FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.. Also, 88's are unique in themselves because the back seat fold down extending the bed. handy little feature for hauling/camping!

All of them work that way, I believe. My '89 does.

My preference would be a later model FJ60:

1. These trucks scream for a manual transmission - so I would not want a 62.

2. I have an '84 FJ60 and 2 '87's. They are all great but the later models have the advantage of being able to bolt in a 5 speed transmission with no modifications. If you are planning to keep the truck and drive on the highway, you will want the option of an easy 5 speed installation. I have seen reference to anything newer than 5/85 build date being OK for drop-in installation but you will want to verify (lots of posts available on this, do a search).

So, for my money the best would be an FJ60 built after 5/85.

FJ62 with an h55f and manual windows is the best.

I honestly don't see why anyone gives two chits about round or square headlights.

My preference would be a later model FJ60:

1. These trucks scream for a manual transmission - so I would not want a 62.

2. I have an '84 FJ60 and 2 '87's. They are all great but the later models have the advantage of being able to bolt in a 5 speed transmission with no modifications. If you are planning to keep the truck and drive on the highway, you will want the option of an easy 5 speed installation. I have seen reference to anything newer than 5/85 build date being OK for drop-in installation but you will want to verify (lots of posts available on this, do a search).

So, for my money the best would be an FJ60 built after 5/85.

If cost were no object, apparently, since you have three of these trucks and haven't put a 5 speed in any of them.
The cost of doing the conversion in many cases can exceed the truck's value.
By all accounts the automatic is more sensitive to final drive ratios and therefore can be a liability when running large tires.
The great majority of my driving is stick shift, either my '92 Toyota pickup or my wife's Honda Fit. I enjoy driving manuals, but don't share your feeling that the 60 series screams for it.
So, for a primarily off road truck that will see challenging trails, I would go with a lifted 60.
For everything else, a close to stock 62 with EFI would be nicer.

I honestly don't see why anyone gives two chits about round or square headlights.

Besides looking better (personal preference), you can easily upgrade them. There are some good H4 replacement lamps (Cibie, Hella, etc.) and with a different wiring harness, you can put in all kinds of higher wattage bulbs. You can really make this headlights throw out lots of light. I may be wrong, but I don't think the options are the same for the smaller square headlights.

Hi all, noob to the old school Toyota JFs looking for guidance. I'm currently looking into what seems to be a nice 1987 Toyota LandCruiser with 128,500 miles on it. They're asking close to $20k for this and I feel this is quite high but I'm not entirely sure what to value this vehicle at... hence my post here. Please respond with your assessment on this - any and all feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Here are the remaining details about this vehicle:
  • 6 cylinder
  • manual transmission
  • original gasoline engine
  • 4 wheel drive
  • OME lift
  • 33" Hankook's MotoMetal wheels
  • ARB front bumper
  • New Weber carb
  • Hella lights
  • Corbeau front seats
  • Wet Okole rear seat cover

Not sure if this is the correct location within the forums to post this but it seems to fit so here goes. If this belongs somewhere else please let me know and I'll move/remove this.

I've had both.

I used to be a manual transmission snob for decades, but after wheeling in an auto, it is a totally different and much more relaxing/enjoyable experience. I have been converted. On the road, I'd rather have a manual, although I've gotten used to shifting my auto manually when appropriate and shutting off the OD (mountain driving) and it's really not much different than driving a manual.

FJ60 looks cooler--no doubt about that. Round headlights, more period-appropriate dash layout.
FJ62 some perks-- electric windows are nice to have, double-din stereo for those of us who like navigation, back up cameras, etc.

Both are good. Both are slow and clunky (in a good way). Just pick whatever floats your boat.

Hi all, noob to the old school Toyota JFs looking for guidance. I'm currently looking into what seems to be a nice 1987 Toyota LandCruiser with 128,500 miles on it. They're asking close to $20k for this and I feel this is quite high but I'm not entirely sure what to value this vehicle at... hence my post here. Please respond with your assessment on this - any and all feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Here are the remaining details about this vehicle:
  • 6 cylinder
  • manual transmission
  • original gasoline engine
  • 4 wheel drive
  • OME lift
  • 33" Hankook's MotoMetal wheels
  • ARB front bumper
  • New Weber carb
  • Hella lights
  • Corbeau front seats
  • Wet Okole rear seat cover

Not sure if this is the correct location within the forums to post this but it seems to fit so here goes. If this belongs somewhere else please let me know and I'll move/remove this.

Impossible to say without a ton of photos and vehicle history, but I'd say it's pretty darn overpriced.

Impossible to say without a ton of photos and vehicle history, but I'd say it's pretty darn overpriced.

Yea, I kinda figured it was overpriced although it does look like its in pretty good condition. Unfortunately its a good 4 hours away too so its not like I can just go take a look at it easily. I've attached some pictures below that I was sent from the owner, take a look and let me know what you think! Please.

It looks decent, but an in person inspection is a must. Look for rust (and rust repairs - Bondo) and other funky repairs - hacked wiring, etc. Are you a hands on person, who likes to work on vehicles? If yes, great, you will find these are easy to work on and Mud really helps. If you take it to a regular shop, well, it gets expensive and most don't understand these vehicles.

Prices for LandCruisers are going up rapidly. A few years ago, this would have been a $4-6K 60. The value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Is it worth the price to you? If so, go for it. Don't buy as an investment, buy to use and enjoy.

In-person inspection is always a must, right?!?! Hands-on changing oil, filters, and the like. Ready to dive into more though which is one reason why I am looking for something without computers and tech being involved.

I'm right in the middle of combining my running '89 FJ62 and my rust-free non-running '86 FJ60 - the '86 will have an overhauled 3FE, new H55f, 38mm idler transfer (manual vs. vacuum shift), 4.11s, OME suspension, '70 series 16X6 factory steel wheels with 235/85R16 BFG ATs, Warn 8274 winch on Warn bumper, round headlights, etc. I've also faced the reality re: R12 availability and will be converting to R134a. After reading some of the above replies, I'm leaning towards manual windows (the power windows on the '89 are really sluggish), power door locks, and power mirrors. Right now I'm finalizing the tear-down/clean-up of the '86 (engine compartment empty, wiring harness pulled, complete dash removed, fuel tank/lines pulled, etc.), ordering all needed parts, and slowly removing parts from the '89 while keeping it drivable. Next up - pulling and stripping down the 3FE and dropping it off at the machine shop. Pictures promised as I get a little further into the swap.

Hello.. new here....Looking for opinions on price... looking at a 1st owner 253k miles no rust, few dings, clean interior, 5 inch thick maintenance records, runs really good... thoughts on price?? TIA

here is a pic:
12049467_1233007183383208_8855002394732762788_n.jpg

Hello.. new here....Looking for opinions on price... looking at a 1st owner 253k miles no rust, few dings, clean interior, 5 inch thick maintenance records, runs really good... thoughts on price?? TIA

here is a pic:
12049467_1233007183383208_8855002394732762788_n.jpg

12074593_1233003380050255_3092245917811480492_n.jpg

Looks to be in mint condition. These stock, unmolested Cruisers are the most valuable ones out there. I personally wouldn't pay more than 10K for any 60 series, but this one probably would command a higher price than that. If you really want a show room condition truck ( I don't) be prepared to pay top dollar.

daaang

Don't let your dreams be dreams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom