Wheels for disc brake upgrade? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking on this site for quite some time. I bought a 1966 from a guy who was torturing the poor rig so (unfortunately) I have a lot of work to do. He had put Jeep axles on it which has been a nightmare and I was finally fortunate enough to find some original 1966 FJ40 axles in good shape. I'm currently tearing them down and rebuilding them, but I've run into a dilemma...I haven't been able to find any manufacturers who produce rims/wheels with the proper offset. I'm also upgrading to 4-wheel disc brakes so the 15" stock rims won't do. I've searched this forum and haven't been able to find anything and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions?

Stock rims, welded, not riveted. Still available OEM.

Or City Racer 16" rims.

Are you swapping the 66 axles to discs? What kit are you using? I ask because 66 axles would be ball and claw shafts, not birfields which isn’t impossible to make disc brake, but adds complexity.

Are you swapping the 66 axles to discs? What kit are you using? I ask because 66 axles would be ball and claw shafts, not birfields which isn’t impossible to make disc brake, but adds complexity.
Honestly, I'm not really sure. The axles should be in this week...being shipped from AZ. For some reason, I thought the 66 axles were going to be birfields like my dad's 69 and never thought to look into it. Now I'm kinda bummed since I wanted the birfields. The ball and claw is a pretty weak axle and won't hold up under the stress since I'm also upgrading to a LS3 W 4L80E tranny. Looks like I'll be selling these once I locate some "69 or newer axles. At least I'll have some wheels to put on the birfields (if I can find some), and then I'll also tackle the disc brake conversion. Thanks for the heads up Skreddy. This will be one heck of a learning adventure. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom