Builds FJ45 Custom Troopy build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Timbo FJ45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.3advertising.com
This is going to be backwards seeing that the LC is already done. I had always meant to do this earlier just could never find the time. So here it goes. Over the next few weeks I am going to try and add photos and info concerning the build. Hope you all enjoy. Cheers -Tim

Below is the finish product. Although, I guess it will never really be finished, right?
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

How it all started. Below is a drawing I did which I sent to Don Haywood over at Wolf Creek Rod Works.
I asked: Can you build it? He said: Yes I can.

He came down to Albuquerque and picked up our Land Cruiser. Loaded it up on a trailer and took it up to Pagosa Springs to start the build.

Top2.jpg

Here it is heading up to Pagosa. Some of you might freak on the idea of a FJ45 Long Bed turning into a Troopy. The Long Bed still lives. It didn't go away. Two LCs were born from one. Attached is the finished Long Bed which does not belong to me.
IMG_1062.JPG
FJ45 Long Bed.jpg

Don got it down to the frame and started test fitting the Ram Jet 350.

Specs are: Chevy Ram Jet 350, GM Serpentine belt system, Griffin Cross Flow Aluminum Radiator, Dual 11 inch Spal fans (independently controlled), CS 144 200 amp Alternator, NAV 4500, 5 speed overdrive, Orion 4 to 1, Advance Adapters Twin Stick Control

0406121431.jpg

We put a lot of thought into the suspension. I wanted 37s but also wanted to keep it Spring Under. Alcan came through with some custom springs and AllPro with the Walker Evans Bead Locks.

BF Goodrich 37inch Krawlers. Walker Evans Bead Locks. Alcan Springs with Bilstein 7100 Shocks. Front Shackle reversal. Disc brakes front and rear. ARB lockers front and rear with 4:11 gear ratio.

Thanks Guys. @boozewz @CycloSteve

Below are the drawings we sent to Pacol so they could get started on building the new Troopy bed. This is after we cut about 10 inch off the back of the frame. We did this so we would have a better departure angle. But we wanted to leave enough room for a Man-A-Fre 21 gal tank and keep it looking nice. The photos are pictures Pacol sent us after they finished and were ready to ship from Panama.
4.jpg
5.jpg

FJ45_tub.jpg

Original FJ45 body/bed was sold. Donor 1966 FJ40 was cut behind door pillars, retaining the forward portion. Extended custom rear section was fabricated by PACOL, including custom flat floor for passenger compartment. The 1966 cowl was mated to the new rear section. Front fenders were replaced with new OEM fenders (not shown here). Doors, hood and front bib original from my FJ45.

Thanks booze for the heads up.

Also look forward to the playback.

Subscribed.

1980 FJ 43
1982 FJ 40
1996 Fzj80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom