Front Axle Leak / Damage Now What? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advice.

Truck: 2000 Series 100 Land Cruiser with 216k miles

Goal: Drive it to 300k miles / ~3 years and probably buy a newer one (well new to me as I never buy new cars)

Situation: I have a front axle leak by the CV joint into the axle due to bad seal. Unfortunately my wife was driving it and it ran low on gear oil. It isn't really bad, but I hear a little "whine" / hum up there now after filling it up.

Decision: should I take it to a shop and have them do all new seals to stop the leak and just let the gear damage go? Do you think the damaged caused will get worse and not worth paying the $500+ to have new seals put in? I know a new axle is $2k+ so not sure it is worth spending that.

Any thoughts?

I assume you're speaking of the side seal of differential where front drive shaft enters.
I would have:
Drain front differential and measure how much came out to see how low!
Exam old gear lube for metal! Taking note of how much metal was on drain plug magnet and size of particles which some is always present!
Replaced side tube differential seal.
Fill until it ran out with M1 75W-90 gear lube, then let settle 15 minutes and repeat!
Replacing drain & fill washers/gasket torquing to spec!
Drive.;)

Diff seals, crush washer and 2L of gear oil are $45. Pull the CVs and DIY save yourself $450 labor. Nothing substantially technical to it just about 3-4hrs of your time.

Gear whine your hearing maybe related to your transfercase and cold weather.

Think there is a write up here on replacing seal with just disconnecting upper ball joint, steering arm, caliper, and abs sensor. Then pulling CV out of axle. It will just barely work and have to move steering knuckle to just the right spot to get CV fully out.
Know it works as did it on one of my trips, after burying it in mud damaged the seal.

Diff seals, crush washer and 2L of gear oil are $45. Pull the CVs and DIY save yourself $450 labor. Nothing substantially technical to it just about 3-4hrs of your time.

Gear whine your hearing maybe related to your transfercase and cold weather.

What he said^

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this job so I'll probably just pay out. Kids and work make it harder for me these days.

The whine is def due front diff running low on oil.

What I'm wondering now is if the damage (I wasn't able to look for metal shavings / see how low the oil was) is significant that I should spend the money to redo the seals. I'm leaning to just paying someone to redo the seals, fill it up and then just deal with a little whine for the next few years.

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this job so I'll probably just pay out. Kids and work make it harder for me these days.

What I'm wondering now is if the damage (I wasn't able to look for metal shavings / see how low the oil was) is significant that I should spend the money to redo the seals. I'm leaning to just paying someone to redo the seals, fill it up and then just deal with a little whine for the next few years.
Just that bro. I did mine plus the pinion seal. Saved alot of money. Replace seal then ride off into the sunset bro

A ring and pinion set, worn to the point of whining, will likely not last another 3 years. The damage will lead to accelerated wear and ultimate failure. If you are just going to leave it... why bother replacing the seals at all? Unless the seals are so bad that they are essentially non existent... I'd leave it alone, save the $500 for when the gears finally crap out and you need to regear.

Local dealer quoted $3k for new axle installed. I know these trucks last a long time, but it is hard for me to get my head around that with 216k miles on it. I talked to a trusted shop locally that focus on Toyota and they suggested letting them try to track down a good used axle and they would install. This sucks - ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom