FJ80 vs FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have driven lots of 1FZ 80's in conjunction with work and mine is by far the quickest one I have driven. I weigh 6240 lbs and have stock gears with 33's and it will walk all over most 80's. I'm sure that there is a turbo or two that will take it and likely lighter supercharged ones but they are pretty hard to find (right Turbocruiser?) Where it really shines is when it is towing, what a night and day deal that is at 5000-8000 feet elevation.

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=14725;start=msg139866#msg139866 date=1082069790]
Yeah...... we are all worried for no reason whatsoever :rolleyes:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9853
[/quote]

Still that is only 11, I'd like to know how many had superchargers and how many had mixed fluid. I've looked at a ton of 80s that had mixed fluid (green and red). The two are not compatible and causes a sludge build up especially when combined with aluminum. But then again for someone buying a used one with no history this could be a risk. All used cars have risks. The greater the mileage the greater the risk typically. I will go with Robbie's analysis that there is an issue with the later model ones. He has probably worked on more 80s than I've seen in person. Buying a car is always a crap shoot, you just have to hope the odds are in your favor. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over worrying about it. At mileage of my Cruisers I have to expect that things are going to start to malfunction.

Really appreciate this thread, as I'm trying to convince myself to sell my fj60 and move to an 80. I'm leaning towards an fj80 due to price. I've driven a couple of them, and hands down they're nicer than my 60. My wife's fzj80 is nicer, but that would be more money.

One question, a common complaint about an fj80 is lack of power. Since the 3FE has the weep-hole in the head (like my fj60), and repairing it requires removing the head, does it make sense to shave the head on a 3FE? This is a common thing to do on a 2F, and I hear it's a great mod.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I love my FZJ80 (wife's DD), but I would really like an FJ80 for some more extreme stuff, even consider dropping in a 2F head/carb with non-US distributor and making it the Mexico-mobile

I own a FZJ80 and have only driven 1 FJ80. I don't know where all this lack of power talk is coming from. Granted I'm 46 and am only in a hurry after my second large coffee. It seemed to drive great and I'm probably going to get one for my daughter as her first vehicle.

>> I will go with Robbie's analysis that there is an issue with the later model ones. <<

Interesting. I was not aware that Robbie has reached this conclusion.

-B-

Doug,
if you really want to know how a fj80 will drive I would be happy to let you drive mine, granted its a little taller and heavier than most but it is a great rig and I love it. I live in bellingham but work in sedro woolley(burlington??) seriously unless you plan on doing a lot of towing the 3FE is fine for basic commutes and some long highways as long as you are not in a hurry. I have not heard of anyone shving the head on the 3FE but that doesnt mean it cant be done jsut that it hasnt been done.

Dave

and head gaskets aren't that big a deal if you notice the warning signs... i'm not mechanical, shat myself when my 45's head gasket went, but had it running perfectly within a day, and 200 bux...

>> I will go with Robbie's analysis that there is an issue with the later model ones. <<

Interesting. I was not aware that Robbie has reached this conclusion.

-B-

Robbie wrote this in the headgasket thread reguarding the later models.

Eric V.

robbie
IH8MUD Junior

Re:HEAD GASKET......
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 07:53 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cooling system is the key. Keep it clean and in good shape and you may never have any problem. But the redsign of the headgasket is also a key. There is more metal aournd the coolant sealing areas. the coolant passages at the back of the block are smaller to control the coolant to allow more heat soak and keep this area cooler to not bake the head gasket. 95-97 I believe are also more prone to the head gasket faliure due to OBDII and the aluminum core radiator. I see more deposits in the over flow tank in these model years. OBDII runs the engine leaner so more heat. The aluminum core radiator has it chemical/ electrical reactions going on. This I believe leads to a ealier death of the head gasket in the 95-97. I really do think it is a time bomb for most second and thrid owner trucks that have not had a yearly coolant flush. Even with toyota coolant I believe the owners of these trucks need to have it drained and filled every year or 15kmiles. Just my opinion based on what I have seen over the last 3 years. later Robbie I have to do some work

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=14725;start=msg139896#msg139896 date=1082073691]
I will go with Robbie's analysis that there is an issue with the later model ones.
[/quote]

The issue is there with all years.

I dont think Robbie is excluding 93-94's but rather saying the later years are even more prone.

I do believe that the 95-97's are more prone to HG failure. I see between 2-3 times as many failures in these years due to compression leaks. I see more HG external leaks on 93-94's. I have also seen my share of 2f and 3f head gasket leaks. So my statement about the 95-97 are just that My observations here at the shop. I just finished a 94 head gasket today that was leaking externally. The gasket did show some compression leaks, but not great. He had fresh tracks down the side of the block.
As for the 3FE you can mill the head up to .100 according to Mark Whatley. I personally have had 2 milled .060 with over bored blocks to get about 9.5 to one compression(I would only do this on a fresh rebuild). They run real good. But you must increase cooling on these trucks. I have done a couple of .030 mills on a head gasket job to increase performance and this was real nice with out blowing the bottom end to hell. If you increase too much with out knowing how the bottom end is you could screw up the engine.
Back to the 1FZ, I think it is a wonderful engine that has lots of potiential. THe only Head gasket I have replaced not for failure was a 93 orginal owner truck that the compression was reading too high and he wanted a super charger on the truck. I cleand out the carbon in the combustion chamber.He paid for the head gasket and the other mods needed to get the truck ready for a blower and His truck is great. High well taken care of one owner truck. But he is an exception, he cares about the maintance of his truck, and has done everything to keep it in tip top shape (It must be nice to have millions of dollars)He has about 150K miles on his truck and his bottom end was great.
Personally opinion is get a 93-97 truck with lockers and deal with the problems that come up, maintain it, treat it right and it will treat you right. later robbie

[quote author=Steve C link=board=2;threadid=14725;start=msg139849#msg139849 date=1082068126]

As far as the supercharger is concerned, it is my opinion that the fzj chassis, using the strait axles and having lots and lots of unsprung weight (although well controlled) has about all the power it needs. it just dosn't handle like a sports car.
[/quote]

Mine is loose in and tight off on long runs but nothing a 1/2 lb in the right front and a round of wedge can't fix. It's just that third can of fuel keeps me from getting that five extra bonus points!

chucking in my 2 cents....

I have a 3FE and love it.

I would like to own a later model for the sake of the lockers..but have toyed with swapping in the later model axles because I love the 3FE and the old bus transmission.

I have been through this truck a LOT...ask CDan, he bought his slee stuff with what I ordered from him.

So, issues I know of:
- if your intake is dirty, old, cracked, or stiff rubber, you will have poor performance.
- if your belts are not OEM and properly tensioned you will have loud rides and poor performance.
- Fix the EFI relay with 10 gauge wire before it gets hot out. I still need to. Keep relays in the glovebox if you choose to wait.
- The center diff clunks a lot, keep tire pressures front and rear equal, grease your shafts (hehe) and your U-joints frequently and it minimizes it. If you leave 5 pounds difference front to rear in the tires, it will sound HORRIBLE.
- No lockers, so plan on putting an Aussie locker in the rear and an ARB up front or swapping in later model 80 axles with e-lockers (yummy).
- Oil plug in the side of the engine....fix it when you can, watch your oil until you fix it. HUGE issues if you miss it, no issues if it never happens ;)
- Modify the exhaust to 2.5" and DO NOT screw with the intake. Stock is plenty, and you will get performance with just exhaust. Trust me, I have tried it all.

The cons are minor to me. Torque rocks at low speed, I get great performance at high speeds, take off, etc. I run 32s on stock gears. The later models are better on the road, but the return on investment is marginal given the higher prices. 3FEs are bulletproof.

If you plan on just buzzing around town and wheeling, get an FJ80.
If you plan on road tripping or commuting on the highway, get an FZJ80.

Dedicated wheeler? FJ80, hands down.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=14725;start=msg142075#msg142075 date=1082462421]
- Oil plug in the side of the engine....fix it when you can, watch your oil until you fix it. HUGE issues if you miss it, no issues if it never happens ;)
[/quote]

can you elaborate on this -- or provide a link??

THANKS!

e

I PM'ed ya

We have a 93 FZJ-80 and I definitely love the power that engine gives...very very smooth, and no slowing down on hills. I liked the power feel on it more than a friends V8... Factory lockers...extremely nice even in the minimal wheeling the family does, (I got a beastly 55 for the other wheeling ;) ) but owning a FJ62 as well with the 3FE i would personally go for the 93 and up unless you get a killer deal on the FJ80. Both will run forever tho...

I'm actually lining up a full FZJ-80 drivetrain for my FJ55 right now :D

stepping off soapbox

Having owned a FJ62 with a 3FE, and now an FZJ80 with the extra hp. I would venture to say that a well maintained FZJ80 would be money well spent.

Hi All!! Another noobie here :)
I was guided to this thread in my quest to find the answer to a burning question as to what is the difference between the FZJ80 & the FZJ80R?? I searched and searched and couldn't seem to find the answer anywhere - even my local Toyota parts guy didn't know what I was on about. I wasn't going to give up though, especially when I have parts to buy and I want to make sure I get the right ones and sound like I kinda know what I'm talking about in the process.
In my quest I have read all the comments in this and many other threads along the way, learning a little (realizing I know nothing) but not finding my answer. Finally I went to a Land Cruiser page on Wikipedia and got my answer!!! The "R" means RIGHT HAND DRIVE which is why I wouldn't have found my answer on forums with predominantly American members (I'm in Australia) and probably why the local guy didn't know either!!
Anyway, now that I have that question answered, I'm sure there will be many more to come as I have only owned my baby for 3 weeks now. I have learned a little and look forward to learning lots more along the way. I have to say that after all that I have read during the past few days of searching for my answer, I am most happy to be the proud owner of a 1993 FZJ80R!!
After 5 years of patiently waiting to have my very own Land Cruiser I am super excited and counting down the 21 days until all the necessary work is done to her, money handed over to the mechanic and to the government and I am finally behind the wheel of my big baby and look forward to years of fun ahead of taking her "Out Bush", on the road and making her even more beautiful than she already is. (Tomorrow I am changing the rear sway bar links by myself and in the week ahead I will begin to install LED lights all over).
Thanks for the useful info in this thread. This is my first post anywhere in IH8MUD, apologies if my comment is a little off topic.
Good luck SupraTurd with your purchase.
Kassandra

10550099_10152624880773928_5240604253602852695_ob.jpg

major upgrades to fzj from fj:
fzj : 4 wheel disk brakes, full float axels in the back , ABS and airbag standard, 4.5 engine , 16" wheels

I just went through this decision making process and what did it for me was test driving a 92 that had 33's on it with stock gearing up a grade here on the 95 going up toward Horizon Ridge Dr. It's not a super long grade but enough to slow people down unless they get on it. This truck was struggling to hold 50 mph and I was in the gas more than 50% and the engine was revving.

I have 285/75/16 on my 95 and it was barely noticable from when I drove it around a few days with the stock tires. It feels "heavier" with the 33's but the Rocky Mountains are reviewed as being a heavy tire. Power is fine, cruising at 70 and coming off the line is very peppy when I want it to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom