Builds GCRad1's 1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to see you have her up and running good.

Does toyota not have keys that say toyota anymore?

I thought the same thing when I got it, but it was a test key to make sure it worked and I still need to go back and get two more keys and will ask them.

Which one is the real "cruiser?"

3782224409_3667777aa7.jpg

Two guesses as to which one is the REAL cruiser?

Two Hints: It's not the second fastest animal in the Sahara "Impala" and it has an FJ80 motor = SLOW!!!

Yes, you guessed it! THE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER!!!

Now I just need some crushed velvet interior and "dingle-balls" around the ridge of the hood liner.

Low rider... yea, my Cruiser is stock so it's real low compared to most on the IH8MUD forum...

Last edited:
3782224409_3667777aa7.jpg

Two guess as to which one is the REAL cruiser?

Two Hints: It's not the second fastest animal in the Sahara "Impala" and it has an FJ80 motor = SLOW!!!

Yes, you guessed it! THE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER!!!

Now I just need some crushed velvet interior and "dingle-balls" around the ridge of the hood liner.

Low rider... yea, my Cruiser is stock so it's real low compared to most on the IH8MUD forum...

i'm sorry, I just don't get this post. I mean, yes, 80s tech can be fun and games at times. However, this isn't you personal blog

Last edited:
Speedometer cable replaced

WOW!!! UCBerzerkeley is crushin' my spirit! OK, I get it, GET BACK TO WORK HERE - DO WORK SON!!! I'm on it!!!

While my speedometer is not been metering I now have incentive to get it fixed! SO, off into the dash I go!
3786959674_497f2a05ee.jpg

Getting to the gauge cluster behind the steering column can be a bit of a task and several dash plate pieces have to come off in order to get to where you want to be - behind the gauges, just to even check if the speedometer cable is connected or broke or both.

3786155531_622a63dc7a.jpg

This is where the speedo-cable hooks directly into the back of the gauge cluster.

3786158571_14824c7216.jpg

While I disconnected the speedo-cable at the bottom on the transmission side after checking the gear drive inside the tranny, I clamped the speedo-cable with a clamp and twisted the cable at the top to see if the speedo-cable was broke and SURE'NUFF!!! BROKE!!! Luckily I had ordered everything speedo-cable related from CABE Toyota so I just replaced the whole cable.

3786161393_cb1de6e0cc.jpg

Toyota's are beef eaters! Sorry UCBerzerk... If it ain't fun, it's not worth it!

3786165091_549212a5f2.jpg

This is a happy sight!!! Speedometer is metering!!! Now I can get on with some test evaluations...

Last edited:
Yeah my axel is pretty bad, and i dont even know where to start... im debatning on driving it for a little longer to prolong the spending of 120 for those seals..... but mine needs a bit of work her self.... little late on the post just thought i'd ask how hard was it?

Axle-Rebuild? It's [a] Next on The PM List! hehehe I know I am pushing my luck, but when you are low on duckets and dead presidents... we do seem to ride it out. But I have gathered hopefully all the rebuild parts, just need to get it knocked out now... stay tuned!

Yeah my axel is pretty bad, and i dont even know where to start... im debatning on driving it for a little longer to prolong the spending of 120 for those seals..... but mine needs a bit of work her self.... little late on the post just thought i'd ask how hard was it?

Falken High Country Tires are on the ADV80!!!

3786510250_f8790d4f96.jpg

3786514150_daaca7fbe8.jpg

I FINALLY loaded up the tires and when to have them mounted! Finally, as I finally got my speedometer working again!!! Had to replace the whole cable!

3786523964_23619324f2.jpg

3785723841_da9bc9067e.jpg

ALLEN TIRE CO. [Costa Mesa] is the place I have done all my tire work as they where the only guys in Orange County that knew how to mount Michelin Rally Tires properly. It's not easy and they knew how, so I have stuck with them as they do great work. Funny, this is the place where I spotted the Land Cruiser for sale, of which I bought!

3786542586_2eed84c6c5.jpg

Falken Tires installed at mileage: 173,161
July 30, 2009

Yes, tire report coming soon as we went straight to Big Bear on the weekend and logged more dirt miles than pavement miles!!!

On sat. I loaded 900 lbs of cement into the back of my stink bug and it handled like a champ, actually sat level and didn't jump on every crack in the road, never even spilt my triple shot turtle head latte.

Falken High Country Tire Report

3785741779_8c1a4b5925.jpg

When you get new tires on, just driving around on pavement is just NO FUN, and all you need is an ever-so-small excuse to go out test out your new tires! So, I asked my daughters if they where game to go camping for a night and do some wheelin' in Big Bear. So we packed the ADV80 and the kids and where off to the mountains!!!

I did a full Trip Report & Tire Evaluation over on ExPo: Expedition Portal Forum

3786710312_3ec703177f.jpg

The Falken High Country's are already at home in the dirt!!! As soon as we hit dirt on Middle Control Road off the HWY38, even my girls noticed the difference in the ride on the new tires and they commented on how "NICE" these felt on the dirt road. They do ride very "nice" in the dirt and gravel!

3786799668_19887015a0.jpg

The Falken High Country's ride "normal" and quite on the tarmac road up here, but in the dirt is where they have a more noticeable difference in ride. Soft but firm is the best thing that comes to mind... The Falken High Country is a more aggressive tread design with wider siping and larger tread blocks than most original equipment tires. These puppies walked up the 1N54 easy as well. Not that this is a "crawling" road, but I do deem this a very suitable ADVENTURE TIRE and perfect for my adventures!

3786714562_c39e3e106b.jpg

The Falken High Country's while at first have a "mild all terrain" look, upon closer inspection, do have larger blocks on the outter-edge's and large negative spacing thus making room for rugged terrain traction suitable for mountain conditions. It's not a mud-terrain and they are not rock crawling tires, but again - very suited for my overland vehicle-dependent expeditions and mini-adventure travels.

3786135322_84d46ae5ec.jpg

Image from my Trip Report - Arrastre Creek on the 2N02.

3786064177_41eedd8439.jpg

The FALKEN HIGH COUNTRY's score HIGH MARKS there first weekend out!!!

3786076835_8f23c15420.jpg

253-MILES ROUND TRIP! Not so bad for a quick 2-day/1-night get-a-way with the kids.

So, it's 78.3 miles from our house to Middle Control Road off HWY38.
There and back is 156.6 tarmac-transit-miles.

And there was a little transit on HWY38 around the very dried up Baldwin Lake through Woodland [from 2N02 to 2N93] and that may have been about 6-miles?

SO, at best we logged 150-miles of DIRT ROADS!!! and I'm stoked with these tires for what they are!

Last edited:
Can you post a link I'd like to read your write up.

Great truck! It's nice when things start to come together - and when they fit.

2009 OFF-ROAD EXPO in Pomona, CA + SaddleBack Mountain After Trip

4005669731_7772db3f9f.jpg

Went to Off-Road Expo and did a little excursion across SaddleBack Mountain from the Corona side to Silverado Canyon side.
Full Post here: Link

FINALLY!!! Some Service PM Work Getting Done!!!

This morning I dropped the ADV80 off to Eric and Jay at YOTA MASTERS in Corona, California for some much needed and overly due service work!

4057352894_25a990f522.jpg

Its in to get the front axle rebuild and a couple of service PM's. Too busy to stick around to see the work going on as I had to go check out some desert race trucks in the making at Stewart RaceWorks.

John Tripp showing the HPI Crew a project in progress:
4056627795_133487e7b6.jpg

Yes, son of IVAN "IRON MAN" STEWART!
This is info about Craig's place:
http://www.stewartsraceworks.com/about.php

Wind Tunnel Testing at SDSU:
4056630289_927956cb35.jpg

Students at SDSU doing some wind tunnel testing with our HPI RACING Baja 5T, custom built by ScottG of PROTECTA.

Stewart builds some nice trucks! :steer:

Front axle is rebuilt!!!

4062291388_2a343ca469.jpg

So Yota Masters wasted no time at all on getting my front axle knuckles rebuilt! In one day and out the next and it was only a two day deal due to other issues such as the oil pan gasket replacement, brake job and a couple of tie rod ends not participating in the removal process.

A little discovered hick-up along the way:
4062293242_7dd3dfd78c.jpg

Passenger side Steering Knuckle had 12-1.25 thread pitch studs rammed into the factory 12-1.50 thread location. Yota Masters drilled out the messed up threads and inserted Timeserts and replaced the studs back to factory spec threaded studs.

While servicing the axle:
4061547389_c8a5ef611b.jpg

A 10mm Allen Plug to replace the lower hanging factory plug for the drive shaft pumpkin. My stock plug bolts had been chewed up so bad by the previous owner, it took Yota Masters some muscle and chiseling talent to get the stock drain plug out.

DPD: Dead-$-President-$-Damage
Front axle knuckles rebuilt by Yota Masters $450 [labor]
I provided the rebuild kit that I got from Cabe Toyota with my TLC member discount.
Drill/tap Timeserts $127.50 [parts/labor]

So, the front axle is all nice and rebuilt!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN DRIVING!!!

Next to sort in the front end department is to replace the Tie Rods Ends. Yota Masters attempted to replace the the Tie Rods Ends, but they are seized into the tube ends. A new Tie Rod is $300 from Toyota and our salvage yard had nothing on hand, so I have some unfinished business here and these need to be replace very soon!

OK, on to even more excitement!
4062292016_1d6914c02c.jpg

Oil Pan Gasket replaced $127 [labor]
I provided the gasket from Cabe Toyota - TLC Member discount.

4062292286_9b21b5af07.jpg

New oil pan gasket!!! YEA! My truck is not leaking oil everywhere! I can park in friends driveways, I can change my parking location at work and will not be embarrassed by the dead dinosaurs I've been leaving on the surface wherever the ADV80 had stopped.

If you are in the Southern California area and looking for a good service shop, I highly recommend the guys at Yota Masters.
They love rock crawling and specialize in Toyota's. What more could you ask for?

YOTA MASTERS
1336 W. 6th St
Corona, CA
www.yotamasters.com

Now for me to s****e up some more dead presidents!

cool cruiser! its good to see someone really enjoying and using an almost stock cruiser. I have 2 well modified cruisers and i seem to spend money or time on them when i should be doing what your upto...

ADV80 is a good name for your rig i guess.

Cheers!

I need to have the front axle rebuilt as well.

Yours looks pretty spiffy and so does the rest of the truck!

Keep up the good work!

Nice write-up on enjoying the ride. Mild to wild reflects the diversity of the way people use their trucks. Mine will certainly be more wild in the future, but right now just getting back to good running condition after previous neglectful ownership is a good lesson that is useful for us all.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom