FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love my 89 fj62, don't get me wrong, but given the chance I'd get a 60. Just a ton less to worry about with the h42 instead of the auto. I'm at 280k right now and it's constant anxiety as to when it'll start to show it's age and die.

4/85 FJ60. The best of the old FJ60 with the newer trans/transfer!!! My Fav & easy as hell to work on!!!

Agree with tmonty. The 2F also received some improvements along with the transmission spacer. The oil galley plug on the back and front of the motor is threaded and much less likely to leak than an earlier welch plug design like mine. The early crossmember is also more of a pain to remove. The bolts are inside the frame rails unlike the later model which can be accessed from below. And the big reason. H55F swappability.

One negative. The 3F bellhousing on newer 2F's rotates the transfercase lower to the ground. You want things nice and high. So in the future when I get a five speed I'll brag about my 2F bellhousing :D

rehashed over and over, but....

1981/2 FJ60's are odd balls with poor parts support (ala it's own steering box).

1981-1983 and even to 1985 headliners suck (esp the early). The "foam" style are really better.

H55 swaps can be done to any, but t-case will not work from 8/80 to 1983 (7th month, maybe earlier). I had one in my May 1983 (used H55/t-case combo) easy fit.

4/5 1985s and later directly take a H55- but I did not say you can't go earlier (see above). Driveshafts (retube about $100-$200 depending on location), gear shift lever (t-case) and a 5 minute grind on bellhousing that's it.

11/1985+ get 38mm t-cases- the best case Toyota made IMNSHO.

4/5 1985 + will even accept FZJ80 steering boxes as replacement.

FJ62's- I don't have a fondness for them, especially the common 10mpg feature (most get that, don't argue the truth!). E windows and auto are downside. Steering wheel/dash is much better than FJ60, rear sway bar, and rear shoulder seat belts are common.

I'd like FJ62's if they were EFI 2F's (3F head on 2F) or carb 3F's (non US) and a H55.
Great summary - thanks.

sorry about frequent post (no EDIT here)
here in I.R.I we have 62's with mannual gearbox
how will be combination of 3f engine + manual gearbox + fuel injection system (some thing like Megasquirt) ?

I have a 89 62, that's been converted to a manual transmission. I love it, teh engine runs great no real issues. Now I'm going to convert the engine from a gasser to a diesel, just because the diesel would be that much better. It really comes down to what you want and how stock you want to keep it.

We like the 1987,1988,1989. No major or long term problems with anything. Power everything works,gas milage around 13-14 with syn. Mobil One, and few add ons. Lost first trany at 270.000 miles on one fj62. Thats not bad. We tow alot. MIke

fusionrx said:
Just spoke to a guy here in the Twin Cities and he has a 90 FJ62 with 158000 miles on it with a leaky gas tank. Wants 2K, but is flexible on price, sounds like he is an Aussie/Kiwi who has to go home. Is the gas tank recall still being run? Previous post said that they had stopped.

Truck has little rust on it but haven't seen it. Worth it? BTW, I am 6'9" and wonder if I'll even fit in the darn thing.

I've got a 62 very nice condition zero rust and lots of upgrades if your interested I'm in saint Paul
image-4015081092.jpg
image-2293527218.jpg
image-985983466.jpg

all 62's in north america is auto transmission?

USA - Yes. Not sure about our Canadian Brothers. I mean, anything is possible in those French-speaking provinces ...

:D:D

I have a 60 - my second one and I also owned and a 62. All were modified The 60 is my favorite by far, the 62 is a capable truck but the automatic is a dog, mileage is terrible and the looks are the start of the end for the truck.

It could always be worse, you could buy an early 80 series that had the same FI motor as the 62 but weighed 1000 pounds more!

I would look for a 10/85 or newer 60

is any diffrence between 60 & 62's frame?

which engine is better in difficult situation?

I've read somewhere on MUD that the 62 frame is beefier, but don't have a link or any other way to support this statement. The 62's have stronger rear leaf spring packs. What do you mean by a difficult situation? Seems to me that EFI would be better in all situations. The aftermarket EFI systems aren't as good as Toyota stock. You could get the used parts off MUD to do the conversion.

Just spoke to a guy here in the Twin Cities and he has a 90 FJ62 with 158000 miles on it with a leaky gas tank. Wants 2K, but is flexible on price, sounds like he is an Aussie/Kiwi who has to go home. Is the gas tank recall still being run? Previous post said that they had stopped.

Truck has little rust on it but haven't seen it. Worth it? BTW, I am 6'9" and wonder if I'll even fit in the darn thing.

In response to this older post, maybe hes still thinking about it? Anyway Im 6'3 and run the seat all the way to the back of everything I get in, (except my Excursion), in a -62 my long legs are kinda cramped, at 6'9, you are gonna want to relocate that seat back some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom