , BOTH couple in a big box that did trickle in have a thin-kerf 4" grinder blade type Hurry the hell up slash right across the entire cast iron word JAPAN

exactly like how i show above ...

box said made in japan in the TINY iddy biddy print text too , but a generic auto parts box that i have never seen before ?

why would GMB dump the scraps of there JAPAN made inventory and or the at the time current usa based corporate warehouse PDC Headquarters location

oh lookie lookie ...:idea:

this is the current GMB USA website product look up cataloged as of now ....:meh:
\

i guess in the modern age in 2024 , stuff a company stops producing tad over 2+ years ago gets lost in the daily shuffle ...?

FACT : i have regularly hawke
d Rock Auto , and also kept my out of stock , now in-stock alert feature for the 170-1080 in place and active , i never saw it come back in stock , when is suddenly showed up as OUT OF STOCK in the same exact late 2022 time window as well ,

- so i guess there is still a mystery here and no final chapter written yet on the iconic icon GMB 16100-60080 .......:poof:

1714089745255.png

1714089792057.png

1714089809289.png

Last edited:
I remember my first GMB 60080 stock order too… a few decades ago :D We stocked them before my time @ Cruiser Outfitters but I cant say what kind of volume, everything in those days was done in carbon copy receipt books. It wasn’t until Jan 1, 2002 that we turned on digital invoicing with reporting capabilities and could really see how much of something was selling in a given period. I’d guess sales on those pumps peaked in the 2010-2015 timeframe. Between more Cruiser specialty shops stocking them and the number of driving or resto candidate F’s dwindling… it plateaued and trailed off into the sales we see today, perhaps 20-30 annually? I’d have to run a report to see.

I don’t think it’s much of a conspiracy, GMB, AISIN, Denso and Toyota themselves are discontinuing great (massive) deals of part numbers, sadly many for our beloved older Land Cruisers. They all still make part for brand new cars and they don’t have the production capacity, storage and sales capacity to service low volume parts. Nothing new, same thing I’ve seen happening for decades. I’ve seen hundreds and hundreds of discontinuations in parts that I felt were popular, but in the big picture it was tiny volume to an OEM manufacturer. While my December 2023 email ultimately gave the final answer on why they were harder to source, it wasn’t a shock as we had been discussing why they only had a few in stock at any given time and when we could see a large volume order, that conversation had been happening for quite some time.

I’m watching dozens of similar parts for signs they’ll be discontinued so we can work to stock up where appropriate. We just did a massive re-stock on some additional AISIN parts that are going NLA, in many cases buying all remaining US stock as the manufacture formally announces they are sunsetting or superseding a part.

I remember my first GMB 60080 stock order too… a few decades ago :D We stocked them before my time @ Cruiser Outfitters but I cant say what kind of volume, everything in those days was done in carbon copy receipt books. It wasn’t until Jan 1, 2002 that we turned on digital invoicing with reporting capabilities and could really see how much of something was selling in a given period. I’d guess sales on those pumps peaked in the 2010-2015 timeframe. Between more Cruiser specialty shops stocking them and the number of driving or resto candidate F’s dwindling… it plateaued and trailed off into the sales we see today, perhaps 20-30 annually? I’d have to run a report to see.

I don’t think it’s much of a conspiracy, GMB, AISIN, Denso and Toyota themselves are discontinuing great (massive) deals of part numbers, sadly many for our beloved older Land Cruisers. They all still make part for brand new cars and they don’t have the production capacity, storage and sales capacity to service low volume parts. Nothing new, same thing I’ve seen happening for decades. I’ve seen hundreds and hundreds of discontinuations in parts that I felt were popular, but in the big picture it was tiny volume to an OEM manufacturer. While my December 2023 email ultimately gave the final answer on why they were harder to source, it wasn’t a shock as we had been discussing why they only had a few in stock at any given time and when we could see a large volume order, that conversation had been happening for quite some time.

I’m watching dozens of similar parts for signs they’ll be discontinued so we can work to stock up where appropriate. We just did a massive re-stock on some additional AISIN parts that are going NLA, in many cases buying all remaining US stock as the manufacture formally announces they are sunsetting or superseding a part.

This is a super unique and big picture on-topic timeline of events above Kurt that is really neat to know ..... thanks for adding this here Sir ..

after reading your post above once , a new and perhaps real fact-based theory came to mind instantly ...........

so i re-read all your words again a bit more intently , to make sure my below might possibly be spot on here in-fact ...........?

- the GMB
16100-60080 is cast iron , and was Made in JAPAN ......

- all the recent time line OEM TOYOTA part # and AISIN and or ADVICS part # brake master cylinders , clutch and slave hydraulic cylinders , and front brake calipers , and front and rear wheel cylinders also , that are being phased out or as you coin it so delicately " manufacture formally announces they are sunsetting or superseding " all also made in JAPAN too ....

All Land Cruiser parts i refer to above share 1 singular technical specification ...........

They are all Sand Cast from molten cast iron , and then machined to all there individual details , finally the freshly machined surfaces like the bottom gasket face , and the top shaft and bearing entry bore hole topped off with the NOK brand made in japan double lip type seal are taped off or covered in some way to the more then thicker then average 2 or more coats of the common chassis black DTM enamel is applied ...... i say 2 or more because its my observation in life there is NO way you can achieve this mil. thickness in a sigle coat , from my experience anyway ......

so ..... CAST IRON metallurgy made parts here in this on-topic parts discussion points i make , may be the major factor at play , along with the overall demand slowing down as time goes on to present day ...

Your thoughts please Kurt ....... :) :wrench: :wrench: :wrench::wrench::wrench:

The only thing that I can add here is perspective. When I opened my shop, the vendors of that time like myself were REALLY spoiled, because we could still order the 170-1070, the water pump for the 1966 and older F135 engines. I’m pretty sure that the WP in my ‘65 swb resto is a GMB installed 31 years ago…and still working.😉

This is a super unique and big picture on-topic timeline of events above Kurt that is really neat to know ..... thanks for adding this here Sir ..

after reading your post above once , a new and perhaps real fact-based theory came to mind instantly ...........

so i re-read all your words again a bit more intently , to make sure my below might possibly be spot on here in-fact ...........?

- the GMB
16100-60080 is cast iron , and was Made in JAPAN ......

- all the recent time line OEM TOYOTA part # and AISIN and or ADVICS part # brake master cylinders , clutch and slave hydraulic cylinders , and front brake calipers , and front and rear wheel cylinders also , that are being phased out or as you coin it so delicately " manufacture formally announces they are sunsetting or superseding " all also made in JAPAN too ....

All Land Cruiser parts i refer to above share 1 singular technical specification ...........

They are all Sand Cast from molten cast iron , and then machined to all there individual details , finally the freshly machined surfaces like the bottom gasket face , and the top shaft and bearing entry bore hole topped off with the NOK brand made in japan double lip type seal are taped off or covered in some way to the more then thicker then average 2 or more coats of the common chassis black DTM enamel is applied ...... i say 2 or more because its my observation in life there is NO way you can achieve this mil. thickness in a sigle coat , from my experience anyway ......

so ..... CAST IRON metallurgy made parts here in this on-topic parts discussion points i make , may be the major factor at play , along with the overall demand slowing down as time goes on to present day ...

Your thoughts please Kurt ....... :) :wrench: :wrench: :wrench::wrench::wrench:

It's not limited to Japan made parts in my experience. Many vendors in this space are discontinuing products, Old Man Emu (Australia), US made parts, etc. Obviously we realize more discontinued part from Japan than anywhere because the vast majority of our parts and the parts made for Land Cruisers in general are made in Japan.

I also don't think it's limited to cast iron vs cast aluminum, we are seeing discontinuations of each and still regular availability of pumps/parts made of each. I feel is more age based, stuff older than 1980 is getting rough, 80-90 OK, 90+ pretty good. If we have this conversation in another 5 years, I bet we'll say 1980 & older is rough.

Fwiw, we used to stock the OEM Toyota boxed 16100-60080, we sold our last one in 2013. I *think* I have a new OEM boxed pump in my hoard pile. Photo from our old site. Slight differences from the GMB aftermarket offering.

1714155831844.jpeg

It's not limited to Japan made parts in my experience. Many vendors in this space are discontinuing products, Old Man Emu (Australia), US made parts, etc. Obviously we realize more discontinued part from Japan than anywhere because the vast majority of our parts and the parts made for Land Cruisers in general are made in Japan.

I also don't think it's limited to cast iron vs cast aluminum, we are seeing discontinuations of each and still regular availability of pumps/parts made of each. I feel is more age based, stuff older than 1980 is getting rough, 80-90 OK, 90+ pretty good. If we have this conversation in another 5 years, I bet we'll say 1980 & older is rough.

Fwiw, we used to stock the OEM Toyota boxed 16100-60080, we stock our last one in 2013. I *think* I have a new OEM boxed pump in my hoard pile. Photo from our old site. Slight differences from the GMB aftermarket offering.

View attachment 3617216

i have seen this OEM variation before Kurt ,

the pressed in sheet metal by-pass hose bib tells me this was / is a OEM
AISIN F1.5 application water pump in your horde .....

WT

Lots of knowledge of GMB water pumps here. I scooped up this water pump that has a different stamp in the housing from all the ones posted in the pictures above. It clearly sat in storage awhile judging by the oxidation on the surface flange. Is this just an older logo? No stamps indicating country of origin. Just curious what I actually have. For reference, unknown manufacturer water pump I took off my truck.

20240426_164559.jpg

20240426_165213.jpg

20240426_165225.jpg

20240426_165556.jpg

Lots of knowledge of GMB water pumps here. I scooped up this water pump that has a different stamp in the housing from all the ones posted in the pictures above. It clearly sat in storage awhile judging by the oxidation on the surface flange. Is this just an older logo? No stamps indicating country of origin. Just curious what I actually have. For reference, unknown manufacturer water pump I took off my truck.

View attachment 3617323

View attachment 3617324

View attachment 3617325

View attachment 3617326
Are they the same height? 5-5/16" / 135mm

The 16100-60080 is not the only cast pump offering from Toyota/aftermarkets. Do they measure the same as this:

1714172751003.png

Same height. Same bolt pattern. Same hub.

That is interesting. Very possible they had more than one factory and/or more than one set of molds. The labeling could be something they have the ability to change in their mold process too.

Curious: Even with the great reputation of the GMB pump, was it still necessary for the end-user to pull the backing plate and seal the inner gasket before installing?

IMG_3780.JPEG

IMG_3781.JPEG

IMG_3782.JPEG

So, I just recently went down this rabbit hole. I was replacing the radiator in my 9/72, that had a ‘75 era 2F transplanted into it sometime before me. As I was replacing the radiator, I thought, I should replace the water pump, thermostat, and associated hoses, since those pieces had been there for at least the 21 years I’ve owned the truck. I ordered a boat load of parts and just thought the wp was the std 2F, no clutch, no oil cooler pump. Then when I bolted it all on, I noticed the pulley was now an 1inch off. Long story, short, I had a the original cast iron wp (probably from the 1.5F that came with the truck.) so, I ordered some fancy, bling pulley to try and get belts back in alignment.
However, after reading all this, should I just have tried to re-build the old wp or just left well enough alone??

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

So, I just recently went down this rabbit hole. I was replacing the radiator in my 9/72, that had a ‘75 era 2F transplanted into it sometime before me. As I was replacing the radiator, I thought, I should replace the water pump, thermostat, and associated hoses, since those pieces had been there for at least the 21 years I’ve owned the truck. I ordered a boat load of parts and just thought the wp was the std 2F, no clutch, no oil cooler pump. Then when I bolted it all on, I noticed the pulley was now an 1inch off. Long story, short, I had a the original cast iron wp (probably from the 1.5F that came with the truck.) so, I ordered some fancy, bling pulley to try and get belts back in alignment.
However, after reading all this, should I just have tried to re-build the old wp or just left well enough alone??

View attachment 3617739

View attachment 3617740

View attachment 3617741

View attachment 3617742
Benefit of getting the pulley though is you gave yourself some breathing room with parts availability! If you can run a newer 2F pump, that is great! Keep the old pump still if you can though. Could be a good rebuild core for you or someone else later.

View attachment 3617739

View attachment 3617740

View attachment 3617741

View attachment 3617742

Which pulley did you order?

There are many ways to tackle the water pump & pulley interface. That obscured chart I posted above showing the 60080 pump is near complete and will help us when helping customers find new pump/pulley/clutch/blade combos. I think I can comfortably say we stock more pump, clutch and blade variants than any in the US for LC applications, we're documenting all the specs and mounting configurations of those for some upcoming offerings.

If you decide you don't want that old pump, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I tried to rebuild the pump that came off my truck but it had a weird seal cup inside that wasn't anything like the listed replacement pump seals out there. I found a suitable replacement pump but would love to take apart an original to check it out. :)

If you decide you don't want that old pump, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I tried to rebuild the pump that came off my truck but it had a weird seal cup inside that wasn't anything like the listed replacement pump seals out there. I found a suitable replacement pump but would love to take apart an original to check it out. :)
Sure. If all works out, then let’s do that. While I love hoarding my fair share of cruiser parts, it would be great if it can go to immediate use or provide some benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom