Fuel to carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I finally got to the point of starting my rebuilt 2f. Filled the carb with gas manually. Engine started right up, but then died as soon as the bowl emptied. Did this at least two more times with the same result. Disconnected the fuel inlet and verified the pump is working, and it pumps very strong and steady. The bowl does not seem to be filling.The carb has been rebuilt, by Mark, but has been sitting covered on the work bench. Any ideas out there?

. Any ideas out there?

Bang on the side of the carb near the fuel inlet, see if you can knock the needle valve loose...or take off the top of the carb and check the needle valve visually.

If the tapping doesn't work--There is a small screen (filter) attached to the top of the needle valve seat assy--could be plugged. You'll need to take off the airhorn and unscrew the seat to get to it(be careful not to bend the float arm-or you will need to readjust it)
diag_AVdMfg-77 carb--edit.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that screen could be accessed by simply removing the fuel inlet banjo on top of the airhorn...

If it was rebuilt by mark and sat on a shelf, I doubt that the screen is clogged. I would suspect a stuck needle valve first. And I agree that the screen is just inside the banjo fitting.

I'll check it after I get a new power steering hose made. I didn't like the way it was routed anyway. Be cooler in the morning instead of 102 right now. :(

Leaking oil

Ok so I have run engine for 20 min with breakin oil @ 2000 rpm, yesterday. Everything looked and sounded good. Let cool and changed oil. Went out this morning to set timing. Started engine and started right up. seemed alittle rough but really not that bad. Went around to connect timing light and oil is leaking down side from what I thought was a valve cover leak. Oil is coming from btwn the #4 and #5 spark plug. There is a small holt with what looks like a plug in it. What is this? I take valve cover off and see this... I did not hear any scary sounds. am I screwed?
IMG_20130823_091937_077.jpg
IMG_20130823_092016_709.jpg

Great.

You need to go on the assumption that the previous engine work was done incompetently.

Now that the engine is run in, follow the standard procedure and retork all headbolts, all manifold bolts, and then adjust valves, being sure to tork locknuts adequately.

The leak is the pressed in softplug that closes the oil drilling for the rockershaft. It should have been replaced with a threaded plug during the head rebuild. You can still do it in-chassis. Search this forum for writeups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom