fj40 2f milage boosting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm a 3b guy but a good friend of mine has a 45 with a 2f and needs some tune up tips. My sugestion is to get rid of the Ram and use the 45 for a daily driver / work vehicle. So I'm wondering what mods can one make to Enhance the milage.
Propane... Nat. gas. etc... apart from turning truck off when coasting down hills ! lol
Friend is in the Calgary Alberta area so ideas , prices and business or contact people would be appreciated.

altaparadise@hotmail.com

Thanks
A.M.

Propane may be cheaper than gas, but you would probably have to drive a long way to get your investment back. Slipstreaming tractor trailers can help. The only thing that can really boost fuel economy is limiting your driving to down hill. The best solution is to get a beater honda civic for your commute.

When I bought my 78 FJ40 gas was 38 cents a gallon ...it didn't matter much then

I find that keeping the key in the off possition also helps

selling it will get rid of the insurance costs, too :doh:

it might be helpful to know what kind of driving/distances we are talking about and what kind of mileage he gets currently - that engine needs quite a bit of time to warm up and no amount of modifications will save you gas on a 10 minute commute

Any one ever heard if putting a 3F head on a 2F block and going EFI?

I think it may be along the lines of TBI..... Thoughts

Just posted a Question about that. I was told it needs to have flat top pistons to clearance but makes good power. But for the trouble im thinkin engine swap. My 1990 62 with the efi motor gets like 12 mph but... I drive the shizzzle out it. AT best it gets 15, and an ol' school 350 tbi will do that on the low side. with mo' power

trailor it

That's actually a pretty good one. :)

These fuel economy threads always invite humor. It's pretty natural because the cards are seriously stacked against the 2F powered FJ40. One of my favorite quotes from a fuel economy thread here on MUD was lcwizard saying, 'the 40 has the aerodynamics of a cinder block.'

But, the fact is, people get wildly different mileage with 2F powered '40s. Lots of guys seem to be getting 9 mpgs with normal, on-the-road driving, the average guy seems to be getting 11mpgs, and a couple guys are claiming to get 18+ consistently. Going from 9 to 18 is such a HUGE potential difference that the original question is still really interesting to me. My mileage seems to range from about 12-16 depending on how well my rig is running, and it would have to go from daily driver to weekend warrior if I was getting less than 10.

One thing that no one seems to argue with is that sending your carb and dissy to Jim C. or Mark A. is a sound investment if you're looking for mileage. Tall, narrow tires are another common suggestion.

Good luck! :cheers:

I thought Tall tires have the effect of gearing up your rig ( which would help you gain mpg).

Being honest I didn't buy my FJ for the mpg but it's always nice to save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom