FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, at 6'9" you will be quite uncomfortable with the stock seating position. The TLC seat extensions I have would provide the leg room you need. Lots of head room in these beasts.

From slcfj62 post:
"The A440F can be replaced with a rebuilt/upgraded one from Australia and the achilles heel is now a point of strength. Yes, the Australian tranny will cost about $3K (or more depending on the rates of currency exchange), but so will swapping in a 5 speed manual, and the engine will be revving higher going down the freeway with the 5 speed than with the auto."

So is there no AT replacement options here in the USA? Is that why FJ62 owners go with a manual tranny? Or is that just personal preference?
Why Australia though?

I am also a big fan of the round headlights, but after reading some of these posts, I am changing my mind and going for the FJ62. Particularly after reading slcfj62's post.

Great info on this thread, thank you to all that have contributed.

Should buy with a little rust or no rust?

Good morning to my FJ60-62 community! I am in the market to pick me one FJ60 and wanted to ask the community if it was wise to purchase a truck with a little rust under the gutter and a little on the roof rack? I just don't want to buy something that will drain my pockets down the line...have not seen the truck yet to really assess the damage of rust, but the owner states that it's minimal. Here are two pictures. No accidents, everything has be restored and asking for $11,500...So community, should I? Or should I not? Thank...

fj60-2.JPG

fj60-1.JPG

For $11.5k, there should be zero rust - truck looks sweet though, so maybe that is a negotiation piece with the owner? You can quickly go down the rabbit hole of chasing down and addressing rust, especially on the gutters/roof. Search the 60 forum for "roof rust repair" or similar and see the amount of work involved.

My $0.02

Appropriate Price

Thanks for the input, it is highly appreciated. If I was to negotiate lower price due to rust, how much do you think I should counter? Help! Should I pass on it due to the rust or chance it and see if it's fixable?:bang:

To rust or not to rust?

To the FJ community, if you know of any existing FJ60s or 62s for sale in the Southern California region, please let me know! Thx!:clap:

To be honest, I would have a tough time giving any sort of an estimate for rust removal/repair without pics of the rust and how extensive the damage is. If you have the budget, that truck looks great, but if there is rot on the roof you are looking at a minimum of cutting/welding, paint, and perhaps a new headliner. That could be $2500 in a heartbeat.

Do a search in the forum for roof rust repair, get familiar with what is involved for the various degrees of rot, and then go check the rig out with an educated perspective on what the truck has present. Know that any visible rust is going to be followed with rot that you cannot see.

You can post in the classifieds section of MUD under the 60 section for a "Want to Buy", include your SoCal location, tentative budget, and any add on's, etc. that you are interested in. Might flush a sweet rig out of the wood work.

awww. carp, silver with black really makes me want to repaint my tan truck....

t

awww. carp, silver with black really makes me want to repaint my tan truck....

t
BLASPHEMY!!! Tan is the ultimate color!!!!

That looks almost like Darrel's (TheMachinist) truck!

:) Yes, tan is the ultimate color for a 60 and a 40. My 62 is red. :frown:
Silver is second place for 60s, except with black wheels. They bump it down to the bottom.

Thanks for the advice community! I saw the truck and it was more than he had mentioned. The rust was cancer in its early stage. Outside of that, the truck was PERFECT!!! Sigh...Moving on....

I had a FJ40, a 60 and an 80 and to be honest I like all three. The 40 was great off roader, lousy on the highway, and lacked of room inside, Now at this time I have the 60 and the 80; the 60 has what I lacked on the 40, except the highway manners, the 80, to me has the best of both worlds. I have never tried a 62, but to me it looks like the link between the 60 and the 80; like someone mentioned here, is a matter of preferences, after all, if it is Toyota is GOOD!!!:D

Wow.. this sums up my dilemma perfectly. I sold my '71 FJ40 about 2 years ago, due to it being too small and bumpy for my family.

I'm looking to buy either a 60-62 or 80 series rig, probably in April-May... but torn. Somebody mentioned swapping the front of a 62
to look like a 60? Is that practical? Are the bodies otherwise identical? I know the purists probably hate this idea.. but it sounds intruiging.
So if I'm reading it right... there are NO FJ60s with manual transmission, or fuel injection? In CA, with highway traffic and smog regulations,
that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. FJ62 it is... but I really like the look of the 60. :bang:

Do the 60, 62, 80,s have disc brakes?

Do they differ in the rear bed space. I will be doing some solo camping out of the back on short fishing/hunting trips, and wondering how
much sleeping room there is with the 2nd row folded down flat? or does the whole bench need to be removed from the rig entirely?

I may need to take a longer look at the 80-series rigs. I need automatic, fuel-injection, AC, disc brakes. It needs to be highway driveable,
and hopefully comfortable as a daily driver, and the occasional long road trip hopefully.

Thanks for all this great input. Love this site.:clap:
-J

Hello FJ60/62 community - I recently purchased a 1988 FJ62 with 135k miles, and I am pumped. My question for you all is how common was it for 62's to come stock without electric windows, mirrors, and door locks? I thought that they were all built with those features...but mine is bone stock, without any of those, and was not modified either. I mean, I like it this way, I just thought that the electric feature were some of the significant differences between the 60 and 62.
Thanks!

Hello FJ60/62 community - I recently purchased a 1988 FJ62 with 135k miles, and I am pumped. My question for you all is how common was it for 62's to come stock without electric windows, mirrors, and door locks? I thought that they were all built with those features...but mine is bone stock, without any of those, and was not modified either. I mean, I like it this way, I just thought that the electric feature were some of the significant differences between the 60 and 62.
Thanks!

I don't know how many were built like that, but I have never seen one in person here on the west coast.

It would be interesting if someone had that figure..

At least you won't any problems with the power windows and locks. My 62 has been fine in this area, I must have gotten a good one as I see a lot of problems with others.

Enjoy your new (to you) FJ62. Me and the wife have decided that we are going to keep ours it forever!..

Thanks!
Does the Ignition System on your FJ62 use points or is it electronic ignition?

I would think that all US FJ62s used electronic ignition and those FJ62s sold to rest of the world markets would have points.

I wonder if the VIN would give you additional information....

I don't know how many were built like that, but I have never seen one in person here on the west coast.

It would be interesting if someone had that figure..

At least you won't any problems with the power windows and locks. My 62 has been fine in this area, I must have gotten a good one as I see a lot of problems with others.

Enjoy your new (to you) FJ62. Me and the wife have decided that we are going to keep ours it forever!..

I just picked up an '88 myself! Same package manual windows/locks. I actually prefer this route because its less to worry about. Plus, its a rare combo too ;)

I saw a video from Jon Ward (owner of TLC) and he said only the 88's came like that. Also, 88's are unique in themselves because the back seat fold down extending the bed. handy little feature for hauling/camping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom