Frame preservation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, the outside of the frame is easy (relatively speaking)...
...the question becomes, how do I go about preserving the boxed in sections of the frame? I know there are a thousand ways to skin a cat (pardon the expression), I just want to hear some of the ways its been done.

Toilet brushes and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is used to treat rusted metal. It eats rust more or less and leaves it in a paintible state. You can get it at the home depot paint section

Phosphoric acid kills rust, converting it to black oxide. It looks like home depot and lowes no longer carry it around here, I ordered some from the paint store in the Rust Mort brand today.

randyr said:
Never thought it would be as simple as that...

It's not simple, still lots of work, any of the thick scale rust has to come off and any grease or oil has to be removed for it to work.:D

What are you doing, just cleaning up what you can see, taking the body off, all the way apart?

randyr said:
OK, now what about the tubular cross members?

Use two coat hangars and tack 'em together. Stuff it from one side to another and then pinch a rag in the end with a pair of pliers. Soak it in the ospho and drag it back through a few times. Once it has dried, repeat with your favorite rust proof paint. Allow it to dry and then repeat 4-5 times.

Phosphoric acid... If anybody in the Amarillo area needs some, let me know. I went to Home Depot once and bought some. I got to the register and it rang up $.01 for either a gallon or quart. I bought all the gallons (2) and quarts (8) that they had. So I have 4 gallons of phosphoric acid that I paid $.11 for with tax. :flipoff2: I can't pass up a bargain!

Then go through with something like POR-15 use the search function, you;; find alot of info.

I took my frame to a place that does dip stripping. Came out real nice. Haven't had a chance to really feel up inside the boxed sections, but the dip is suppposed to remove most of the rust (which it did on my body parts).

Wash the dirt out of the inside and keep it in Arizona. It's been working for me for over thirty years:rolleyes: No rust yet.:)

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

John

I had my chassis sand blasted, the guy doing the blasting was able to get to the majority of inside of the boxed frame sections. I used wire brushs to reach a few places the sand blaster didn't reach.

Tools R Us said:
What are you doing, just cleaning up what you can see, taking the body off, all the way apart?

Well, I'll be taking the body off, repairing/replacing rusted spots, stripping and preserving the frame (inside and out), and giving the motor/tranny/tcase a once over...

...in all my vast amounts of time between underways, of course.

randyr said:
Ok, the outside of the frame is easy (relatively speaking)...
...the question becomes, how do I go about preserving the boxed in sections of the frame? I know there are a thousand ways to skin a cat (pardon the expression), I just want to hear some of the ways its been done.

I just made my husband spray everything with ACF50 (an anti-corrosion oil used on aircraft). It's good for the skin, too :grinpimp:

Living in the Past said:
Wash the dirt out of the inside and keep it in Arizona. It's been working for me for over thirty years:rolleyes: No rust yet.:)

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

John

Ditto that,
Very happy after buying my cruiser from Arizona.

my64fj40

3m makes a spray gun that sprays a 360* pattern Sealler and has a tube that is approximately 3-4 feet long..I use it on unibody repairs.. good neat thing.. about 100% though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom