front disc brake conversions 68 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have been looking around the web reading everything that I can find on this swap. What is the best way to go to front discs on my 68. Are there any issues with compatability using the mini truck swap? I've got plenty of time so I want to get this right the first time. Any issues with the single M/C. I've found the BTB power booster conversion, any comments on that upgrade. Income tax check is here, ready to spend a little dough!!!! Thanks Don

BTW I have already finished the rear conversion installation, but have not hooked the whole thing up yet.

It can be done using the Mini parts, but by the time all is said and done, you'll be better off buying a later model disc axle and swapping the whole thing.
Another option is to get even a later model drum axle and doing the mini conversion on it. I think the '68 still has the inner bushing, not a seal and theat bushing needs to be removed, the side gears need to be changed. I could be wrong about that, but later complete disc axles can be had for about $350.
GL
Ed

I did the mini front disc conversion on my 68 and it probably would have been easier to get a disc brake axle and put that under. With that said, like was mentioned, you will need fine spline gears in the diff and if you still have the ball and claw you will have to pull the old brass seal and get a seal that will fit the new axle shaft and old axle housing. If you end up using this axle and want a PN for the seal, hit me up and I will get it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom